DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motors over heating

Bobvt

Reactions
So I had a little collision and one of my motors is getting a little warmer than the others, question is will I get any notification before it craps out completely and I have a three winged flightless bird

when you had the collision did the prop get damaged if so when you took it off to change it did you check that the three tabs that lock it to the motor were still in place on the hub of the prop. they can break off and go into the motor and cause drag,and even jam the motor. also check for dust or other debris in the motor and spin it to see if it has a different sound to the others

when you had the collision did the prop get damaged if so when you took it off to change it did you check that the three tabs that lock it to the motor were still in place on the hub of the prop. they can break off and go into the motor and cause drag,and even jam the motor. also check for dust or other debris in the motor and spin it to see if it has a different sound to the others
All of that was done, this is a coinciding post to motors whining,I flown a couple times keeping it close and checking the temperature of the motors as per thunderdrones recommendation, I've ordered a new arm, this is a curious question about how smart the bird or controller is

In the old days, we would do the "spit test." Wet your fingers, and touch the motor. If the spit sizzles, the motor is too hot.

These days, you can just pick up a temp gun from Walmart and test the motor can and inside windings. No part of the motor should get hotter than 125° after a flight.

Reactions: tleedom
In the old days, we would do the "spit test." Wet your fingers, and touch the motor. If the spit sizzles, the motor is too hot.

These days, you can just pick up a temp gun from Walmart and test the motor can and inside windings. No part of the motor should get hotter than 125° after a flight.
Thanks Rob ?

Reactions: Former Member
All of that was done, this is a coinciding post to motors whining,I flown a couple times keeping it close and checking the temperature of the motors as per thunderdrones recommendation, I've ordered a new arm, this is a curious question about how smart the bird or controller is

The Mavic is dumb when it comes to overheating propulsion motors. There is no temp sensor in the motor, so, yes, it will allow the motor to overheat and seize up. Its an ugly site. One motor slowly seizes, while the others try to keep the drone right side up. Death spiral usually follows. Altitude at end of flight is1' BGL. (Below ground level. I just made that up)

Little confused by what you're saying here and what your response was to my question in another thread where my temps were:

Front: 130 - 140 F
Rear: 110

Bottom of front motors: 125
Bottom of rear motors: 100

You seemed to think these were normal and the other guy was saying up to 175 F would be okay. Are you still on-board with these numbers being okay?

Little confused by what you're saying here and what your response was to my question in another thread where my temps were:

Front: 130 - 140 F
Rear: 110

Bottom of front motors: 125
Bottom of rear motors: 100

You seemed to think these were normal and the other guy was saying up to 175 F would be okay. Are you still on-board with these numbers being okay?

Normal.

Um, I don't know what to do with this, lol. What's normal? My numbers? Why did you say above that nothing should get above 125 on a flight? Help a brother out!

It might just be me, but I think you are overthinking this whole thing a little bit. No offense intended.

Motor temperatures have never stopped me from flying. I lived in the tropics, 110° ambient temps, not an issue. If I do decide to fly on an extreme day, which is anything over 100°, the temp gun stays in my pocket, and if Im really worried, I will land after 4-6 minutes and temp the motors.

The motors benefit from the props' downwash. The internal cooling fan takes care of the core and ESC boards.

If you are going to be flying in temps exceeding 100° which DJI says you shoudnt anyway, leave your drone in a cooler before you fly. That might buy you a few extra minutes of flight time.

It might just be me, but I think you are overthinking this whole thing a little bit. No offense intended.

Motor temperatures have never stopped me from flying. I lived in the tropics, 110° ambient temps, not an issue. If I do decide to fly on an extreme day, which is anything over 100°, the temp gun stays in my pocket, and if Im really worried, I will land after 4-6 minutes and temp the motors.

The motors benefit from the props' downwash. The internal cooling fan takes care of the core and ESC boards.

If you are going to be flying in temps exceeding 100° which DJI says you shoudnt anyway, leave your drone in a cooler before you fly. That might buy you a few extra minutes of flight time.
Thanks, no offense taken. I just wanted to know why the apparent discrepancy in your responses. Beyond that I'm curious and ask "why" a lot and am interested in what is true in the world around me. Super hot motors surprised me, but all is well.

I got to tell you, i also flew my m2p recently in 90deg yesterday, front motors are too hot to touch after just a 10 min calm loiter, it is not normal in my opinion, i am a bit concerned. Rear motors are lukewarm, as it should be, but fronts are too hot indeed. Dunno why and what to do about it, but i do not like it at all.

I got to tell you, i also flew my m2p recently in 90deg yesterday, front motors are too hot to touch after just a 10 min calm loiter, it is not normal in my opinion, i am a bit concerned. Rear motors are lukewarm, as it should be, but fronts are too hot indeed. Dunno why and what to do about it, but i do not like it at all.

Get a temp gun and read each motor top, sides and inside the windings.

If your motors were getting too hot and are close to damage, you would either smell burning electronics, or the windings inside the motor will turn black.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan