DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Altitude

Thomas A Gara

Reactions
Hi Folks, I work in archaeology in the Andes (6,000 meters max) so the question is what is the maximum altitude for a Thunder Drone? I could be working at 5,500 meters or more where the air is quite thin.

You wanna be careful going up that high - the drone will only descend so fast - your average flying speed is about 33 km/hr (regular mode) but your descending rate is much lower - if you go that high you may find yourself in freefall after the batteries run out - maximum descending rate has to be about 3 meters/sec (10.8 km/hr) or 200 feet per minute - I wouldn't try it.

Reactions: Thomas A Gara
Hi Folks, I work in archaeology in the Andes (6,000 meters max) so the question is what is the maximum altitude for a Thunder Drone? I could be working at 5,500 meters or more where the air is quite thin.
Thunder Drone??
From the specs for the Mavic Pro: Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 16404 feet (5000 m).
But the Mavic Pro has been flown higher than that.

You wanna be careful going up that high
He wasn't asking about flying up 5500 metres from sea level.

I'd suggest that you swap the stock DJI propellors on your Mavic Pro, for Master Airscrew 'Stealth' prop's designed for the Mavic Pro. These prop's are more efficient (provide the same lift at lower rpm), and therefore should get you a few more metres on the service ceiling spec'.
[I'm assuming that you have a Mavic Pro - as that's the part of the Forum you have posted in ...]

Last edited:
Other people have talked about using drones at higher elevations and the drones work fine . Flying times will be shorter than flying down near sea level . Post some cool pictures if you get a chance .

No, he was asking for worse: 6000m above ground that is probably already way above sea level.
You do know that you can fly from up in the mountains?
You don't have to be down at sea level to fly in the mountains.

If the OP is doing archaeological work in the mountains, it's extremely unlikely that he's going to be down the bottom and wanting to fly 5500 metres up.
And when someone talks about mountains of 6000 metres, that is 6000 metres above sea level.

Last edited:
Should be ok. Like has been mentioned get the Master Air Screw Stealth props which have a higher pitch angle than the stock props, this means the props won’t have to spin as quickly to get the same amount of lift as the stock props. Keep an eye on your drones internal temperature and let it warm up before take off since it’s winter there now it will be very cold and also keep an eye on the wind

'Thunder Drone' - wasn't that something to do with Mad 'Max Altitude' ?? ?

You wanna be careful going up that high - the drone will only descend so fast - your average flying speed is about 33 km/hr (regular mode) but your descending rate is much lower - if you go that high you may find yourself in freefall after the batteries run out - maximum descending rate has to be about 3 meters/sec (10.8 km/hr) or 200 feet per minute - I wouldn't try it.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
The Andes are 6k, I'll be working at 4-5k. I sure that my altitude from where I stand would be much less.

Should be ok. Like has been mentioned get the Master Air Screw Stealth props which have a higher pitch angle than the stock props, this means the props won’t have to spin as quickly to get the same amount of lift as the stock props. Keep an eye on your drones internal temperature and let it warm up before take off since it’s winter there now it will be very cold and also keep an eye on the wind
Thanks. will do. :)

Other people have talked about using drones at higher elevations and the drones work fine . Flying times will be shorter than flying down near sea level . Post some cool pictures if you get a chance .
Will do. Thanks.

I'd suggest that you swap the stock DJI propellors on your Mavic Pro, for Master Airscrew 'Stealth' prop's designed for the Mavic Pro. These prop's are more efficient (provide the same lift at lower rpm), and therefore should get you a few more metres on the service ceiling spec'.
[I'm assuming that you have a Mavic Pro - as that's the part of the Forum you have posted in ...]

thanks. I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
The Andes are 6k, I'll be working at 4-5k. I sure that my altitude from where I stand would be much less.
Keep in mind this is pushing the operational limits of the aircraft so you’ll really have to be mindful that you’ll be pushing it and so I would plan on landing with 30-40% battery remaining.

Also the MavicPro will only fly up to 500m above where it takes off from unless you hack the software so if you are at 4000m you’ll only be able to fly up to 4500m not 6000m

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998