DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Processor Chip Overheated - dji maintenance

marlonmarinho

Reactions
Hello guys, im Marlon, from Brazil. ( Sorry, my english s from google translate )

I have a mavic air bought a few months ago and little used. My drone never crashed and presented the problem "processor chip overheated" The fan was apparently not working, so I sent DJI's assistance here in Brazil. They are telling me that they have to change the PLATE CENTRAL and I have to pay for it (approximately $ 400 dollars ) They opened the drone and it was with a bit of beach sand. There are advertisements with mavic air landing and taking off from the sand on the beach and without any problems. DJI says it's my responsibility to let sand into the drone. But I claimed that the drone is closed and has no way to clean. It is even an AIR OUTPUT and not an entrance. They are claiming that the central plate is burnt, meaning the software did not work properly when it says that it will turn off to not overheat. I would like to know the cases that they had, because I will go to court against the company and are proposed here in Brazil.

Can we help ourselves?
Thanks ! []´s

Attachments

• IMG_2476.PNG
    IMG_2476.PNG
    399.3 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: quad
I think you may need to pay for the repair. Sand is the enemy of all drones, and can hurt every single component if it has any salt whatsoever in its contents. Most people who take off from a beach use a landing pad, or even better, take off away from the beach, and do a flyover.

The cooling fan is just as important as the motors or props. If the fan gets clogged and stops working, your main board temperature will climb from 106° to over 150° in less than a minute. That temperature will "thermal" or melt the component the fan was meant to cool. As part of every repair, especially after a crash, I always make a point of checking that the fan is working.

In your case, the core board of the Mavic Air sells for around $175 on eBay, so DJI must be charging you 3 or 4 hours labor to replace it, if thats the only problem. Can you post a picture of the DJI estimate?

It's rare that I agree with DJI's decisions, but this time they might be right.

i would have expected the air craft to immediately rth or land when the cooling fan stopped.
google translate did a more than adequate job translating from portuguese to english

Eu teria esperado que a aeronave avançasse imediatamente ou pousasse quando a ventoinha de resfriamento parasse.

o google tradutor fez um trabalho mais do que adequado traduzindo de português para inglês

i would have expected the air craft to immediately rth or land when the cooling fan stopped.

Unfortunately, there is no sensor to detect that the fan has stopped, just like in your car. The first warning you see is an idiot light saying that the engine is overheating, same as in the Mavic where it might tell you that a chip is overheating. By that time, it's usually too late to save the board, plus, the drone wont RTH due to that error. Kinda scary.

Last edited:
dji might consider putting a sensor in future models, since the fan is protecting a $150 part and several hours of labour.

O dji pode considerar colocar um sensor em modelos futuros, já que o ventilador está protegendo uma peça de US $ 150 e várias horas de trabalho.

Hello,
But the biggest problem is that the drone did not even take off. I was alerted of the problem and the same was unable to fly. Being that it would hardly reach the temperature to burn the plate.
This is stranger ...

Hello,
But the biggest problem is that the drone did not even take off. I was alerted of the problem and the same was unable to fly. Being that it would hardly reach the temperature to burn the plate.
This is stranger ...

Just leaving the Mavic Air sitting turned on for 1 minute on the ground will bring the boards temperatures to 110 - 125° with no fan. 2 minutes will bring it up to 160° with no fan working and will fry the board.

I hate to say it, but I think you bought a bad drone. It probably crashed and the fan was broken. When you flew it, the fan wasnt working and it fried the core board.

dji might consider putting a sensor in future models, since the fan is protecting a $150 part and several hours of labour.

I'll tell you what. DJI cooling fans, for a very cheaply made and flimsy looking product, are extremely reliable. Out of the thousands of drones I have seen come through here, only a handful of them had fans fail due to wear and tear.

Almost all the fans I have seen had failed due to bent or broken fan blades obstructing proper rotation in the shroud. Sometimes you can get lucky and hear the buzzing of a broken fan blade, and you know something is wrong. Other times the fan will just seize, and that's the worst possible scenario. You might think after a crash that everything is ok, but that fan means everything to the boards, and without it, they are toast.

Yes, it would help if DJI made RTH imperative on an overheat, but the first thing that happens is you lose video feed, and sometimes control, then you have to go figure out where and if your drone is going to land. Bad news of you are outside of VLOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada