DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

I have been bitten by the chazmavic bug. Bought a 3d printer (that was long over due) and chazz sent me the adapter plate file. And how did we ever survive on this planet before amazon 2 day delivery??

Wish me luck, let the surgery begin! I went ahead and ordered a backup mavic (just in case) :)

dronemods-2018-146.png

Good luck beanbubba!

Hopefully #9 can stay in the box for a while...

Build is complete now (the Chazmavic2). I love how it still can fold down and be compact.

Too late for test flights, will try tomorrow.

dronemods-2018-155.png dronemods-2018-154.png dronemods-2018-153.png dronemods-2018-152.png dronemods-2018-151.png dronemods-2018-150.png

Reactions: chazz and lolo780
I'd just like to add that you guys will want to lock the front arms as I crashed my Platinum when a front arm folded back in flight.

You may also want to reinforce the rear arm at the thin section. I crashed the Platinum again and I think the arm cracked there. Motor obstructed error in flight.

I'm not sure how strong the 3d resin is, but I would want to see some triangulation of the motor mount. If you hit wind turbulence the aircraft pitch and roll can be surprisingly high frequency.

Reactions: milchoni and chazz
I'd just like to add that you guys will want to lock the front arms as I crashed my Platinum when a front arm folded back in flight.

You may also want to reinforce the rear arm at the thin section. I crashed the Platinum again and I think the arm cracked there. Motor obstructed error in flight.

I'm not sure how strong the 3d resin is, but I would want to see some triangulation of the motor mount. If you hit wind turbulence the aircraft pitch and roll can be surprisingly high frequency.

chazz and I were just PM'ing about the front arms and I think I may have a cotter pin solution for that. I need more detail on your triangulation comment as I don't understand.

1tFyQkP.jpg

2312 960kV

AxJ34eP.jpg

2312A 800kV

e6UGJAD.jpg

Mavic with prop threads

By triangulation I mean adding stiffness in the vertical plane.

The 960kV motors apparently work better for heavy loads and long range, but that's with stock 9450 props. For larger props I think you guys made the right choice with 800kV.

Reactions: milchoni

the 3d resin's pretty strong as long as your 100% filled. Well i cant snap it with a reasonable amount of force at least.

Were exactly you talken about on the rear arms? I worry a little about where the 3 bolts attach the mount to the bird that seems pretty thin.

1tFyQkP.jpg

2312 960kV

AxJ34eP.jpg

2312A 800kV

e6UGJAD.jpg

Mavic with prop threads

By triangulation I mean adding stiffness in the vertical plane.

The 960kV motors apparently work better for heavy loads and long range, but that's with stock 9450 props. For larger props I think you guys made the right choice with 800kV.

There was a debate on the phantom forum when it happened. Some with the old style (960) said their's was better some with the new style (800) said that was better. Some were ready to sell their bird to get the new ones. DJI says the new ones are more efficient and you gain a minute or 2. I believe the current distance record holder has the new type..I personally don't think there was much of a difference but i really don't know because i always had the new type.

Chazz, please tell me did you get any warning messages/errors during the first flight with the original battery?

Chazz, please tell me did you get any warning messages/errors during the first flight with the original battery?

Yes check the Airdata link in my 4th post.

Do you plan to test this mod?

Last edited:
the 3d resin's pretty strong as long as your 100% filled. Well i cant snap it with a reasonable amount of force at least.

Were exactly you talken about on the rear arms? I worry a little about where the 3 bolts attach the mount to the bird that seems pretty thin.

I printed an extra adapter and could not break it with my hands, it only flexed some. I had to get pliers out to break it. It feels like it will stand up to the p3 motor stresses. Since he went to 100% fill on the 3d printer settings, I would second chazz's opinion that the connection point at the mavic arms is probably the weakest point.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I printed an extra adapter and could not break it with my hands, it only flexed some. I had to get pliers out to break it. It feels like it will stand up to the p3 motor stresses. Since he went to 100% fill on the 3d printer settings, I would second chazz's opinion that the connection point at the mavic arms is probably the weakest point.
What does each adapter weigh? Motors seem like they will add ~100g total.

If the motor swap shows promising efficiency how about 3d printing the bird side arm shape adapted to round tube like an Inspire. Then any length tube can be bonded in, and the appropriate motor mount clamped on the end.

What does each adapter weigh? Motors seem like they will add ~100g total.

If the motor swap shows promising efficiency how about 3d printing the bird side arm shape adapted to round tube like an Inspire. Then any length tube can be bonded in, and the appropriate motor mount clamped on the end.

Now you are talking! I will investigate, but I suspect the 3d printer material is on the heavy side for what we want. But there are many possibilities here to streamline all this.

After the initial build I received ESC errors but I used the factory motor wiring that was a smaller awg. I went ahead and rewired the whole bird with new 22 awg wire to match the p3 motor leads. I am still getting the errors and at a standstill not sure what else to try at this time.

Anyone have ideas here??

NOTE:

The p3 motor has black/yellow/red wire leads. I only had black/white/red wire on hand.

I wired like this (motor to bird):

black to black
yellow to white
red to red

I hope this is simply wired incorrectly and someone will skool me :)

dronemods-2018-162.png dronemods-2018-161.png dronemods-2018-160.png

I’ve just bought 4 motrs and I was about to install them on my Platinum today when I red this post. Maybe it’s a fw issue because chazz’s connecion order Is the same. I am very concerned and I will watch this thread very carefully.

Last edited:
Chazz, my Mavic Pro was built in JAN2018.

Just curious what era model you have trying to narrow the possible differences.

Sad. I tried with just one motor attached and got the same error. Then resoldered the 3 wires with different combinations and nothing...

Attachments

• 36032D60-A9D0-4002-9D05-768FD5940E2B.jpeg
    36032D60-A9D0-4002-9D05-768FD5940E2B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom