DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Confirmed! Latest Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or.......maybe, just maybe, people are more scared to fork over $5 because then they can't afford to give up their Starbucks coffee for the day.....???‍♂️?‍♂️
could be

Just need to make sure whatever you use works. We don't even know if Skydio 2 has problems.

Seriously? You're looking at a $400 drone and a $1500 drone. What do you think?
Of course it’s a downgrade from a M2P, and almost certainly from the MA too. But depending on what you want, it might be preferable. I’ve been debating getting a M2P but for cost and size, I might get one of these in the interim. 2.7K (if it’s 60fps) is not a problem as I prefer the high frame rate to higher resolution on the Air anyway, and I’d feel better flying a cheaper drone over water or forests if video quality is similar. And the size is compelling for making it easy to carry (not that the MA is huge), although I don’t care about registration.

Last edited:
This is why the Skydio 2, although in a different price bracket to the Mini, is likely to be a big winner.

I hope you’re right because I want some more competition for DJI, but the Skydio seems to be in a weird place: easy enough for anyone to use, but too expensive for most of those “anyones.” There will be a market, of course, but I don’t know that it will be that big. People willing to spend that sort of money, at least among the people I know (which may not be a proper sample, I admit), will largely want something more capable and are willing to spend more money for it. it almost seems like a bike with training wheels but at a racing-bike price.

competition like everyone thought GoPro would bring. Or even the Autel.
No one seems to be able to deliver a true competitor to DJI. Id like to see it, but not holding me breath. I would imagine DJI has some tech in its pocket it can pull out if ever a true competitor arises.

Reactions: dirkclod
I hope you’re right because I want some more competition for DJI, but the Skydio seems to be in a weird place: easy enough for anyone to use, but too expensive for most of those “anyones.” There will be a market, of course, but I don’t know that it will be that big. People willing to spend that sort of money, at least among the people I know (which may not be a proper sample, I admit), will largely want something more capable and are willing to spend more money for it. it almost seems like a bike with training wheels but at a racing-bike price.
Don’t kid yourself, anyone can fly a DJI as well. Any drone with GPS has training wheels...

Of course it’s a downgrade from a M2P, and almost certainly from the MA too. But depending on what you want, it might be preferable. I’ve been debating getting a M2P but for cost and size, I might get one of these in the interim. 2.7K (if it’s 60fps) is not a problem as I prefer the high frame rate to higher resolution on the Air anyway, and I’d feel better flying a cheaper drone over water or forests if video quality is similar. And the spice is compelling for making it easy to carry (not that the MA is huge), although I do t care about registration.

I do agree with what you say.
IMO, different people have different perspective of needs and wants.

For me, wants are things that are good to have, but not necessary to individual.
and of course, people need to pay a premium for a lot of wants, thats how business earns our money.

For example MA, one of the 'disadvantage' compare to other mavics is the connection and distance.
4km is more than enough distance i would go, i wouldnt want to risk losing my drone.
for others 4km is too short of a distance to capture footage they would like.

So in short, be it a downgrade or a upgrade, its up to individual.
I guess most importantly, is get a drone you are most comfortable with, that you think it suits your needs, and of course you have to pay a little extra for the wants features.

Good luck and enjoy flying.
hope to see you footage soon!

competition like everyone thought GoPro would bring. Or even the Autel.
No one seems to be able to deliver a true competitor to DJI. Id like to see it, but not holding me breath. I would imagine DJI has some tech in its pocket it can pull out if ever a true competitor arises.
Since this is the only forum I read I don’t know much about the competition. Are Autel’s products comparable? Yuneec’s? The specs on the Yuneecs look impressive, at least, and the price is better than DJI. Just curious.

So, Who is ready for the Mavic Mini Presentation? Fly As You Are? Remember, there will be pop up links to guide you to the DJI Store during the presentation, so click that Buy button! ;)

If you have a Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro wouldn't it be a downgrade to get a Mini?
If you already have a Mavic 2 it wouldn’t be a downgrade, it’d be an accessory/alternative/backup. I have a very nice SLR but I also carry a nice (but much cheaper and more portable) point and shoot camera most of the time. Sort of a similar thing. For most folks, the Mavic Mini will probably be sufficient, just like my backup camera would be for most folks (Truth be told, probably for me too 95% of the time, but I like my toys, especially since I can’t get any more for a while now that I have kids).

Reactions: zeeeegerman
Similar reason I bought a Tello when I have an M2Z. Easy to carry, easy to fly indoors, resilient to crashes. Just a bit of a pain to get everything connected.

Similar reason I bought a Tello when I have an M2Z. Easy to carry, easy to fly indoors, resilient to crashes. Just a bit of a pain to get everything connected.
I bought a Tello because it is a lot of fun to fly and if it crashes, whatever, it’s not going to break, and mostly I bought it for my kid because she always wanted to fly my Mavic Air and I wanted to get her some practice. But you reminded me of a good point - the Mini is a drone I’d be ok with letting my older kid fly. She PROBABLY won’t crash it (and I won’t let her fly it anywhere she might cause damage or hurt anyone) but it’s a nice step up from the Tello.

Since this is the only forum I read I don’t know much about the competition. Are Autel’s products comparable? Yuneec’s? The specs on the Yuneecs look impressive, at least, and the price is better than DJI. Just curious.
Ive played with a couple of birds in the yuneec line. Bigger NFZ issues than DJI. (at least where i am), and i think tge quality is way inferior. I cant get an Autel where i am unless i go "Off the official grid", which i dont like to do. When spending my money, i like to know ill have some sort of support.

Ive played with a couple of birds in the yuneec line. Bigger NFZ issues than DJI. (at least where i am), and i think tge quality is way inferior. I cant get an Autel where i am unless i go "Off the official grid", which i dont like to do. When spending my money, i like to know ill have some sort of support.
Good to know. The Yuneecs at my local Best Buy look bigger on the display (sort of like a mini-Inspire) but still cheaper than the DJIs (even for the hexacopter models) which leaves me wondering if they’re low quality or if DJI’s models are overpriced.

Interesting on the NFZ issue. can you elaborate (at the risk of taking this totally off topic, in which case we can talk privately)? I’ve never had a problem with my DJI and I live in pretty congested airspace (I even registered my Tello). But I keep hearing about this issue. What are the Yuneec limitations?

Edit: I suppose I could just join the Yuneec forum and ask there, and I may. It would be nice if we could have some cross-posts, though. Or at least the ability to register for all forums.

Last edited:
Where i train is right on the fringe of airspace but have had no problems with dji. They are pretty well setting the nfz at 3nm. But the yuneec nfz seems to be around 5nm. This is just my experience where i operate.

I do think dji are overpriced, but thats consumerism at play, but definately better built than the yuneec. I also find the yuneec to be no where near as stable when flying. Dji birds are like being in rails.

If the nfz isnt an issue where you fly, and you are after a lower priced bird, im sure yuneec are fine, i think im just spoiled now. Ive always been on custom builds (usually using DJI flight controllers) or off the shelf dji products

It probably has Force Mobile and Activetrack 3.0 support.

Wait what? Only the Ronin-S and SC have force mobile and activetrack 3.0 support. Did i miss something?

The mavic mini will not have stereoscopic image sensors to the front like many are expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv