DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No LiPO batteries allowed on Allegiant Airlines = No drones allowed

SkyIScrape

Reactions
Just getting ready for my vacation to Florida and per Allegiant Airlines customer service (after being on hold 32 minutes) no drones permitted. When I asked for clarification, the customer service rep said LiPO batteries cannot be carried on or checked, therefore you cannot bring a drone, in my case Mavic Pro, onboard. I asked if i can bring just the drone and buy batteries in Florida and they said "drones not permitted".

WOW. What are you going to do with your phone? Rechargeable razor? Laptop? tablet? It will stink to have to buy those every time you get off the plane. Most of those have LiPO's What did they have to say about that?

Just getting ready for my vacation to Florida and per Allegiant Airlines customer service (after being on hold 32 minutes) no drones permitted. When I asked for clarification, the customer service rep said LiPO batteries cannot be carried on or checked, therefore you cannot bring a drone, in my case Mavic Pro, onboard. I asked if i can bring just the drone and buy batteries in Florida and they said "drones not permitted".

It almost sounded like a vaguely plausible policy (although it would preclude all laptop computers) until the "no drones allowed" part. I think you may have encountered a rather "special" customer service agent. Probably worth confirming with someone else.

I called back to ask for a supervisor...still on hold. I'll reply with an update. I need to get whatever they say in writing. I can't take the chance.

Mail the batteries.

How will they even know? Allegiance Air doesn’t run the security checkpoint, TSA does. Unless the airline physically checks each bag.

Regardless there is no way they disallow lithium batteries else no one would fly that airline at all.

Mike

How will they even know? Allegiance Air doesn’t run the security checkpoint, TSA does. Unless the airline physically checks each bag.

Regardless there is no way they disallow lithium batteries else no one would fly that airline at all.

Mike

This right here. If you carry it on (as you should) then they won’t even know because TSA runs the checkpoint and they allow drones and batteries. Just don’t open your bag on the plane. ;-)

Reactions: ksmusa
Where I live, the small local airport ONLY has Allegiant Airlines. So if this is true, the no LiPO thing would be a pretty big deal.

Boycott em.
To be frank when flying Alligient I am just hoping they have someone to fuel the plane and fly it capably. Anything else is a bonus.

I think in this case a CSR simply played it safe. Who knows she may have been thinking of smart luggage, which has been banned for checked baggage if the battery cannot be removed.

Mike

Reactions: joejaxvic123
No problems on Southwest, Delta, or United. I fly with a lipo-safe bag and drone in backpack as carry-on and never been stopped thru TSA.

Reactions: MCURRIER
Just went to china and Thailand The only place they checked my batteries is when I arrived in china. I had 3 Mavic batteries in my wife's makeup bag and the charging cord.. I took it out of my packsack and put in the tray. They looked and let it go through. went Air China and Thai air

Reactions: ksmusa
Update: made it without hassle but their policy is strictly “no LiPO batteries that cannot be removed from device” HOWEVER, their laptop/smartpad policy contradicts everything LiPO related”. You’re allowed to have laptops and iPads, etc. If I declared it I would have had to toss them and the drone. Screw Allegiant Air. Fly any other airline.

I've flown Alegiant a few times and it is ALWAYS a crap shoot. They cancel frequently (not enough passengers), nickle & dime you for everything, have a screwy carry on policy. But, they're cheap as hell.
Southwest, on the other hand, loves my golf clubs, snow skis and drone. I fly them every chance I get. Glad they are now flying to Bahamas and Hawaii. Pretty good stock to own as well.

I flew Allegiant to FL back in the fall with my Mavic and three batteries. No issues (taking the drone, that is), for what it's worth.

Traveling to Peru on Monday.... I called the airlines and asked about lipo’s, I was told they are no problem as long as they are under 100 watts... that was Air Canada. Should be a set standard rule with all in my opinion..... if you have to catch a connecting flight with a different airline it could develop into a ****** situation fast with a lot of sadness on your end.

I flew on Allegiant from NY to Florida and return this winter with my Spark and three batteries. Everything I've read said batteries must be in Carry-On rather than checked baggage but not prohibited. Allegiant has never asked what's in my carry-on and I just breeze through TSA. I'm not sure how Allegiant could single out a drone without a battery and say it's prohibited.

Yes, I call them nickel dime airline but we travel with a small dog and it's a direct flight. On my recent return, when I checked in, the Allegiant representative saw that I was a retired veteran and signed my up for their Veteran's program. Now dog flies free (saves $100 per flight) and I get three free bags and a carry on. If I had known, I could have saved $600 over the past year.

I live in the UK. You can take any lipo batteries on a plane as hand luggage. I once took my phantom 3 pro, and mavic pro platinum away with me. All batteries and drones went on as hand luggage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60