DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No LiPO batteries allowed on Allegiant Airlines = No drones allowed

Mail the batteries.
Can't mail. USPS will not accept a LIPO battery..have to use UPS.

And, has to have 'their' LIPO battery sticker. You can't just write it on the box. [Just went though this with 1 of my numerous SOLO's I am selling, that went to Texas.] (Still have 2 more, 1 new/refurb from 3DR, never flown..out of box once to charge battery!) and one used, bird, flown once. I *Think* I have a rev B GPS board for it.)

I'll post in the For Sale topic with pictures of everything I have for sale.

Was not acceptable to me, as I had to drop off the LIPO battery drone at a FedEx shipping location.)

I had to go get my MP from a FedEx facility. They are a pain sometimes.

I had to go get my MP from a FedEx facility. They are a pain sometimes.

I *think* you edited your post...HEH...My email reminder showed you had originally had posted "My aircraft was delivered by FedEx".

Correct, but it was probably picked up at the location of the company from whom you purchased it and *not* delivered to a FedEx store.

Which, IMNSHO is just plain dumb.

BTW, for what it is worth, any and all extra batteries I have purchased for my phone(s) and tablets, etc., have all been shipped with UPS.

Here is the FAA guidance on lithium batteries on aircraft.
Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)
My 44 watt-hour Mavic Pro battery is below the 100 watt-hour FAA limit per battery.
I used to carry equipment aboard commercial airlines that was considered to be potentially hazardous. I often had to talk to the pilot to obtain permission to bring it aboard. At that time the captain had the final say on what was carried in his aircraft.

[
Southwestern.

Actually, My son just flew Southwest from RNO to EWR. He was told before hand, that the batteries for his laptop could not be in the passenger area. (They did provide a special bag and storage, at no charge, for him, in the galley. They wanted him to buy a special adapter (At the ridiculous price of $20.00) for his laptop, that plugged into the seat. A very good friend of mine runs the ground operations at RNO and gave him one of the special power adapters. The flight attendant even gave my son grief about that, until he had them look at the part number of the one they want him to buy and compare it to his. The pilot looked at it and asked what the problem was, of course he could use his! Officious buggers the flight attendants were. Return trip, nothing was said. Go figger.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Can't mail. USPS will not accept a LIPO battery..have to use UPS.

And, has to have 'their' LIPO battery sticker. You can't just write it on the box. [Just went though this with 1 of my numerous SOLO's I am selling, that went to Texas.] (Still have 2 more, 1 new/refurb from 3DR, never flown..out of box once to charge battery!) and one used, bird, flown once. I *Think* I have a rev B GPS board for it.)

I'll post in the For Sale topic with pictures of everything I have for sale.

Good to know, mail by USPS was going to be my Plan B if I couldn't get through security on my next flight, but I see that you're correct.

Just flew to Costa Rica and back with drone and 3 LiPo batts, no problem. Batts in a main LiPo Safe bag, and each one in and individual LiPo Safe bag. 6 different flights. Zero problems. Packed drone in checked luggage in a special double hard case. Zero questions. Batts went as carry-on as FAA regulations do not allow them in cargo hold. TSA was the authority looking at everything, so in essence, airline didn't even know.

An old saying when I was in the wedding video business, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Translation, calling and being on hold for so long only got their authoritative hackles up to say no rather than helping you out. Most of the time, unless you have the specific rules to refer them to, it just stirs up a hornets nest trying to do the right thing and ask them about it, when in all honesty, whoever you end up getting on the phone doesn't really even know.

Last edited:
Reactions: skadee
An old saying when I was in the wedding video business, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Translation, calling and being on hold for so long only got their authoritative hackles up to say no rather than helping you out.
Or as we used to say in the banking business: If you want a quick answer, the answer is no.

Mike

Reactions: MCURRIER
Check out this International Air Transport Association document about lithium batteries:

A - The pilot-in-command must be informed of the location
B - Permitted in or as carry-on baggage
C - Permitted in or as checked baggage
D - The approval of the operator is required

Lithium Batteries: Portable electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, including medical devices such as portable oxygen concentrators (POC) and consumer electronics such as cameras, mobile phones, laptops and tablets, when carried by passengers
or crew for personal use (see 2.3.5.9). For lithium metal batteries the lithium metal content must not exceed 2 g and for lithium ion batteries the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 100 Wh. Devices in checked baggage must be completely switched off and must be protected from damage.

A - NO
B - YES
C - YES
D - NO

Lithium batteries, spare/loose with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for consumer electronic devices and Portable Medical Electronic Devices (PMED) or with a lithium content of 2 g but not exceeding 8 g for PMED only. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

A - NO
B - YES
C - NO
D - YES

Lithium battery-powered electronic devices. Lithium ion batteries for portable (including medical) electronic devices, a Wh rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh. For portable medical electronic devices only, lithium metal batteries with a lithium content exceeding 2 g but not exceeding 8 g. Devices in checked baggage must be completely switched off and must be protected from damage. Devices in checked baggage must be completely switched off and must be protected from damage.

A - NO
B - YES
C - YES
D - YES

Note: The provisions of 2.3 and Table 2.3.A may be limited by State or operator variations. Passengers should check with their airline for the current provisions.

Attachments

• passenger-provisions-table-23A-en.pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
this seems to change every time i fly, one time my cordless drill batteries need to go in my carry on and only a limit of 2, then next time they can go in checked bag but must be in a secure sepperate bag inside, then next time no batteries at all then next time ,,,,,,, i fly for work and lithiom batteries are causing all kinds of head aches on air lines, each airline has a different rule it seems

Just read the Allegiant Air restricted items policy online and NO mention of drones, just the standard TSA stuff about batteries.

hey everyone, I see this post is like 3 years old was wondering if they changed the rules for the no drone policy
I can’t find anything on the allegiant website, all I found was no hover board

hey everyone, I see this post is like 3 years old was wondering if they changed the rules for the no drone policy
I can’t find anything on the allegiant website, all I found was no hover board

Usually lipos are fine on aircraft, cabin baggage only for batteries alone.
Some allow one battery fitted to the device in checked bag, but it's certainly better to just take all battereis (and the drone if desired) in cabin.
A couple of airlines over the years has put their foot down on this (Emirates springs to mind), but not sure what current status is.

Best to contact the airline and ask directly if unsure.
State you want to carry the lipos in the cabin as per all airlines requirements, hopefully they see you know the drill.
Some have limits on total wattage per battery, possibly total wattage carried, but in general our consumer drone batteries fall well under those.

If they ban lipos, technically, there should be no phones, all kinds of 'pads' and 'tabs', laptops, etc allowed either.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405