DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max distance limited with 2 of 3 batteries

cbudwine

Reactions
Hello
I’m new to flying drones, i purchased my Mavic Air 2 last December 2020 with the fly more package. I numbered all 3 batteries and am having a difficult time figuring out why batteries 2 & 3 will not fly farther than 160’ with a max altitude of 98’. 1 can fly as far as the signal will allow me on battery 1. I have updated the firmware on all 3 batteries as well. Can someone help me?

Hello
I’m new to flying drones, i purchased my Mavic Air 2 last December 2020 with the fly more package. I numbered all 3 batteries and am having a difficult time figuring out why batteries 2 & 3 will not fly farther than 160’ with a max altitude of 98’. 1 can fly as far as the signal will allow me on battery 1. I have updated the firmware on all 3 batteries as well. Can someone help me?
These battery updates are tricky , just to make sure connect to your Assistant 2 and check the battery to secure the update was done,

I just flew the other day and the mavic went 150 ft and i got stopped . Turns
out the update that I thought I had gotten on the battery was not really updated.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Air 2 in the in the Rain / Snow

Last edited:
I am pretty sure there is a similar thread to this somewhere in here, I am sure I saw it within the last week. I can't remember the drone but if you use the search function (magnifying glass on the RHS of the 2nd tool bar) you may find it.

Interesting problem. If I encountered this issue, I would make sure the batteries in question do not need a firmware update. Most of the copter and RC firmware updates also involve updating the smart batteries as well. It’s easy to miss this step sometimes, and this could be the result. If you are not sure about this, there are tons of videos on YouTube related to updating battery firmware. Doing so would be a good place to start anyway, as it would rule that out.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Past thread pointed to battery update or issue with App on iOS. IF on iOS switching to airplane mode will override...still hunting for that thread :p

Past thread pointed to battery update or issue with App on iOS. IF on iOS switching to airplane mode will override...still hunting for that thread :p
Yeah. This can't be a one time issue. I have not seen that other thread though, but it sounds like some good advice there.

Yeah. This can't be a one time issue. I have not seen that other thread though, but it sounds like some good advice there.
On iOS has to do with App permissions...going into DJI Fly and Go 4 and turning off Location services for those apps have reportedly solved the issue on App side. It is fairly simple to update battery firmware.. You update the aircraft once with any battery, power down and insert next battery and power up...rinse repeat for any subsequent battery, the fact that people can't do such simple steps leaves me a bit boggled?

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Just because you purchased the batteries together doesn't mean they are from the same "batch". Please post manufacture date for all 3; maybe the "good" battery is from a different batch? The only other thing is verifying firmware (already mentioned).

These battery updates are tricky , just to make sure connect to your Assistant 2 and check the battery to secure the update was done,

I just flew the other day and the mavic went 150 ft and i got stopped . Turns
out the update that I thought I had gotten on the battery was not really updated.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Air 2 in the in the Rain / Snow
Again, I’m new to this, the only app i have is the DJI FLY app. Where/ do I get the Assistant 2, i assume it’s an app?

I am pretty sure there is a similar thread to this somewhere in here, I am sure I saw it within the last week. I can't remember the drone but if you use the search function (magnifying glass on the RHS of the 2nd tool bar) you may find it.
I searched and did find related issues as far as having a limited distance and height but I have not found anything related to the batteries causing the issue. That doesn’t mean there isn’t one, i just have not been able to find it. yet!

On iOS has to do with App permissions...going into DJI Fly and Go 4 and turning off Location services for those apps have reportedly solved the issue on App side. It is fairly simple to update battery firmware.. You update the aircraft once with any battery, power down and insert next battery and power up...rinse repeat for any subsequent battery, the fact that people can't do such simple steps leaves me a bit boggled?
I have updated the firmware on all 3 batteries. It is very simple, once the controller/app connect to the drone, the home page of the app says you need to update the battery firmware. Firmware was updated on all 3 batteries and am still having the same issues on batteries 2 & 3.

I searched and did find related issues as far as having a limited distance and height but I have not found anything related to the batteries causing the issue. That doesn’t mean there isn’t one, i just have not been able to find it. yet!
I couldn't either, which is a pity.

EDIT
I think this is it, it talks about similar problems with the batteries I thnk

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i figured out the Assistant 2 program. It’s a computer program i had to download. I connected my drone with battery 2 and under the firmware tab it showed that it was up to date. Will continue researching and let you know if i figure it out.

Hello

Hello
Same issue here. Unable to fly past 1570' with any battery.

Same issue here. Unable to fly past 1570' with any battery.

Do you mean 1570 feet up, or 1570 feet laterally from you?

If you mean 1570 feet up, that's a hard-coded limit in the drone. (you also shouldn't be flying above 400 feet up legally in the US anyway, but that's another discussion)

Reactions: MA2 317
Do you mean 1570 feet up, or 1570 feet laterally from you?

If you mean 1570 feet up, that's a hard-coded limit in the drone. (you also shouldn't be flying above 400 feet up legally in the US anyway, but that's another discussion)
laterally of course, but I found the issue was in the settings. I think 500m was set as a default

Reactions: Sjkieffer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31