DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

Precision landing is by default now is it not. You do not need to select it. Some of you guys need to wait a bit before announcing failure or disappointment. Likely that any modes missing like gestures would be down to lack of use. DJI will have data on all mavic 1 and Platinum models

Should have mine soon so will report back
It has been tested. No precision landing, not even automatic. However it will detect unsuitable landing site and hover 2 feet, asking if you'd like to land. Doesnt help though if you have a narrow descent corridor.

It's not a deal breaker, but the removal of precision landing is puzzling. I don't use it a ton, but it is a cool and actually useful feature.

Hopefully they'll add it back in at some point, it seems unlikely there would be a hardware limitation.

Different question. I'm addressing whether DJI advertised features or modes that are not included, not whether there are features or modes that someone may have assumed would be included but were not.

Yep. And we have the proof here; just listen (beginning at 24:44) to what the guy tells the audience as an explanation & purpose for the newly installed downward LEDs:

Reactions: sar104
Yep. And we have the proof here; just listen (beginning at 24:44) to what the guy tells the audience as an explanation & purpose for the newly installed downward LEDs:

Good observation - he specifically mentions precision landing. That presumably has to mean that they intended it to be a feature, and so hopefully it simply wasn't quite ready and will be included in an update.

Yes, but if I buy a car, and the sales manager tells me during the car presentation that my car will have air conditioning, then I expect to get the car with the coolant installed and working from day one, and not “maybe later”. There was never a “maybe later” warning or disclaimer in that DJI presentation either, when the LEDs were advertised.

Last edited:
Yes, but if I buy a car, and the sales manager tells me during the car presentation that my car will have air conditioning, then I expect to get the car with the coolant installed and working from day one, and not “maybe later”. There was never a “maybe later” warning or disclaimer in that DJI presentation either, when the LEDs were advertised.
Bang on!

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
I look it more like a safety feature of a vehicle such as LKA or the like. If, let's say you bought a Gen 1 of a vehicle model and all models of that generation came with LKA standard, to suddenly drop such a thing in the second gen of the same model would be shocking to most consumers. Likewise, maybe you're a perfect driver (never tired, overworked, distracted, etc.) and you never "used" such a safety feature in the past...that's irrelevant...it's still a clear backwards step to remove something like that. So, I completely disregard all of the "I'm a pro pilot and I don't do jack automatically"-BS without second thought.

So, playing devil's advocate here and rewatching the video, one could say he didn't say anything about any sort of automatic landing precision... That being said, my point above still stands. I don't give a rat's arse if they said it or not. It's clearly a well-known part of their product line and the typical consumer is going to expect improvement or maintenance and not steps backward.

Now, does it make it some kind of terrible drone or is it a complete showstopper? Of course not. However, if they don't "re-introduce" it or replace it with a superior tech, then yeah...it's a valid step backward and very illogical.

Im just trying to make a list of things that were on the Mavic 1 but seem to be missing (so far) on the initial Mavic 2 release.

So far i think its:-

• No portrait mode. This is permanent and cant be fixed due to hardware limitations so workarounds needed
  • No precision Landing - I guess a firmware update to add this as all the sensors and more are there. Although, im not sure if it does it "by default" now or not
  • No D-Cinelike/Colour profiles - I guess a firmware update could add these
  • No Cinema 4k - Maybe firmware fix?
  • No fixed wing mode - Not a big issue for most i don't think
  • Loads of intelligent modes missing:-
    • Any Gesture Mode
    • Course Lock
    • Terrain Following
    • Home Lock
    • Follow Me
    • Waypoints
  • No direct control from mobile device
  • No customisable battery discharge profile. Its fixed on 10 days and cant be changed

Other things, we really need the engineers to release a LUT. Only they know the gamma profile and other details to actually produce one. No 3rd party has access to those details.

Anything else the old drone has but the new doesn't? To be fair, most of it looks firmware fixable.

Updated 2/9/2018
Does SRT location data not deserve a spot on the list? It was a cool feature.

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

Reactions: DanMan32
The one thing that disappoints me the most is that consumers are discovering these issues rather than DJI proactively informing us in advance. There is no harm at all in communicating that key features (that have previously been released within the Mavic 1 range) are as yet unavailable, but will be (or will not be) available with future firmware updates. This scenario that we find ourselves in creates unnecessary negative publicity for the brand as a whole in my view, but especially for the Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom product group. It almost devalues some elements of the positive PR created by the product release event, not to mention a degradation of trust from a very loyal customer base. In my view, it will be helpful if DJI quickly responds with some public announcement regarding the key software changes from the Mavic 1 range to Mavic 2. No doubt there is plenty to celebrate regarding innovation and improvements with the Mavic 2 range, but there is evidence that key missing software features are causing pilot error and even mission failure, such as the missing default autofocus (unusable footage) and the lack of precision landing assistance for limited & precise locations with challenging weather conditions etc. Surely precision landing is a key safety feature for professional drones. DJI?

The one thing that disappoints me the most is that consumers are discovering these issues rather than DJI proactively informing us in advance. There is no harm at all in communicating that key features (that have previously been released within the Mavic 1 range) are as yet unavailable, but will be (or will not be) available with future firmware updates. This scenario that we find ourselves in creates unnecessary negative publicity for the brand as a whole in my view, but especially for the Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom product group. It almost devalues some elements of the positive PR created by the product release event, not to mention a degradation of trust from a very loyal customer base. In my view, it will be helpful if DJI quickly responds with some public announcement regarding the key software changes from the Mavic 1 range to Mavic 2. No doubt there is plenty to celebrate regarding innovation and improvements with the Mavic 2 range, but there is evidence that key missing software features are causing pilot error and even mission failure, such as the missing default autofocus (unusable footage) and the lack of precision landing assistance for limited & precise locations with challenging weather conditions etc. Surely precision landing is a key safety feature for professional drones. DJI?

I agree with you 100%. It would be nice if DJI stepped in or someone in this forum who has some clout expressed your thoughts and all that’s been said since this thread was initiated to DJI so that we can get an official answer directly from them and put our minds at ease!

Anyone out there who has an in with DJI?

Am I completely blind or is the Mavic 2 still missing waypoints? I take off, get up to ~20 feet, click on the remote control... I see a bunch of special flight modes like POI, follow me, cinematic... etc., but I do NOT see waypoint? I am using ipad mini 4.

im sure they will use the precision landing, they went from a sonic on the first one to visual and IR- so im sure thats not totally ready yet. But i did not see after reading all of this the "follow me mode" I do like this mode better when im tracking a car becasue there are so many distractions with active track

I don't understand what you are asking.

OK, you were referencing the post I referenced. I suppose that was an spell-correct error and he meant 'thumb'.

Gotcha. Thumb . Thought l was missing feature. Thank you.

I've read here that "Course Lock" is missing. If I am not mistaken, I believe it's under "Tap Fly", and you select "FREE"
One taps in the direction you want to fly (Make sure you view the horizon line for Climb/Descent). As. you fly, you are "Free" to rotate...
similar to the Course lock.
I was out test flying "Tap Fly" just today.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J