DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the long post and I appreciate again. First I dont think I set the auto landing at 20%. As I said I flew at least three times between 12-15% and it never auto land or force land. I can't find my drone which I suspected it was on a tall building or it has been taken by someone. I searched for 3 days and nights but couldn't retrieve it. I only wish DJI would compensate some of my loss and they could change the firmware to a more reasonable way, i.e. cancel land with stop button. As I said, 20% is more than enough to come home for sure.

Enough ignorant speculation. Low battery and critical low battery were set to default (20% and 10%) but they did not control this event because smart RTH was enabled. The sequence is shown in the figure below:

smart_battery_autoland_event.png

At 760 s the battery % fell to the calculated smart power RTH value (32% at that distance and altitude) and the FC initiated RTH. 11 seconds later you decided to ignore that and cancelled RTH. At 915 seconds the battery % fell to the calculated smart power autoland value (20% at that altitude) and the FC initiated autoland. That's there to prevent your aircraft from falling out of the sky due to your incompetent piloting, so quit whining about it.

Last edited:
Time to abandon this thread. What a trainwreck. Eerily similar to that Italian guy about a month ago .

Reactions: Kilrah
So my take away is that I believe I had a misconception that the critically low battery alarm, was the same as the critically low landing.
Yep, when Smart RTH is enabled the alarms are the "target" and not the "trigger", i.e. instead of starting RTH when hitting low alarm it starts RTH in order to be on ground at the low alarm level. Same for Landing and critical level.

Reactions: paulmike3
Yep, when Smart RTH is enabled the alarms are the "target" and not the "trigger", i.e. instead of starting RTH when hitting low alarm it starts RTH in order to be on ground at the low alarm level. Same for Landing and critical level.
This thread wasn't a total waste of time... I just learned something. I'm always on the ground by 20%, so I haven't experienced the critical low battery behavior. Good to know.

Time to abandon this thread. What a trainwreck. Eerily similar to that Italian guy about a month ago .
It is oddly similar to that thread ~in that, the craft in both threads did EXACTLY what it's supposed to do (perfectly so). Both users canceled RTH, then blamed DJI and closed their minds to all advice given. Set your watch ~we should see this again in about a month...

Reactions: upthedowns
That's why I suggested this might even be the same person making a new account - so similar on all points.
Haven't managed to find the thread again though, guess it was deleted?

That's why I suggested this might even be the same person making a new account - so similar on all points.
Haven't managed to find the thread again though, guess it was deleted?
I remember that thread. Out of curiosity I looked up the map coordinates in the screen grabs in the first post in this thread and they're in Malaysia.

Malaysia, by the way, restricts drones to no more than 400 feet and the OP was flying above 1,100 feet.

Last edited:
Maybe we need a new category for threads like this where the OP will not listen to the unanimous analysis of this entire community. We could call it "boneheads".

Threads like this have great instructive value and could really be useful if they were easy to find.

I remember that thread. Out of curiosity I looked up the map coordinates in the screen grabs in the first post in this thread and they're in Singapore.

Singapore, by the way, restricts drones to no more than 200 feet and the OP was flying above 1,100 feet.
120 M/400 feet, but still.... Malaysia drone rules. All locations in the screenshots are in Kulai and are heavily populated areas. Also against the Maliysian rules to be flying over that.

I'm not usually a drone cop, but this was pretty darn reckless.

Maybe we need a new category for threads like this where the OP will not listen to the unanimous analysis of this entire community. We could call it "boneheads".

Threads like this have great instructive value and could really be useful if they were easy to find.

I agree [emoji106]. Maybe we can vote for top 10 [emoji38].
I think everyone either gets a recap of things we already know, or learn something new. It’s not a total waste.

Me either since you can do stuff that isn't by the book in safe conditions when you know what you're doing. But in this case he clearly does NOT know what he's doing nor wants to learn.

If I'm reading this right, the AC had just enough time @ 20% battery remaining to descend from 1,102 feet AGL to land with the battery nearly 100% depleted. Doesn't matter what the settings were, the software did its job and initiated auto-land when it knew it could still make it down, then brought it down just before the battery ran out. Imagine if it did what the OP wanted (flew around some more at 1,100 feet with not enough juice to make it down), then ran out of battery @ 1,100 feet AGL, powered off, and fell like a brick (probably 120-150 MPH at impact)? He could be posting from a Malaysian jail cell because he killed someone. He should be praising DJI for their impressive technology right now, not complaining, IMHO. :rolleyes:

The force landing was the thing that make me kill someone too if it lands on a highway. The free fall definitely won't happen as I already plan to make it back at 20% not 0%.

This thread wasn't a total waste of time... I just learned something. I'm always on the ground by 20%, so I haven't experienced the critical low battery behavior. Good to know.
Thanks. This was my first time too. It never happen even I flew 12-15% several times before. That's why I am so frustrated because it happened to me so unprepared.

120 M/400 feet, but still.... Malaysia drone rules. All locations in the screenshots are in Kulai and are heavily populated areas. Also against the Maliysian rules to be flying over that.

Yes, but please read my previous post. I have video distortion and according to another forum it was because over heating in tropical country. I thought it was interference so I flew much higher to take some pictures and videos and get down. That area was very rural and I make sure it was very safe to fly that high. Still my apology for breaking the rule.

Well, now you hopefully know that you must be on the ground at 20%, not start coming back.

Not on the ground for sure but on the way back. I'm still totally trust DJI can make it back at 20%. Not force landing.

Then don't complain if you crash again, becasue as all the above posts explain you must not go that low - as DJI points out to you by forcing landing. So you "trust" something you're explicitly told not to do.
I have my low battery warning set at 30%, and always land between 25 and 30%. Somehow never got an issue in hundreds of flight - go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77