DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor Stop and Crash in Auto Takeoff Mode

A few days ago I installed the most recent firmware update and now have aircraft version 01.03.0000 and app version 3.1.1. The following incident occurred earlier today during my first attempt to fly since the update. I have made several flights in the past 30 days without incident. However, this was the first time I have utilized the auto takeoff mode. The battery was fully charged and indicating more than 16 degrees C. I had 14 satellites, in full ready-to-fly mode. I was holding the controller without touching any controls, however that shouldn't matter. Several times while using return-to-home mode, I've taken control and landed it myself.

I engaged auto takeoff (on an iPad 7+ touch screen) outdoors and well clear of obstacles, and the Mavic rose approximately 4 feet, as expected. It immediately began traveling forward about 4 feet, then abruptly pitched up slightly (or maybe not so slightly, going by memory after the shock of what I saw) whereupon all four motors simultaneously lost all power, as if they were just switched off at precisely the same time. It fell to the pavement in the upright attitude (on its feet), bouncing slightly and probably hitting slightly tail-low; it all happened fast and unexpectedly, time from liftoff to crash being less than 10 seconds, likely more like 5 seconds. The Mavic's system power remained on until I shut it down for a restart and testing.

The camera-gimbal assembly suffered a major shock and is inoperative, except for video feed. Shutting down and restarting had no effect on the gimbal. The picture is tilted about 30 degrees and the wire bundle from the body to the gimbal assembly appears to have been overstressed (stretched). I am unable to tilt up or down with the remote controller. After the crash and restart I hovered the Mavic after all preflight indications on the remote controller display were okay (except for the gimbal error message saying that the motor was overstressed and to check that the gimbal clamp is removed). I am not confident that the aircraft is 100% normal, however, based on observation during the very short test hover flight. I want it properly checked before further flight.

I'll be sending it in for repair by DJI (and I have the extended service/replacement package) and am hoping the repair or replacement will be timely and at no cost to me. I firmly believe this was an electronic malfunction unrelated to operator or any external conditions. Has anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions on how to deal with DJI before I go ahead with the repair return process?

Dean I also experienced a similar episode yesterday. All firmware is the latest version and using Go app 4. Had a couple of flights with no problems. Thought I would try auto take off function, it took off and lifted off to about 4 feet. I was just about to touch the sticks when the motors stopped and it fell. Luckily, no damaged occurred to aircraft or gimbal. Restarted and subsequent flights fine, video footage confirms no damage to camera or gimbal. Tried another automatic takeoff and all good. Very worrying, we will have to wait to see DJI reaction. I will be informing them of the incident. They should repair yours free when they see the flight log record. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
John, if you send yours in. please also PM me your case number and refer to your post. Motor Stop and Crash in Auto Takeoff Mode

Got my mavic from DJI today. I took off fine in beginner mode. Landed fine.
Shut it down.
Turned it on. Went to regular mode.
Used auto take off in same spot had 11 Gps.
Slid the slider. It flies 1 meter up motors stop and it flops to the ground on all fours about 2 feet forward from where it took off.
Gimbal bottom was slightly scratched and bottom legs slightly too. I had to adjust the gimbal rotation slightly to make it level now. But for now it still flies.
I didn't even know you can do a manual take off?
Kinda pissed since it wasn't user error now that I see this thread. I did sign up for DJi refresh before flying it but still.

Thanks. I've submitted the online form. Frustratingly (at least when using Safari browser; maybe I should have tried Chrome or Firefox) the word fields for describing the problem, etc. limit one to a tweet-like level of communication. Awaiting UPS shipping label and will call the telephone number (given on the online reply) for the Carson, California repair facility before shipping tomorrow (if they're open on xmas eve; I got the form done just after closing time today).

Downgrade the firmware to what version, please? I live near Carson, so I guess my next flight will be in their parking lot. Maybe I can get it on the Roof before it fails.

A few days ago I installed the most recent firmware update and now have aircraft version 01.03.0000 and app version 3.1.1.

Current "DJI GO 4" Application Version is "v4.0.2".

"Version 3.1.1" is the "DJI GO" Application which is not specifically designed for the Mavic Pro.

Mine did this one time on auto take off last week. Went up 4 ft, motors cut out simultaneously and dropped. Snow was on ground so had blanket down for take off. No damage, has not happened since. Though, did surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

A few days ago I installed the most recent firmware update and now have aircraft version 01.03.0000 and app version 3.1.1. The following incident occurred earlier today during my first attempt to fly since the update. I have made several flights in the past 30 days without incident. However, this was the first time I have utilized the auto takeoff mode. The battery was fully charged and indicating more than 16 degrees C. I had 14 satellites, in full ready-to-fly mode. I was holding the controller without touching any controls, however that shouldn't matter. Several times while using return-to-home mode, I've taken control and landed it myself.

I engaged auto takeoff (on an iPad 7+ touch screen) outdoors and well clear of obstacles, and the Mavic rose approximately 4 feet, as expected. It immediately began traveling forward about 4 feet, then abruptly pitched up slightly (or maybe not so slightly, going by memory after the shock of what I saw) whereupon all four motors simultaneously lost all power, as if they were just switched off at precisely the same time. It fell to the pavement in the upright attitude (on its feet), bouncing slightly and probably hitting slightly tail-low; it all happened fast and unexpectedly, time from liftoff to crash being less than 10 seconds, likely more like 5 seconds. The Mavic's system power remained on until I shut it down for a restart and testing.

The camera-gimbal assembly suffered a major shock and is inoperative, except for video feed. Shutting down and restarting had no effect on the gimbal. The picture is tilted about 30 degrees and the wire bundle from the body to the gimbal assembly appears to have been overstressed (stretched). I am unable to tilt up or down with the remote controller. After the crash and restart I hovered the Mavic after all preflight indications on the remote controller display were okay (except for the gimbal error message saying that the motor was overstressed and to check that the gimbal clamp is removed). I am not confident that the aircraft is 100% normal, however, based on observation during the very short test hover flight. I want it properly checked before further flight.

I'll be sending it in for repair by DJI (and I have the extended service/replacement package) and am hoping the repair or replacement will be timely and at no cost to me. I firmly believe this was an electronic malfunction unrelated to operator or any external conditions. Has anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions on how to deal with DJI before I go ahead with the repair return process?
Never, ever fly in Auto Take off mode. It is a consumer feature that shouldn't be there.
You must take off manually all the time so you always have full control of the drone, no matter which one you fly!

Reactions: flyNfrank
Never, ever fly in Auto Take off mode. It is a consumer feature that shouldn't be there.
You must take off manually all the time so you always have full control of the drone, no matter which one you fly!

Where has that particular nugget of wisdom come from, that's just cobblers!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Interesting for sure, I am running GO4 and the latest F/W, and have about 20 flights on it using auto-takeoff every time without any issue, so these reports are troubling. Think I will switch to manual takeoff until this get's sorted out.

Reactions: UrbanPhotoSniper
Note to self -never use Automated Take Off! I never use it anyway as I like having my fingers on the sticks immediately if there are any visible flying anomalies right after take off.

For all those having this Auto take off error, can you please state your craft firmware and which apps you're using ie 3 or 4?

Im actually glad to see other people having this error because now I know it wasn't just me!

I am very sad and disappointed today, I waited a very long 2 months for my pre order to come in, today was my 2nd day flying. I had just finished showing a friend how stable it was;

I landed the drone and used the auto take off feature (as I am new to quality drones I didn't know I shouldn't trust this feature). Basically, my Mavic flew up about 1m and forward 50cm and then the motors stopped and it fell - Putting a crack in my camera screen which doesn't seem to damage video but still.

When I picked the mavic up the front left arm had flicked back into its starting position but I think this happened when it hit the ground. My heart sank a bit seeing the crack, 2 months of waiting for it to just fall out of the sky on Christmas day :(

I am certainly hoping DJI will be repairing/fixing it for me as there is clearly an issue going on - have sent them a support email.

EDIT: Using DJI GO 4 on Iphone 7:
App Version 4.0.2
Aircraft Version 01.03.0100
RC 01.03.0100

Happened to me today, too. All current firmware. Auto takeoff, climbed to about 4 ft and engines all stopped, causing instant free fall. No apparent damage that I can tell yet. Error messages all appeared on app screen at same time: Takeoff error, Compass error, IMU error. Subsequent flights seem fine, but certainly not doing auto takeoffs any more til I hear this is fixed.

Android DJI GO v4.0.1
Mavic v01.03.0000

AJ

Last edited:
And one more...

Finally received it after placing my pre-order.. So happy I finally received the drone. Tested it out 3 times in the yard with automatic take off without any problems but didnt tried real flying as it was windy.

Today it was a clear day without any wind so a perfect moment for the first official flight. After testing some new features I did another automatic take off (unfortunately I didnt know about the bug). After completion of the auto take off I wanted to take over control so I used my left stick to go higher. At the moment I touched the stick all 4 rotors shut down at the same moment and the mavic came down immediately. It bumped on the concrete but came on his feet.. The mavic has some scratches here and there, also on the camera and the gimbal is not working anymore. It tilts down and gives the message that the motors are overloaded and the gimbal is obstructed.

The Mavic can fly but the gimbal doesnt work anymore.

I already called DJI but they pretend as I am the first.

I may assume that we will receive a complete new drone, one without scratches etc. and an update without any of these bugs.

Does anyone already has some news about the reaction of DJI?

And one more...

Finally received it after placing my pre-order.. So happy I finally received the drone. Tested it out 3 times in the yard with automatic take off without any problems but didnt tried real flying as it was windy.

Today it was a clear day without any wind so a perfect moment for the first official flight. After testing some new features I did another automatic take off (unfortunately I didnt know about the bug). After completion of the auto take off I wanted to take over control so I used my left stick to go higher. At the moment I touched the stick all 4 rotors shut down at the same moment and the mavic came down immediately. It bumped on the concrete but came on his feet.. The mavic has some scratches here and there, also on the camera and the gimbal is not working anymore. It tilts down and gives the message that the motors are overloaded and the gimbal is obstructed.

I may assume that we will receive a complete new drone, one without scratches etc. and an update without any of these bugs.

Sorry to hear this, which FW and app version?

And one more...

Yeah very similar to mine, check your gimbal mounting first. I was getting an 'abnormal gimbal vibration' warning - turned out the rear gimbal mount and slit out.

DJI are taking mine in for repairs - be very firm that it was the auto take off mode and show them this thread and others to ensure they acknowledge there is a bug.

I am delaying the firmware update process, I am running 01.02.0900 with DJI GO 4, no issues whatsoever. On Monday I flew on gusts winds of up to 32MPH without any issues. I was even using the auto take off, which I do quite a bit, under those extreme windy conditions.

The DJI GO 4 app notified me when v01.03.0000 became available on 12.06.2016, so decided to ignore it, I'm glad I did, a few members in this forum started to have problems after the update.
Firmware v01.03.0200 became available on 12.26.2016, I would think it contains fixes to resolve the issues created by v01.03.0000.

I am still going to sit tight.

If somebody is having issues after firmware update I recommend to downgrade to v01.02.0900 this is a very stable firmware, and the one my aircraft came with.

Last edited:
Reactions: KayakMark34
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh