DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Leon3332020

Reactions
Hi pilots out there,
I live in Palm Beach county, Florida. My buddy has the commercial license and turned me on to look at that as well one day.

Though, I’m new to the drone world and haven’t bought yet, but about to. Looking at the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo but have concerns after reading here about some of the horror stories and thoughts. I looks also at the Mavic 2 zoom, which is a much more sophisticated machine and investment.

I like the idea of small and less than 250 grams to avoid some of the more binding FAA rules, even though they gonna tighten our belts soon too. Also I heard after updating the drone’s software, if you live in a managed zone. You can’t even fly the mini inside?!?

I’m gonna be traveling to Europe, precisely Italy, Austria, and Germany. I heard rules to fly are even tougher there than here in the US.

What would you recommend to get considering the travels and rules?

Thank you for your opinion.

Reactions: droneted
Heya Leon, welcome to the forum.
Good you have a buddy in the game, he can probably teach you in a way to ensure you fly safely and with more chance to get your aircrqaft back every flight.
Reading here is good too, I guess many commercial pilots don't have time to be involved (or a desire after doing drones all week !!).

I would normally until recently have recommended a Mavic Mini, but feel now after recent weeks especially that there are some major issues with it, that it was released too early without proper testing.

The M2 options (Pro and Zoom) are awesome machines !
But I feel unless you like to travel 'big', they are just too over spec for a good travel drone . . . it can be done, but I feel the Air is probably the best choice, followed by a Spark, or maybe a M1P or MPP, but the MP's are only a little smaller than the M2's.

It'd be good to get sub 250g, as you say this is why I was looking at the Mini early on, but I am pretty sure there aren't any other brands or models out there that fits. Yet.
With anything larger than a mini, you will have to research and follow each countries rules, and yes, it would be a bit of a struggle keeping up and getting permits etc for several countries (not impossible though).
Of course, many take a risk and fly, if remote this probably isn't a huge thing, and many cities / towns almost are total no fly areas anyway.

Maybe get the mini, but really research here, know the issues, and when flying ensure good pre flight checks (home point, orientation, weather / wind, full battery), and fly close, low, and you should / could be ok.

It's possible the mini issues can be fixed with software / firmware upgrades down the path, and if you like droning, then later you can get a larger aircraft that you can go somewhat further / higher with.
The mini can always be your travel drone.

Let us know what you decide, whatever you get It'll be better than no drone.

Reactions: Leon3332020
@Leon3332020 .... One last thing to note... the only FAA regulation the weight of a stock MM avoids is registration. All other regulations/laws Must be followed. This assumes you don’t add 1 gram like a skin, prop guards, aftermarket lighting, etc, in which event it will gain the 1gm weight and have to be registered.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

Regarding travel to Europe - it depends when you're coming over here. New rules are going to be introduced in July that cover the whole of the EU (and will still be implemented in the UK, even though we leave the EU today).
Details can be found here: New Drone Regulations In The UK From Summer 2020 | Heliguy

You'll also need to check each country you travel to for registration and qualification requirements. For example, here in the UK you need to register as an operator and as a drone owner even fro recreational flights. But, that will vary from one country to another.

Also, most cities here have local laws that prohibit flying drones regardless of weight Especially in capital cities. Even if the flight maps show it's safe to fly, the laws will need to be checked.

Lastly, if you buy a Mavic Mini in the US, it is technically illegal here in Europe as the transmission system is different (CE rather than FCC). However, the likelihood of that being an issue is probably slim, but still worth being aware of. However, the other DJI drones automatically switch between the two sp can be flown anywhere.

Hope this is helpful.

Heya Leon, welcome to the forum.
Good you have a buddy in the game, he can probably teach you in a way to ensure you fly safely and with more chance to get your aircrqaft back every flight.
Reading here is good too, I guess many commercial pilots don't have time to be involved (or a desire after doing drones all week !!).

I would normally until recently have recommended a Mavic Mini, but feel now after recent weeks especially that there are some major issues with it, that it was released too early without proper testing.

The M2 options (Pro and Zoom) are awesome machines !
But I feel unless you like to travel 'big', they are just too over spec for a good travel drone . . . it can be done, but I feel the Air is probably the best choice, followed by a Spark, or maybe a M1P or MPP, but the MP's are only a little smaller than the M2's.

It'd be good to get sub 250g, as you say this is why I was looking at the Mini early on, but I am pretty sure there aren't any other brands or models out there that fits. Yet.
With anything larger than a mini, you will have to research and follow each countries rules, and yes, it would be a bit of a struggle keeping up and getting permits etc for several countries (not impossible though).
Of course, many take a risk and fly, if remote this probably isn't a huge thing, and many cities / towns almost are total no fly areas anyway.

Maybe get the mini, but really research here, know the issues, and when flying ensure good pre flight checks (home point, orientation, weather / wind, full battery), and fly close, low, and you should / could be ok.

It's possible the mini issues can be fixed with software / firmware upgrades down the path, and if you like droning, then later you can get a larger aircraft that you can go somewhat further / higher with.
The mini can always be your travel drone.

Let us know what you decide, whatever you get It'll be better than no drone.

Thank you all so much for the input and info. I’m doing more research in regards to the countries I’ll be in Europe. I can tell that the mini has advantages for being und the registration weight. Yes the radio frequency is an issue, but they expect you to buy a drone then there just for radio frequency?... lol...Currently I think the mini is a great start, but then eventually switch out the drone to an M2P or M2P zoom. I think spark and air are also choices but wanna give mini a chance.
I will keep you abreast of what transpires. My travels abroad is in May, so got still some
time.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi pilots out there,
I live in Palm Beach county, Florida. My buddy has the commercial license and turned me on to look at that as well one day.

Though, I’m new to the drone world and haven’t bought yet, but about to. Looking at the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo but have concerns after reading here about some of the horror stories and thoughts. I looks also at the Mavic 2 zoom, which is a much more sophisticated machine and investment.

I like the idea of small and less than 250 grams to avoid some of the more binding FAA rules, even though they gonna tighten our belts soon too. Also I heard after updating the drone’s software, if you live in a managed zone. You can’t even fly the mini inside?!?

I’m gonna be traveling to Europe, precisely Italy, Austria, and Germany. I heard rules to fly are even tougher there than here in the US.

What would you recommend to get considering the travels and rules?

Thank you for your opinion.
Thank you for your response and info.. I posted below!

Reactions: Lastrexking
Just noticed this thread for refirb Spark, flymore combo too . . .
Hi. Welcome to the forum!

Regarding travel to Europe - it depends when you're coming over here. New rules are going to be introduced in July that cover the whole of the EU (and will still be implemented in the UK, even though we leave the EU today).
Details can be found here: New Drone Regulations In The UK From Summer 2020 | Heliguy

You'll also need to check each country you travel to for registration and qualification requirements. For example, here in the UK you need to register as an operator and as a drone owner even fro recreational flights. But, that will vary from one country to another.

Also, most cities here have local laws that prohibit flying drones regardless of weight Especially in capital cities. Even if the flight maps show it's safe to fly, the laws will need to be checked.

Lastly, if you buy a Mavic Mini in the US, it is technically illegal here in Europe as the transmission system is different (CE rather than FCC). However, the likelihood of that being an issue is probably slim, but still worth being aware of. However, the other DJI drones automatically switch between the two sp can be flown anywhere.

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for your response and info.. I posted below!

Thank you all so much for the input and info. I’m doing more research in regards to the countries I’ll be in Europe. I can tell that the mini has advantages for being und the registration weight. Yes the radio frequency is an issue, but they expect you to buy a drone then there just for radio frequency?... lol...Currently I think the mini is a great start, but then eventually switch out the drone to an M2P or M2P zoom. I think spark and air are also choices but wanna give mini a chance.
I will keep you abreast of what transpires. My travels abroad is in May, so got still some
time.
The only advantage the mini has in Europe is that it doesn’t need to be registered. All of the other laws about where you can’t fly it still apply. ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo