DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Altitude?

Can you post flight logs so some of us can actually determine what actually happened? It does sound strange. Please read manual. It should tell you how to read the telemetry on the screen.

Can you post flight logs so some of us can actually determine what actually happened? It does sound strange. Please read manual. It should tell you how to read the telemetry on the screen.
ok, because I am new to all this stuff...It was my first flight ever....It was a beautiful sunny day.... I am very surprised at how easy it was to handle flying the DJI mavic... I thought it was going to be harder but flying the Mavic pro is as east as driving a car.

What is that max radius? I'm a little confused by that, as it shows the max height being quite a bit larger than the max radius. Is that supposed to be beginner mode or something?
I don't understand all that stuff either....

what kind of super copter did u buy, 9000ft heigh stock is insaneeeeee, even modded that would be a record, i think the heighest mav is just over 8k. i think as mentioned u have the distance mixed up, still 9000ft out is pretty far too,

Reactions: ksmusa
I think OP was creative. Even in perfect conditions (and with FAA approval) my neighbor was not able to get above about 6,000' ASL with a Mavic Pro for a commercial shoot. His thought is that higher is possible but only with perfect flying conditions which IIRC is air pressure, humidity, and wind at various altitudes. And, IIRC, clouds are necessary but with a ceiling considerably higher than how high you want to fly.

Please post flight logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: stgermaniac
yes reading is good but I learn better from youtube videos with pictures and stuff..There is a lot to learn about flying a drone.... I bet people that have been flying for 15 years don't know every thing yet.

If you prefer videos subscribe to these two - they provide some good tutorials for newbies

If you want to get technical about it, it's set to 30 meters since Beginner Mode is enabled by default.
I might have discovered why MPs might not actually be in beginner mode, and I'm pretty sure mine wasn't. On FB someone has complained that a firmware update reset a lot including their RTH altitude, and of course everyone's updating things prior to flying for the first time so there's a chance it's changing the default beginner mode to normal?

On FB someone has complained that a firmware update reset a lot including their RTH altitude, and of course everyone's updating things prior to flying for the first time so there's a chance it's changing the default beginner mode to normal?
Yep -- firmware updates reset the aircraft settings. I was referring to the initial setup in DJI GO. When you activate a new aircraft, Beginner Mode is enabled by default.

9000 feet is more than 5 times the max altitude. My guess is either he's winding us up, or he was reading the distance and not altitude.

Reactions: Pietros
Worry about what's legal first, last thing you want to do is bring down a helicopter or whatever. In the UK the legal max is 120m, I set mine at 115m.

A UK CAA Max altitude exemption actually allows for fpv up to 1000ft provided the competent obverser has sight, less than 3.5Kg, etc.

Rob.

500m?... I live n the USA but when I was flying my Mavic Pro earlier today I put it in the shy and I could not see my drone but when I looked down at my DJI GO 4 app. the altitude numbers were 9057.. Is that meters or what? I am new to the drone stuff.... Finally I hit RTH and it took quite a long time to get back.... I am a newbie.
That sounds like distance.

I took almost 15 minutes to come back when I hit RTH.

Possible...at 9,000ft. But obviously as a newbie, you would know if you modified the firmware.
At 5200 ft it took my mavic 7:38 seconds to come down at stock speeds ~10ft per seconds.
But, at 6000 ft, unless you modified the battery parameters, it will force you to land due to "it's" calculation on battery flight time remaining. At 6000ft I was forced to land because it though I had only enough to land when the battery was at 65%. I landed after the force landing and it was 35% full still.
Even at 8000ft, I had time to hover for a sun rise.

Reactions: genesimmons
The service ceiling of a Mavic Pro is 16,404 feet. (5,000 meters). Page 59 of the user manual v2.0.

If you were asking about something other than the drone then safety guidelines vary per location.

Ksmusa's post above is a good description of what the app will allow based on the home point.

Last edited:
I think OP was creative. Even in perfect conditions (and with FAA approval) my neighbor was not able to get above about 6,000' ASL with a Mavic Pro for a commercial shoot. His thought is that higher is possible but only with perfect flying conditions which IIRC is air pressure, humidity, and wind at various altitudes. And, IIRC, clouds are necessary but with a ceiling considerably higher than how high you want to fly.

Please post flight logs.
1/2 the people in Colorado wouldn't be able to take off if the max was 6000 ASL. I've flown as high as 12,500 ASL.

Reactions: SxSmith
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada