DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Nor'Easter Snow in New England

TomSull

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi, we had a fairly intense Nor'Easter last Saturday here in New England. We lost power, so I decided to get some video of the storm.

Wind speeds were fairly steady at around 22 MPH checking after the fact, measuring at ground level was only around 10 MPH, so I decided to go for it. I initially flew the drone at low altitude to see how well it would fly, and gradually went higher carefully checking it's handling performance, but it was rock steady at all times, no issues. So, I flew into the front yard at about 100 feet up and did a spin around the neighborhood to see the intensity of the storm from different relative directions.

I shot it in 4K, most of the flight is here:
DJI_0042 2020-12-05 Snowfall Clip.mov

Here's just the sheets of snow, w/o takeoff/landing, 1080P (trimmed and lower resolution, a lot smaller for download):

Note that if you just click on the links, OneDrive streams them at lower resolution. Download for full resolution.

Another good example of how you can fly without getting Snow on the lens and some nice footage of that storm. You should consider getting the Wet Suit so your batteries are fully protected so you dont have to worry about the battery or the Power Button getting wet and not have to be in such a hurry.
Screenshot 11-25-2020 15.25.50.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / Snow

Last edited:
Reactions: TomSull
Brave to fly in those conditions. Good video though. No real snow on the ground here yet, which is rather unusual.

Another good example of how you can fly without getting Snow on the lens and some nice footage of that storm. You should consider getting the Wet Suit so your batteries are fully protected so you dont have to worry about the battery or the Power Button getting wet and not have to be in such a hurry.
View attachment 118895

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / Snow
I have it, but I've not yet put it onto the Mavic 2. I had sent you a note a few months back asking about removing and re-using some of the parts. I DO want to also get some thunderstorm shots, so I'll be using my Wetsuit for that for sure.

For this flight, I put tape over the battery switch and seams where the battery matches into the drone, so that protected the battery.

This was a LITTLE bit of a risk as it was big (warm) snow, but I was careful to be sure there was no rain coming down (it had been mixed earlier). I also did a shot during a storm in October, here's a nice image. I only did video for the landing that time, again, it was a very brief flight, I didn't even bother to color grade that. That one had less moisture on it that the 12/5 flight had oddly enough.

Attachments

• DJI_0722.JPG
    DJI_0722.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I have it, but I've not yet put it onto the Mavic 2. I had sent you a note a few months back asking about removing and re-using some of the parts. I DO want to also get some thunderstorm shots, so I'll be using my Wetsuit for that for sure.

For this flight, I put tape over the battery switch and seams where the battery matches into the drone, so that protected the battery.

This was a LITTLE bit of a risk as it was big (warm) snow, but I was careful to be sure there was no rain coming down (it had been mixed earlier). I also did a shot during a storm in October, here's some nice images. I only did video for the landing that time, again, it was a very brief flight, I didn't even both to color grade that. That one had less moisture on it that the 12/5 flight had oddly enough. Here's one of the images (the other one I wanted to post was too large).
That is a fantastic Picture came out really sharp. I love big pictures like this they look incredible on the Oled TV

Reactions: TomSull
Hi, we had a fairly intense Nor'Easter last Saturday here in New England. We lost power, so I decided to get some video of the storm.

Wind speeds were fairly steady at around 22 MPH checking after the fact, measuring at ground level was only around 10 MPH, so I decided to go for it. I initially flew the drone at low altitude to see how well it would fly, and gradually went higher carefully checking it's handling performance, but it was rock steady at all times, no issues. So, I flew into the front yard at about 100 feet up and did a spin around the neighborhood to see the intensity of the storm from different relative directions.

Here's just the sheets of snow, w/o takeoff/landing, 1080P (trimmed and lower resolution, a lot smaller for download):

Note that if you just click on the links, OneDrive streams them at lower resolution. Download for full resolution.
I got cold just watching this. You are a brave pilot!

Dale
Miami

Reactions: mattcoq and TomSull
Thanks for the memories. When I was a kid, we used to get big snows like that but haven’t had one in quite a while now. Lake effect areas still do. Pretty gutsy sending a drone out in that stuff but I sure enjoyed the video.

Thanks. I did a series of basically the same shots nearly each day during the fall to see how the autumn colors progressed. I'm hoping to make an animation of those to show the fall transition. If I get the time to do that, I'll post the results. But, I am very impressed with the still image capability of the M2P as well as the video. It's currently my best camera.

How wet did your poor drone get ? :eek:
Regarding getting wet, it didn't get very wet at all, though it was probably 29 or 30 degrees, pretty warm for snow. I put tape over the battery compartment to cover the seams to prevent any moisture getting in there.

I quickly did towel it off upon landing, but it only had a little bit of moisture here and there. There was a small amount of snow near the gimbal, which I quickly removed. As I did all this outside while sheltered, everything frozen stayed frozen (snow around the gimbal), so I was able to just brush it off.

It was also a pretty brief flight, maybe outside for 5 minutes all together.

Note that I too flew in similar temperature & damp snow conditions. All of a sudden the bird acted strange so I landed and the props were covered with plenty of ice.

Note that I too flew in similar temperature & damp snow conditions. All of a sudden the bird acted strange so I landed and the props were covered with plenty of ice.
Yes, I had my future son-in-law and myself as spotters, and I was being really careful to note handling. This was the 2nd flight, the first one stayed about 5 feet high for a bit while I check it out in the snow. I didn't notice any snow build up after that first 1 minute or so flight, nor did I have any buildup after the longer flight above the yard. The only place I had snow stick was around the base of the gimbal, and I was able to just brush that off.

The AC also had a chance to cool down a bit before I did the initial 5' high test flight, which SHOULD help to keep the snow from sticking. I had it just inside the garage, door open, cooling off (battery in my coat pocket) for about 10 minutes before the flight. I reasoned that would be important with damp snow. I was also really careful to check that no liquid was falling, just snow for the flight. It was outside altogether for 5 or 6 minutes.

Miss snow

I have to give you Credit Tom for your Ballsy Video with your Drone Yikes!...I would not dare to risk loosing my MM-2 in deep snow only to wait until Spring to find it. It was fun to watch Video....Thanks for effort to capture the NorEaster....Ron

I have to give you Credit Tom for your Ballsy Video with your Drone Yikes!...I would not dare to risk loosing my MM-2 in deep snow only to wait until Spring to find it. It was fun to watch Video....Thanks for effort to capture the NorEaster....Ron
First, that was a MP2, not a Mini 2 (I do have one of those as well, but I too wouldn't risk the little bird in this weather). Key to this was not leaving the bounds of my property (well, not more than 10 feet or so). I also use a Marco Polo on it JUST in case to make sure I do find it should I have a crash. And the snow at that time was only 3 or 4 inches deep (it's a LOT deeper now!).

I was also careful to try it for stability initially and as the drone was rock solid at each altitude, including a shorter flight just before this one to judge stability. I was ultimately up at about 110 feet for the shots. Avg wind speed was a little over 10 MPH, with gusts to about 20MPH. As I mentioned, I also taped the seams around the battery to assure no melted snow moisture would get into the battery compartment. Total flight time was 3 minutes, so also a pretty short flight.

Loving snow and nature shots, I couldn't resist, lol. And with no power in the house, in full daylight, and lots of quite visible enticing snow, I viewed it as a unique opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjohnc1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf