DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Occusync (MavPro) vs Wifi on the Mavic Air - need help!

I've seen 4 different videos/articles on the Air versus Pro Comparison. 2 had the Pro quieter, 2 had the Air quieter. Think it's fair to say the Air and the Pro with the original props are pretty close, obviously with the quieter props or the platinum things shift. That said, its been said a bunch of times the Air is higher pitched, so even at the same volume, seems to be more noticeable or bothersome. The truth is, you'll hear either one if it is hovering 20 feet over your head.

In addition to size and price, I think the Air buys a few more features good for the new pilot, like rear sensors and the advanced avoidance system that might be helpful. The range outside the city, at least in the US is good for most people.

The Pro's extra battery life is a definite plus.

I ended up with the Air, because after my P3A, I wanted to go as small as practical for travel, and am pleased so far.

I'm of the opinion that if you are mostly driving to shoots and such, the Pro is a great way to go. If you will travel to shoots where you are packing it, or hiking and such, the Air's range and battery disadvantages aren't so bad that the portability wins out.

It is not a fair comparison to merely take the DB into account. The Mavic Air has a higher frequency which makes it appear louder (in fact it is louder because our ears are tuned to hear that frequency). The Mavic Air will never win a stealth competition, having said that though as soon as you are up 50 or 60 m you can neither hear it or see it.

Reactions: Mkistler and RFaust
Wow thank you guys for all these responses! Please keep them coming, I’m learning a lot! I am more comfortable with the Air now knowing the WiFi isn’t a real issue. I think deep down I want the Pro, but am looking for reasons to justify the Air since its $200 less new on DJI website. I don’t really need the small travelability of the Air, I’d just be putting the drone in my trunk and driving to film some stuff locally. Are there any differences between the RC on the Air vs Pro? I read the Pro has better RC functions and has a small LCD screen for flying without a phone.

Wow thank you guys for all these responses! Please keep them coming, I’m learning a lot! I am more comfortable with the Air now knowing the WiFi isn’t a real issue. I think deep down I want the Pro, but am looking for reasons to justify the Air since its $200 less new on DJI website. I don’t really need the small travelability of the Air, I’d just be putting the drone in my trunk and driving to film some stuff locally. Are there any differences between the RC on the Air vs Pro? I read the Pro has better RC functions and has a small LCD screen for flying without a phone.
To me, the Mavic Pro win in the range and noise. The occusyn technology it's worth the extra money. The Mavic air is great but the range it's what kill the deal to me.

Reactions: billem16

The Pro has the small screen for flight info, and an extra wheel for changing exposure (that you need to do o the app with the air). While a phone or tablet makes the LCD screen redundant as it doesn't provide anything new, I still wish the Air had it. Better availability of information is never a bad thing, if the app crashes or phone dies or whatnot, you still have some information. Plenty of us have been flying Phantom without the remote screens forever, so it's obviously not a must have, but I would like it. The Air's sticks are removable making it easier to pack, but that doesn't matter if everything is in the car.

The Air is a great product. If you are buying from DJI and want to save the money, I'm sure you'll be happy -- a number of people on the forums have switched and I love mine (although only a few flights with it). I saw a couple of youtube folks that have both say they are making the Air their go-to. That said, if portability is not a concern and you are most worried about range, you may want to find a sale on the Pro from another vendor that makes it close in price and go with the Pro. Range and battery life are always good.

Reactions: RFaust and billem16
The current distance record for the Air is over 5300 meters. Then returning back home. The battery is the factor in limiting the Air to farther distance, not the enhanced WiFi.

And the Mavic Pro is over 8,500 meters. There is no denying it has considerably better range.

Now those leaderboard runs are usually made in perfect conditions. Real world is not the same. For example at the end of my street is open BLM land leading to the Colorado River. I can easily fly my MP down the street and over the BLM land to the river. But by that time my signal is getting down to just 2-3 bars and I get a few video feed pauses—no loss of signal. I’m pretty sure the Air would not make it without losing signal. This is even though the distance is within its optimal operating range. “Optimal” is not having to contend with dozens of homes’ WiFi between the AC and the RC.

Mike

So in terms of image quality, the Air is equal if not better than the Pro? Since it’s smaller and cheaper, I’d expect it to have lower quality or video capabilities, but sounds like it is top notch! Just can’t fly as far or for as long. Any opinions?

So in terms of image quality, the Air is equal if not better than the Pro? Since it’s smaller and cheaper, I’d expect it to have lower quality or video capabilities, but sounds like it is top notch! Just can’t fly as far or for as long. Any opinions?

There are tons of videos and such you can watch with comparisons, each showing things a little differently, but in summary, the cameras are very close. If you are a professional, you are probably better off with something else. If you are a hobbyist, they are both really good. Seems like some differences from unit to unit as well.

In theory, the Air is a little better as it has a higher bit rate, and they both use the same sensor.

In practice, it depends. Seems like stills may be a little better with the Pro and video favors the Air. Some other minor differences:
  • You can pick focus points on the pro, which may be an advantage and give you more flexibility, but may be a disadvantage if you don't get it right
  • Air offers a higher frame rate in 1080P for better slow motion
  • Reports are the Air's gimbal is a little more stable to keep the horizon level
  • A few reports that the Air gets soft in the distance, although that seems to be unit dependent
This video seems to favor the Air in almost all situations.

This one is a nice detailed one that favors the Pro for stills and Air for video:

In my opinion you won’t sacrifice video quality with the Air vs the Pro, and indeed might do a bit better.

Mike

Reactions: RFaust and billem16
And the Mavic Pro is over 8,500 meters. There is no denying it has considerably better range.

Now those leaderboard runs are usually made in perfect conditions. Real world is not the same. For example at the end of my street is open BLM land leading to the Colorado River. I can easily fly my MP down the street and over the BLM land to the river. But by that time my signal is getting down to just 2-3 bars and I get a few video feed pauses—no loss of signal. I’m pretty sure the Air would not make it without losing signal. This is even though the distance is within its optimal operating range. “Optimal” is not having to contend with dozens of homes’ WiFi between the AC and the RC.
Mike

Unless you have an Air to test you don't know. Just another Pro owner making assumptions.

Reactions: Elhefe4
The question you need to ask yourself is if you rather buy a drone that has bigger reach in theory or the drone you will have with you in reality. The latter would be the air.

Unless you have an Air to test you don't know. Just another Pro owner making assumptions.
Yes the leaderboard is a big conspiracy lol.

But seriously, if you are arguing the Air has the same range as the Pro there is nothing to discuss. I’m also unsure where this “just another Pro owner” sentiment comes from: I only bought my Pro this February and could have just as easily gone with the Air. Nothing wrong with the Air but I wanted max range and the ability to use the dji goggles wirelessly should I decide to get them (which I did).

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: tiparoch
For the money, I would go used pro, chances are you'll get everything you'll want to get as accessories with it. I bought one from this site that had under 10 hours in the air and he bought all the extras, for 850. I'm almost at 2000 miles with it.

For the money, I would go used pro, chances are you'll get everything you'll want to get as accessories with it. I bought one from this site that had under 10 hours in the air and he bought all the extras, for 850. I'm almost at 2000 miles with it.
Good idea! What was the site?

Mike

not true at all, I have a video of my Air over 2000M (6500ft) away in suburban San Diego over houses all with wifi before I started to get signal warnings and glitchy video. For reference, my Pro maybe went another 500M before it started to flip out too.

I love both my Mavic's, but if I had a split second to look at my shelf and grab a portable drone on the way out as a backup for my P4, it would be the air. Its just easier to grab, and the gimbal is MUCH better designed and stable than the pro.

Here's a very good YouTube video comparison.

For a new UAV pilot, a very good feature worth considering on the Air is the Obstacle Avoidance. Forward, rear and downward avoidance may very well help you avoid an accident. It works very well.

After doing a ton of research (and learning from all of your comments), I’ve discovered a DJI Mavic Pro II is expected to release any month now... I’m tempted to wait a little and see when it releases and at what price point. But as of now I am leaning towards the Mavic Air. I will purchase in a month unless the Pro II releases by then and I want to put extra $ towards it.

Oh and just to mention - I am rather anxious about whether I receive a drone that works properly. Unfortunately I’ve stumbled across countless buyers comments about defective drones, terrible DJI customer service, etc. I guess I’ll just cross my fingers? I have an iPhone 6, hopefully it connects to the drone RC and I’m up & flying in no time with no issues or calls to customer service (praying!)

After doing a ton of research (and learning from all of your comments), I’ve discovered a DJI Mavic Pro II is expected to release any month now... I’m tempted to wait a little and see when it releases and at what price point. But as of now I am leaning towards the Mavic Air. I will purchase in a month unless the Pro II releases by then and I want to put extra $ towards it.

if you "wait for the next greatest tech thing" you will never buy anything, A new drone could be tomorrow or in 9 months. This is not a relevant reason to wait. As for your second comment, a 6S Plus is my main screen for DJI Go for my Air and Pro, and a iPad mini 3 for my P4, and work fine. Ive owned DJI drones for 8 years, ever since the Phantom 2, never had one fly away, crash (that I didnt cause), break, not do something on its own that I didnt want, or ever had to call customer service. They all worked out of the box with no issues and still to this day, all it takes is a little common sense and RTFM's and you will be fine.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the MP2 has been rumored to be released any month now for about 6 months.

Reactions: tiparoch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa