DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew so many times with 12-15% that's why I never aware this time it will force land at 20%.
You were explained why, you don't listen.
I've clicked about 10-20 times hoping to cancel the force landing.
"Only a fool repeats the same thing and expects different results".
There is no cancelling a forced landing, one press that does nothing was enough to understand it. You can prevent it by keeping throttle up which you were told and can see in your log, which you ignore.
If it only left 1% I will trust you.
So you will never trust or listen to anyone because that won't happen since it is not safe to land at 1% and smart battery calculations do not use that as a base, like you were explained and ignore.
Your stupid scenario you're asking people to reenact is not even representative of your own situation.

You were explained why, you don't listen.

"Only a fool repeats the same thing and expects different results".
There is no cancelling a forced landing, one press that does nothing was enough to understand it. You can prevent it by keeping throttle up which you were told and can see in your log, which you ignore.

So you will never trust or listen to anyone because that won't happen since it is not safe to land at 1% and smart battery calculations do not use that as a base, like you were explained and ignore.
Your stupid scenario you're asking people to reenact is not even representative of your own situation.

So rude...hopeless than me..

Hah. Just found this thread. Been busy and the first one got locked, so I moved on. A few things I learnt here, especially the smart RTH.
I am surprised no one mention you shouldn’t be flying over highways or heavily used roads, which the OP used as a justification for cancelling forced landing.
I don’t think anyone here would risk their Mavic trying the OP’s experiment. Unless he’s prepared to replace with a new one if the experience that fails.
To keep batteries healthy, don’t drain batteries below 20%, unless planning to do deep charge. Otherwise you’ll be complaining about battery life. Take care of your batteries, and you fly more often.

That's a better advice
So, you didn't take my advice and analysed your flightlogs by your own...
Hence the question: Do you know how the Smart.Battery algorithm works?

So, you didn't take my advice and analysed your flightlogs by your own...
Hence the question: Do you know how the Smart.Battery algorithm works?

Sorry I didn't...Guess no one will take the risk to prove me wrong. i will try it by myself when I get another MP..

Sorry I didn't.
So you do not know about variables/constants such as: SMART_BATT.landTime, SMART_BATT.land%, SMART_BATT.battery% and more.

As you are doing precise calculations as in your post #33:
my last height and distance at 20% battery was 339 m and 671 m. Say if the descending speed is 3 m/s and horizontal speed is 8.3 m/s , the time need to return home is 339/3 + 671/8.3 = 193 sec.

you should know there is a value in the algorithm which is set at 135 seconds. Whenever that value is reached by FC calculations, SMART_BATTERY.status switches to: ReqLand.

So - the FC decides 'land NOW!', no more playing around, it's getting serious!

Again, your chances are already over with simply RTH (you cancelled it already and you were to high and to far away)

This sequence of events can be self studied by analysing the logs, or take the results given by @sar104 or many others.

What the OP fails to comprehend is that as soon as he cancelled RTH, any chance of a claim against DJI was gone.

It's a useful thread in terms of education, but any and all actions done after RTH were completely beyond any kind of DJI liability.

If DJI had been a more responsible company, they’d be submitting your flight logs to the authorities for breaking the law....
I am pretty sure DJI has been turning a blind eye on all the refresh claims with flight logs of pilots not following rules and crashing their drones.
OP needs to give it up. No one cares or want to push their beloved Mavic to its limits to see it’ll return safely at 0% battery. There is no real benefit to it, with high risk of a loss.
Most of us accept the programming behind the RTH and smart RTH function. It’s to protect the drone, especially from irresponsible pilots. What the OP is complaining about is not a bug in the software, it’s a feature. A good one I think.
Last week, a friend had to fly from Brisbane to Roma (~500km). Bad weather, and after attempting to land twice, returned to Brisbane. I am pretty sure every passenger on that plane was glad the tanks weren’t filled just to reach Roma with 10% left.

Unfortunately I am looking to buy it soon. Don't fly near me or you will get in trouble.

Wish you luck then man. I lost one to pilot error, owned up to it, learned from my mistake, replaced it and have had lots of fun since. I was lucky enough to find my lost drone months later and I now have 2. I do not push the limits, I follow the rules and I continue to learn from more experienced users in this forum. Again if you plan on buying another MP, maybe you’ll apply all the advise given and I can assure you that you will have a better experience with your MP. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I mean to cancel the force landing but not RTH. At least 20 times I would say but the record only show two. It seems they purposely delete or not record my actions?

I'm sure that's true - this is all a big conspiracy to cheat you out of a free replacement aircraft. DJ and all the experienced and knowledgeable users on this forum don't understand how these aircraft work at all and are deliberately misleading you.

We've clearly messed with your logs to cover up the irrefutable evidence that you are a skilled and knowledgeable pilot who would never make the mistakes that you have cruelly been accused of. And now we are even refusing to crash our own aircraft to try to replicate the problem. I think you should go to the press - this is big.

Let's see if I can summarize what everyone has tried to tell you.

Do you have a screenshot of the UAV Forecast app showing the wind speed at 339m above ground level at the time you were flying to prove that there was "no wind?" Just because you didn't feel wind on the ground, doesn't mean anything about what was happening at 339m above you. I was flying yesterday, and the wind was 9 MPH at ground level with 41 MPH gusts at 1500 feet...wow, big difference, huh? Have you ever even looked at the UAV Forecast app? You have thrown around all of these numbers to support your assertion that you didn't screw up, but you are ignoring several vital variables:

1. What was the wind speed at that altitude?
2. What was the wind direction at that altitude?
3. What was the air temperature at that altitude?
4. And, really, this is the most important variable: you didn't factor in how the Mavic is PROGRAMMED to fly. The manual will tell you all day what to expect at different battery levels. It doesn't matter what YOU think it can handle when the Mavic is programmed to make decisions that are different than your estimates. And your estimates appear to be based on two variables (time and distance), while the Mavic makes decisions based on time, distance, battery temperature, wind speed, wind direction, motor exertion, and many other factors...including, and see if you can understand this, a simple safety margin.

So, at the end of the day, your calculations are useless because they ignore vital variables. You could have flown 50 feet off the ground from 100 feet away with no wind all day long and run the battery way down. But with a strong headwind on the return trip from 674 meters away, the calculation becomes completely different. And if the battery is cold, the calculation changes even more. And we both know your calculations were performed after you got home, so it's not like you were making these assessments while you were flying. You're just trying to justify your poor decisions after the fact.

And even if your calculations did include all of the variables that you obviously ignore, it doesn't change the fact that the Mavic is programmed with a safety margin and DJI fully discloses how the Mavic will react at certain battery levels. And you either chose to ignore what you read in the manual, or you never read the manual.

Well, this is what you get. Fly illegally, don't read or understand the manual, don't check the forecast at the altitude you're flying, ignore the warnings, override the safety programming, panic, and then get surprised when it crashes.

Yeah, it was your fault.

But that doesn't mean you're an idiot...we've all made mistakes with flying our Mavics...it doesn't make you an idiot to make a mistake.

But it will make you an idiot if you don't learn from it.

Do you have a screenshot of the UAV Forecast app showing the wind speed at 339m above ground level at the time you were flying to prove that there was "no wind?" Just because you didn't feel wind on the ground, doesn't mean anything about what was happening at 339m above you. I was flying yesterday, and the wind was 9 MPH at ground level with 41 MPH gusts at 1500 feet...wow, big difference, huh? Have you ever even looked at the UAV Forecast app? You have thrown around all of these numbers to support your assertion that you didn't screw up, but you are ignoring several vital variables:

4. And, really, this is the most important variable: you didn't factor in how the Mavic is PROGRAMMED to fly. The manual will tell you all day what to expect at different battery levels. It doesn't matter what YOU think it can handle when the Mavic is programmed to make decisions that are different than your estimates. And your estimates appear to be based on two variables (time and distance), while the Mavic makes decisions based on time, distance, battery temperature, wind speed, wind direction, motor exertion, and many other factors...including, and see if you can understand this, a simple safety margin.

So, at the end of the day, your calculations are useless because they ignore vital variables. You could have flown 50 feet off the ground from 100 feet away with no wind all day long and run the battery way down. But with a strong headwind on the return trip from 674 meters away, the calculation becomes completely different. And if the battery is cold, the calculation changes even more. And we both know your calculations were performed after you got home, so it's not like you were making these assessments while you were flying. You're just trying to justify your poor decisions after the fact.

And even if your calculations did include all of the variables that you obviously ignore, it doesn't change the fact that the Mavic is programmed with a safety margin and DJI fully discloses how the Mavic will react at certain battery levels. And you either chose to ignore what you read in the manual, or you never read the manual.

Well, this is what you get. Fly illegally, don't read or understand the manual, don't check the forecast at the altitude you're flying, ignore the warnings, override the safety programming, panic, and then get surprised when it crashes.

Yeah, it was your fault.

But that doesn't mean you're an idiot...we've all made mistakes with flying our Mavics...it doesn't make you an idiot to make a mistake.

Wind is often a big factor, but wasn't in this case: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

This was simply very poor decisions on the part of the pilot who did not (and still doesn't, apparently) have any idea how smart RTH/autolanding works.

Reactions: paulmike3
Yeah, I just don't see any evidence that he even knows that wind COULD be different at different altitudes. Or that he knows the wind could affect anything.

I've got to stop feeding the troll, though.

Yeah, it was your fault.

+1

Reactions: Afremont
Yeah, I just don't see any evidence that he even knows that wind COULD be different at different altitudes. Or that he knows the wind could affect anything.

Right. Although that could be restated in a simpler form: there's no evidence that he knows anything at all about the subject of flying UAVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom