DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

After the initial build I received ESC errors but I used the factory motor wiring that was a smaller awg. I went ahead and rewired the whole bird with new 22 awg wire to match the p3 motor leads. I am still getting the errors and at a standstill not sure what else to try at this time.

Anyone have ideas here??

NOTE:

The p3 motor has black/yellow/red wire leads. I only had black/white/red wire on hand.

I wired like this (motor to bird):

black to black
yellow to white
red to red

I hope this is simply wired incorrectly and someone will skool me :)

View attachment 38248 View attachment 38249 View attachment 38250

It looks correct..

Sad. I tried with just one motor attached and got the same error. Then resoldered the 3 wires with different combinations and nothing...

Did you cut the last few mm of wire off the motor leads? When they're new they have tin, or whatever it is, at the end of the wire that is hard to solder and needs to be cut off...You should see 2 copper strands...The attachment is a pic of how i first tested to see if it would work...

Attachments

• IMG_7083.JPG
    IMG_7083.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Did you cut the last few mm of wire off the motor leads? When they're new they have tin, or whatever it is, at the end of the wire that is hard to solder and needs to be cut off...You should see 2 copper strands...The attachment is a pic of how i first tested to see if it would work...
They are used motors from a friend of mine. When starting up I hear cliks and the 3 original motors plus the phantom one are moving slightly as it shoud be. But when I activate the motors to take off only the three original motors start spinning and an error occurs. It happens every time no matter in what order the wires are soldered.

That's unfortunate. Is the error the same as beanbubba's? I would still cut the end to make sure its a clean solder joint...I hope others test this mod to see if it works for them and maybe help get to the bottom of this...

Not saying this has anything to do with either of your problems and it very unlikely but i would like to mention this...The only time I've ever gotten an esc error was on the phantom pro after replacing a motor. I soldered a little too hot and it caused the solder to splash. After looking over the board with a magnifying glass i notices the smallest piece of solder between two pins of an eprom. I picked it off with an X-acto knife and the esc error when away. I got very lucky finding that because it was barely visible.

Attachments

• IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 83
I am runing 01.03.0400 flashed with No Limit Dronez tool. I have NFZ and Altitude removed, Normal+ and Sport ++ mode.
After missing the success this morning with Phantom motor I upgraded to original 01.04.0300 FW. I’ve cut the wires about 1 cm and resolder the phantom motor. And still the same error.....

Last edited:
Not saying this has anything to do with either of your problems and it very unlikely but i would like to mention this...The only time I've ever gotten an esc error was on the phantom pro after replacing a motor. I soldered a little too hot and it caused the solder to splash. After looking over the board with a magnifying glass i notices the smallest piece of solder between two pins of an eprom. I picked it off with an X-acto knife and the esc error when away. I got very lucky finding that because it was barely visible.

Well, got a magnifying glass out and sure enough I found 2 tiny solder beads that splattered onto other connectors on the board. I carefully plucked them out, but still no love. I will keep examining for more solder debris. Good call chazz.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Yes, I cut the ends of the motor leads off.

Just figuring out this 3d printer. I think I will take lolo's advice and print the entire rotor arm.

Baby steps...

dronemods-2018-164.png dronemods-2018-163.png

Reactions: lolo780
I think both motors are 14 pole. If someone has both handy right now to count?

Maybe no load current difference?

I just tested this and all i can say is anyone testing lion batteries and having compass errors this is a must have... It worked awesome..Not one compass error on a 4s6p lion battery test..Not even close to an error...The shape of this can definitely be improved and the caps are worth nothing and you're better off without them... If anyone decides to work on an improved more aerodynamic shape post it here please..I won't be doing that in the near future because it works more then good enough for me...I attached the 3d print drawings and the extension cable can be found here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XRFPJB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_7462.JPG IMG_7463.JPG IMG_7464.JPG

Attachments

• Compass Extender.zip
    352.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: beanbubba
Attached are the rear arm 3d print files if anyone wants them. They actually weigh a little less than the factory arm plus chazz's original adapter. I tried to break it with my hands pried over my knee and it held together. Maybe someday investigate making it lighter, but thats not important until we fully vet the solution first.

dronemods-2018-166.png
dronemods-2018-167.png

Attachments

• mavic-rear-arms.zip
    142.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: milchoni
Attached are the rear arm 3d print files if anyone wants them. They actually weigh a little less than the factory arm plus chazz's original adapter. I tried to break it with my hands pried over my knee and it held together. Maybe someday investigate making it lighter, but thats not important until we fully vet the solution first.

View attachment 38354
View attachment 38355

Wait a minute, don't print those arms. I changed the motor mount and just got it off the printer and it will break with hand strength. I will fix it and post new files later tonight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom