DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mount For Bottom Strobe Light

Ty Pilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've been flying Night Operations for some time (I am 107), and while I have the top mounted in place as per regulations, I wanted to place an extra light for me to see from the ground. I fly two primary drones: A Typhoon H Plus and a Mavic 2 Pro. I can easily switch my top mounted strobe from one to the other but both present a problem when trying to find a suitable location for a bottom mounted strobe that does not affect or interfere with any of the sensors or camera.

I decided that I wanted to make a mount that would be versatile enough to mount on multiple drones, I wanted it to be light weight, easy to attach and very secure. So here is what I have done. The pictures tell the story but if you have any questions let me know.

Strobe1.jpg

Strobe2.jpg

Strobe3.jpg

Strobe4.jpg

Strobe5.jpg

Strobe6.jpg

PHOTO 7 The Mount places the Strobe on line with the aircrafts centerline, level and low enough to be seen from any angle from below.

Strobe7.jpg

PHOTO 8 The mount can be position to face in any direction as needed and is VERY secure

Strobe8.jpg

Three points,
1) You appear to be showing what I guess is your FAA registration number on the drone, if so, is that wise? Anyone could copy it, use it, have a crash and maybe, at least temporarily, drop you in the doo-doo with the FAA.
2) If 1) gives them a way to trace you you are advertising a nice bike in your garage.
3) Would not the auxillary light on the bottom of the M2P work as a non flashing strobe, I can vouch for the fact that is it visible from quite a distance at night.

Last edited:
Three points,
1) You appear to be showing what I guess is your FAA registration number on the drone, is that wise? If correct anyone got copy it, use it have a crash and maybe at least temporarily drop you in the do do with the FAA.
2) If 1) gives them a way to trace you you are advertising a nice bike in your garage.
3) Would not the auxillary light on the bottom of the M2P work as a non flashing strobe, I can vouch for the fact that is it visible from quite a distance at night.
Points 1) and 2) - Registration numbers are like car tags, and I am no more worried about someone falsifying their drone with my number that I am about someone making a false license plate with my car tag numbers.

As for the bike? Yeah its in my garage, and if you want to know where I live just ask me; but if a crook thinks knowing that bike, is in my garage makes it in some way any easier to steal than taking one out of a parking lot at a supermarket or anywhere else - well good luck.

3) This mount can be used on my other drone which; does not have an Aux light on the bottom. I also want a strobe and with the particular brand I have, I can put a lens on it to change color. The Aux light on the Mavic uses on board battery - perhaps not much but it does use it. The additional strobe is just so much more versatile.

Last edited:
That is a nice setup , and I like that Skin, think it might look pretty sharp with a Black Wet Suit , post a link if you can.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Skin your Drone.
2019012795181654.jpg

Reactions: Gagey52 and eva2000
Three points,
1) You appear to be showing what I guess is your FAA registration number on the drone, if so, is that wise? Anyone could copy it, use it, have a crash and maybe, at least temporarily, drop you in the doo-doo with the FAA.
Every airplane, automobile, and truck has a plainly visible registration number displayed. Why might there be a problem with drones having visible numbers? Let's not worry unnecessarily.

In response to those citing the visibility of vehicle etc. number plates.

In the UK at least, vehicle number plates are meant to be readily visible and on public display, they are produced to be so. In fact it is illegal for them to not be readily visible, on public display, clean and legible, so much so that at least the size or minimum size of their letters and numbers is prescribed, as may be the style of font.
With cars and lorries there must be a number plate on the front and rear of the vehicle.
With motor cycles only a rear facing plate is required though I remember when there was curved number plate mounted atop the front mudguard.
Funny true story, I remember a news paper article, where a car containing a couple was pulled over for some reason While the police spoke to the couple the police realised that the husband had quoted one registration number whilst the wife had quoted another. Both husband and wife were correct, characters in the registration number had been transposed when a lost or broken number plate had been replaced. The husband knew one number the wife other, I don't remember which was correct.

However, due to drone size, there can be no expectation that the relevant authority's registration number is readily visible unless the drone is in hand thus the number is not normally on display to every Tom, Richard and Harry.

However, as I said I had Ty Pilot's "best interests at heart".

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Three points,
Here in Ireland it has to be displayed clearly on the outside of the drone , but I agree with the points you raise

However, as I said I had Ty Pilot's "best interests at heart".
I appreciate that. Also in my original response I was aiming my disdain for crooks and the people who do bad things - certainly not you, as I knew your intent was solid and sincere.

I just see a lot of folks who blur their registration number in photos and videos and thought I would add my thoughts.

PS. I built my Youtube Channel mainly doing motorcycle tutorial videos over 14 years showing several bikes in the process and never had a problem and over the last four years, that has kind of switched to drone videos and I've still never had a problem.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Nice work. And a great job on the photos showing what you did.

What's the weight of the base and bracket?
I just sold my 4 year old Mavic 2 Pro and for all of the years I used a Firehouse ARC strobe on the Botton just behind the gimbal without any problem whatsoever. I stuck it on with the 3 M velcro purchased at Amazon. I sold the drone without it. I still have the very functional strobe but cannot find a single place on the bottom of my new Mavic 3. Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.27.10 PM.pngtempImageeMSUWn.pngFirehouse Arc White strobe.jpg

Attachments

• ARC strobe 4 light White.:red:green.jpg
    ARC strobe 4 light White.:red:green.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Gagey52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member