DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI FPV drone on the way!

On DJI things yes, but not on a racer. The ability to fly something full manual/acro AND have the "stop in place whatever you're doing now" is pretty awesome.

Read his post again ... he's not referring to a what ever "racer", he wants the emergency stop functionality on drones using the Smart controller. It's already there with the pause button.

20min is probably if you fly it in N mode, but when flown in manual it's more like 8-10. Still twice your typical racer, so that's fine

You're comparing apples & pears ... the DJI FPV drone isn't a racer ... If compared with a 5-7 incher with the same weight & battery size you get flight times even succeeding that.

Last edited:
I read that it won't have a Cx label, so after 2023, it will fall in open category 3 in Europe, meaning you'll have to keep 150m distance from people.

Anybody know whether you can reconfigure the controller to mode 2 or 3? I normally fly with the left stick up down, strafe left/right and the right stick fwd/aft, yaw left/right. Not sure how that works with an FPV drone, also saw some different behavior with the motion controller; in some movies tilting it left/right would yaw left/right, where in other movies yawing the controller would yaw the drone...

Reactions: JoostGT3
And to quote one of the reputable & famous FPV world reviewer ...

-If this craft isn't unlocked for Acro flying it's just a Mavic with a worse gimbal ...
-If unlocked for full Acro it's unforgiving & can't take that hit that inevitably will come... as other FPV quads with full carbon fiber frames can.

Very much agree & see many upcoming disappointments ... so be careful guys, spend a considerable amount of time in a sim before below happens.

1614767371540.png
1614767447613.png
1614767466289.png
1614767485781.png
1614767502646.png

And to quote one of the reputable & famous FPV world reviewer ...

-If this craft isn't unlocked for Acro flying it's just a Mavic with a worse gimbal ...
-If unlocked for full Acro it's unforgiving & can't take that hit that inevitably will come... as other FPV quads with full carbon fiber frames can.

Very much agree & see many upcoming disappointments ... so be careful guys, spend a considerable amount of time in a sim before below happens.
you pointed up very well the major flaw of this drone

it was designed as a hybrid product, that will make the transition smooth from a hobby to a fpv drone in terms of flying

in fact there are 2 flying modes that are pure hobby style and 1 mode that is pure fpv, maybe a little bit slowed down and with the panic button added

the step between S and M mode should be comparable with the step from N to S mode
but is not, i dont know why, maybe they intend it to be this way or just couldnt do it other way
it doesent matter why, they didint reach the goal

another fail in transition is the fact that this is goggles only
goggles are nice if you are experienced and for fpv is the only way to fly
but this drone was intended to be a transitional product so the phone should be an option too

and the fact that top speed is available in M mode only will push everybody there, even if they are still beginners, a fast road to early crashes :)

not just me :)
How to reduce the risk of crashing the DJI FPV drone (and other stuff) - DroneDJ

Last edited:
Reactions: FASTFJR
If Joshua Bardwell can crash and break it on an early outing in M mode on his own well-known property I'm pretty sure most of us can. Which does tend to confirm what we had already surmised. Those pictures are depressing. Time will tell.

If Joshua Bardwell can crash and break it on an early outing in M mode on his own well-known property I'm pretty sure most of us can. Which does tend to confirm what we had already surmised. Those pictures are depressing. Time will tell.
maybe Bardwell was pushing too hard, he crashed like a pro :)
but some beginners have crash it too, the guy from flypath and one guy from dpreview
to crash it at review isnt a great publicity :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram
the step between S and M mode should be comparable with the step from N to S mode
but is not, i dont know why
There is the intermediate step of M with limited attitude.

But in the end at some point you have to get to it, there isn't really another intermediate you could add...

Reactions: gogorokokoko
There is the intermediate step of M with limited attitude.

But in the end at some point you have to get to it, there isn't really another intermediate you could add...
they promote it as a transitional drone to fpv world
so people should learn fpv easiest on this combo so they should buy it as a 1st fpv drone

but in fact apart from the panic button, theres nothing else to different from any other fpv drone
that panic button isnt a great help imo, so you will crash it just like any other fpv

so for learning fpv, this cant be much more advisable than any other fpv drone

Flying - Crashing is all about knowing your limits and skill level. I've see 6 year old kids fly like a pro. I've see 35yo crash within a minute of taking off. How many safety features can you have. Common sense has to come into play at some point. When I first started flying RC Helicopters 32 years ago we used simply gyro's...... That was it, No GPS, No Maps, No Auto take off or land.

so people should learn fpv easiest on this combo so they should buy it as a 1st fpv drone

but in fact apart from the panic button, theres nothing else to different from any other fpv drone
Sure, there's the fact you can fly it like another DJI aircraft, can always flip it in N mode and get your bearings back, can get used to speed/proximity etc in a pretty easy assisted S mode...

that panic button isnt a great help imo
You obviously haven't tried it. It's a really big deal, probably the biggest for a beginner and nothing else has anything that good.

Ordered the DJI FPV yesterday - fly more bundle and motion controller as well. I've been waiting for DJI to make this drone so I could get into FPV without having to deal with the DIY side of it.

Sure, there's the fact you can fly it like another DJI aircraft, can always flip it in N mode and get your bearings back, can get used to speed/proximity etc in a pretty easy assisted S mode...

You obviously haven't tried it. It's a really big deal, probably the biggest for a beginner and nothing else has anything that good.
i didnt say that the panic button is useless
but for a beginner is not much, not from the point of learning but from the point of the chances to crash it
i think that you will crrash it dozens times before learning fpv flying
i dont think the panic button may save you always
and i think dji knows that too, otherwise they would never have released the fpv simulator

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_