DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Most Efficient Speed?

Longest flight *time* is definitely tripod mode. Longest flight *distance* is a different matter.

Max distance speed is likely the 27mph max N mode speed. On other DJI aircraft, it was always very close to the max P mode speed which was 31mph, and the old P mode is the equivalent to the new N mode on the MA2.

No - not zero - hovering takes a lot of energy. For instance note that a helicopter has a max hovering altitude that is lower than its max land/take-off altitude.

No - not zero - hovering takes a lot of energy. For instance note that a helicopter has a max hovering altitude that is lower than its max land/take-off altitude.
Interesting I just hypothesised in my head. Once again (similar threads lately) very interested to see data on this stuff and the optimum speed for distance.

it’s able to be calculated from our logs easily. Just got to do some flights with straight runs in and back with wind at various speeds. Just couldn’t be bothered, need a boffin to setup the flights & crunch the numbers.

A helicopter, or multi-rotor, is most efficient in directional flight (Translational Lift). Hovering in place takes much more energy due to turbulence and vortices which get left behind as the flow of air becomes more horizontal.

Also, it makes no difference which way the wind direction is coming from. Aircraft fly with respect to a moving air mass, which to the aircraft, looks stationary. The only thing that changes is ground speed. Airspeed is the same flying with the wind or against the wind. Some folks have trouble grasping this concept…

Reactions: hiflyer201
A helicopter, or multi-rotor, is most efficient in directional flight (Translational Lift). Hovering in place takes much more energy due to turbulence and vortices which get left behind as the flow of air becomes more horizontal.

Also, it makes no difference which way the wind direction is coming from. Aircraft fly with respect to a moving air mass, which to the aircraft, looks stationary. The only thing that changes is ground speed. Airspeed is the same flying with the wind or against the wind. Some folks have trouble grasping this concept…
Makes sense, similar to boats

got lots to learn from a Rc car racing background.

Last edited:
This was actually answered by DJI, i believe it’s 14km/h for the 34 minutes advertised time
Cool, Do you remember where that was answered?
Instead of guessing, all you have to do is look at the specs.
Max Flight Time 34 mins (measured while flying at 18 kph in windless conditions.

The Max distance will be very close to Max speed in N mode with OA disabled.

I understand the principle but have difficulty grasping what you are trying to say.
The direction of the wind you fly in can make a big difference to you flying your drone.
It makes a big difference if you are looking to achieve max distance ... or bring your drone home against a stiff headwind.
The speed shown on your app is GPS derived groundspeed.
A headwind will significantly reduce your groundspeed.

Reactions: offtheback
You can get a really good picture of why that question is not really answerable by looking at your flights on Airdata and noticing the expected flight times. The one thing that really shortens expected flight time is climbing to altitude it seems.
Some folks have trouble grasping this concept…
A J3 driver quickly learns all there is to know about winds aloft ;)

Instead of guessing, all you have to do is look at the specs.
Max Flight Time 34 mins (measured while flying at 18 kph in windless conditions.

The Max distance will be very close to Max speed in N mode with OA disabled.
I’m not convinced. 34 minutes at 18kph (5m/s) is 10.2km

whereas say 20 minutes At 43.2 kph (12m/s) is 14.4 km that’s sports mode and I think that’s doable I reckon you could get up to 24 minutes (17.28 km )but that’s just speculating, mind you I’m pretty sure there are range tests in the high 9 km’s mark on YouTube confirming at least 18km.

so with no intention to be contrary but I do think we have to speculate the most efficient speed for distance. It would be around 12-15 m/s I guess.

I’m not convinced. 34 minutes at 18kph (5m/s) is 10.2km

whereas say 20 minutes At 43.2 kph (12m/s) is 14.4 km that’s sports mode and I think that’s doable I reckon you could get up to 24 minutes (17.28 km )but that’s just speculating, mind you I’m pretty sure there are range tests in the high 9 km’s mark on YouTube confirming at least 18km.

so with no intention to be contrary but I do think we have to speculate the most efficient speed for distance. It would be around 12-15 m/s I guess.

There is no way you’ll be getting 20 minutes of flight time with full throttle all the way in sports mode. You can see that for yourself, takeoff with 100%, full throttle in sports mode, keep it like that for 10s and then check the estimated remaining battery time in the top right corner.

Reactions: GARhythm
There is no way you’ll be getting 20 minutes of flight time with full throttle all the way in sports mode. You can see that for yourself, takeoff with 100%, full throttle in sports mode, keep it like that for 10s and then check the estimated remaining battery time in the top right corner.
Sorry 12 m/s is normal mode. 20 minutes easy b

Reactions: Ice_2k
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan