DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Novice quad pilot

Bobbzie

Reactions
Hey folks,
I'm a UK based heli/fixed wing R/C flyer with limited hours, but curiously able in term of precision hovering.
In relation to this notion I'm seeking help on two fronts, the first of which would be the legal requirements of such an enterprise, and secondly a suitable piece of kit below £1000 suitable for such work?

Regards and best in advance,

Bobbzie.

Reactions: dirkclod
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that the idea I have is in relation to 'difficult to access' building inspection!

Bobbzie.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
:)

Hi Bobbzie,

I came to quads after a long time of fixed wing flying, although in my case sloping with scale gliders.

Concerning your questions, the Mavic Air is affordable and would do the job very well. In terms of legal requirements, none is required so long as the job is non commercial. There are constraints (guidelines) on where you can fly, which are really common sense. Keep away from people, buildings and stay below 400 ft to avoid other aircraft.

By the way, your hovering abilities are moot, the MA and similar drones will do it for you with gps and barometric pressure.

Hi Bobbzie,

I came to quads after a long time of fixed wing flying, although in my case sloping with scale gliders.

Concerning your questions, the Mavic Air is affordable and would do the job very well. In terms of legal requirements, none is required so long as the job is non commercial. There are constraints (guidelines) on where you can fly, which are really common sense. Keep away from people, buildings and stay below 400 ft to avoid other aircraft.

By the way, your hovering abilities are moot, the MA and similar drones will do it for you with gps and barometric pressure.

Hi.
The building issue is kind of the point really, as I'd be looking to use a quality camera drone for such things as roof inspections etc for customers so...I'm guessing a whole different set of rules apply in terms of using a drone on a commercial basis?
I see a market for this kind of enterprise based upon disgruntled customers not having (for example) access to roofing work being carried out on their property by building companies who've often overcharged for,and 'faked', a lot of alleged work.
I'm a builder myself and consequently see an opportunity for combining R/C flying with business.

Last edited:
Hi.
The building issue is kind of the point really, as I'd be looking to use a quality camera drone for such things as roof inspections etc for customers so...I'm guessing a whole different set of rules apply in terms of using a drone on a commercial basis?
I see a market for this kind of enterprise based upon disgruntled customers not having (for example) access to roofing work being carried out on their property by building companies who've often overcharged for,and 'faked', a lot of alleged work.
I'm a builder myself and consequently see an opportunity for combining R/C flying with business.
Yes you would need a licence, I do not know much about that but I am sure someone here can help you out. There is a fee, I know that. As to what else, I am not sure.

I am sure the mavic Air would be fine for your needs. I have taken some very detailed pics of one of my chimny stack with the Air and the resolution is quite adequate. I flew with sensors enabled so the shots were taken from about 2m from the structure. I would post a pic but l’m away atm and they are on my desktop computer at home.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes you would need a licence, I do not know much about that but I am sure someone here can help you out. There is a fee, I know that. As to what else, I am not sure.

I am sure the mavic Air would be fine for your needs. I have taken some very detailed pics of one of my chimny stack with the Air and the resolution is quite adequate. I flew with sensors enabled so the shots were taken from about 2m from the structure. I would post a pic but l’m away atm and they are on my desktop computer at home.

Cheers,

Chris

Thank you for that Chris. I clearly need to look into this issue a lot further and perhaps contact the British CAA in relation to specific rule and regulations concerning the commercial usage of a drone.
I figured that a lot more folk would have chipped in with advice for a newbie, but I have thus far seemingly guessed that one wrong.
Nonetheless I'll hang out for the time being and see who else might throw their hat into the ring of opinions.

Bobbzie.

Hey folks,
I'm a UK based heli/fixed wing R/C flyer with limited hours, but curiously able in term of precision hovering.
In relation to this notion I'm seeking help on two fronts, the first of which would be the legal requirements of such an enterprise, and secondly a suitable piece of kit below £1000 suitable for such work?

Regards and best in advance,

Bobbzie.
Howdy from Wyoming @Bobbzie , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu