DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Occusync (MavPro) vs Wifi on the Mavic Air - need help!

Oh and just to mention - I am rather anxious about whether I receive a drone that works properly. Unfortunately I’ve stumbled across countless buyers comments about defective drones, terrible DJI customer service, etc. I guess I’ll just cross my fingers? I have an iPhone 6, hopefully it connects to the drone RC and I’m up & flying in no time with no issues or calls to customer service (praying!)

Flyaways are almost always operator error. Read and understand the manual. Then read it again after you've been flying a dozen or so flights. Always turn on your drone where your going to take off from so it doesn't mark the RTH point inside your house or some other place you don't want it to try and land. Check the orientation and location of your drone to make sure it matches what's on your screen/map and you won't have any problems. The Air is a lot of fun.

if you "wait for the next greatest tech thing" you will never buy anything, A new drone could be tomorrow or in 9 months. This is not a relevant reason to wait. As for your second comment, a 6S Plus is my main screen for DJI Go for my Air and Pro, and a iPad mini 3 for my P4, and work fine. Ive owned DJI drones for 8 years, ever since the Phantom 2, never had one fly away, crash (that I didnt cause), break, not do something on its own that I didnt want, or ever had to call customer service. They all worked out of the box with no issues and still to this day, all it takes is a little common sense and RTFM's and you will be fine.
Ya I agree - that’s why I said I’ll buy the Mav Air in 1 month unless the ProII hits the market by then.
Thanks for the peace of mind of quality products and your experience. Can’t wait to get one.

Flyaways are almost always operator error. Read and understand the manual. Then read it again after you've been flying a dozen or so flights. Always turn on your drone where your going to take off from so it doesn't mark the RTH point inside your house or some other place you don't want it to try and land. Check the orientation and location of your drone to make sure it matches what's on your screen/map and you won't have any problems. The Air is a lot of fun.
I could not agreed more... Flyaways and props not installed correctly are always pilot error.

Reactions: billem16
Thank you for the tips!

Ya I agree - that’s why I said I’ll buy the Mav Air in 1 month unless the ProII hits the market by then.
Thanks for the peace of mind of quality products and your experience. Can’t wait to get one.

IMHO: they won't release it for another year, based on product cycles. They just released the air, so there's no way they're going to release a new drone until that sales cycle is complete. And if they do, pricing will be around 1500 (total conjecture!) based on the price of the pro platinum. And (again, pure conjecture) the Air will still be smaller, so if portability is key, the Air won't be replaced for 3 more years. With that said, there are slamming deals on Mavic Pros to be found (here and on ebay), but the Air at $799 is still a phenomenal drone to fly.

Reactions: AMRE2ME2
IMHO: they won't release it for another year, based on product cycles. They just released the air, so there's no way they're going to release a new drone until that sales cycle is complete. And if they do, pricing will be around 1500 (total conjecture!) based on the price of the pro platinum. And (again, pure conjecture) the Air will still be smaller, so if portability is key, the Air won't be replaced for 3 more years. With that said, there are slamming deals on Mavic Pros to be found (here and on ebay), but the Air at $799 is still a phenomenal drone to fly.
Thanks for the info! I’m tempted to start looking for deals on the Classifieds part of this site - someone just showed me today on this thread (I’m a newb). I feel a little hesitant because I’d be buying a used drone from a complete stranger, and worry if they hide some issues from me. That’s probably 1 out of 100 sellers, but I feel like I’d sleep better at night buying a new one straight from DJI website. Any thoughts on using the Classifieds to buy a used? It would be sweet to find a Pro Platinum for sale at the price of the Mav Air.

Have them show you flight log for hours of use. Was skeptical at first too, but got so much more stuff with it, for 2/3s of new.

Hi I am deciding between purchasing the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. I was previously set on the Mavic Air as it is smaller, seems to have great quality video, $200 cheaper, etc. BUT I recently read that the Mavic Pro uses Occusync and the Mavic Air does not have that, and requires Wifi to fly.. which apparently is a big disadvantage to some people. I do not have a drone yet, so I do not understand all of this drone language yet. But I am trying to decide which drone to purchase. Does the Mavic Air require a WiFi connection to fly?! If so, I do not want it. I plan to fly in some remote areas that will not have a WiFi connection.

In short, my question is - Can someone please explain the difference between the Mavic Air Wifi vs the Mavic Pro Occusync, and your personal opinions? Thank you!

Hi, based on your question regarding the difference between mavic air's WiFi, mavic pro (platinum) Occusync, and lets throw in DJI's Lightbridge. These are video transmission protocols that DJI uses with there drones. Lightbridge is found on the Phantom/Inspire and other commercial drones. Occusync and Lightbridge are exclusively DJI's. The mavic air uses enhanced WiFi for video transmission (reduces cost, almost as good). DJI's Occusync and Lightbridge are definitely better than WiFi but you pay for that. DJI's LightBrige 2 video downlink system by itself sells for $999.00, just saying.

I have a P3A, Mavic Pro, and a Spark. Have had no issues with any of them, ever. just and accidental CSC with my P3A, it broke a leg.

I chose Pro over Air due to the fact it uses Occusync over enhanced WiFi for Video. Just cleaner, lower latency, and the live view offers both 720p@30/60fps and 1080p@30fps, where the air can only produce 720p@30fps

Not to throw a curve ball, don't confuse the WiFi used to control the aircraft with the Wifi used to transmit video. Both the Mavic Air and Pro can be flown without the RC. if you use your phone/tab only, then WiFi is used. otherwise normal rc signal.

Hope this helps, safe flying

These responses are correct. The wifi will come from your controller/phone, not from other networks. The drawback is range, but Dji claims the wifi reaches out pretty good, albeit line of sight. You should remember though that FAA rules say you must only fly in line of sight of your drone. FYI: nobody complies, but should there be a liability issue (think crash) you could be on the hook if you are in violation. Laugh if you want, but insurance will walk away if you aren't in compliance. Few hobbyists have insurance anyway.

I flew a Phantom 3 for 2 years until it inverted and powered into a neighbor's roof from 200ft -- straight down. It was diagnosed on this forum, from the flight log as software/hardware problem (ESC).

I've been reluctant to get back into it, but I am considering a Mavic Air. I like the smaller size. It should be quieter also. Since my flying is just hobby and close to home, I prefer a low profile. For hobby use I think the video will be fine.

Finally, remember once schooled (read this forum) you will find that your drone will return to the home/take off point if you lose your link while flying. It really works and now they've added object avoidance to the flight.

You decide what's best for you. Neither the Pro or the Air are toys.

Line of site as a limitation is not accurate. I have had the Air out a little less than a mile without losing signal.

Thanks to whoever alerted us to the sale at Micro Center. I was almost ready to get an Air, but at $899 I just ordered a Pro Platinum. It's still small (folded), has wifi and occusync, 30 min runtime and they claim it's 60% quieter than the Pro. We'll see.

Reactions: tiparoch
2 cents for Fence Sitters. I am lucky enough to have a Mavic Pro and a M Air. It is a hard call, and not to be vague but it depends on your use of it. I will say a bit though.

For video the MAir has an edge. Slightly higher quality. It also has 2 very cool quick modes , asteroid and boomerang. And slo-mo! Amazing.

For photos l have to give it to the M Pro. The clincher is being able to quickly switch into portrait mode/format. The only Dji and drone l know that can shoot that. Also quick exposure adjust dail!

Other factors,

Noise. I don't have a MP Plat. But l do have the 'quiet' props. Real world, there is not a huge difference. The Air is slightly more loud. Slightly.

Auto avoidance on M Air is nice, kind of fun but
kind of like gesture control, a parlor trick. In some crazy, blind Return to Home senario maybe great. But. ..

Compass - is more finicky on the M Air. Have had to calibrate many times. On M Pro, no problems. And l do manually check the sensor state (s) often.

Range signal and battery. MPro for sure. But folks, the M Air goes very far. Due to where l am l have to go away from houses, settled areas (and l think pilots should anyway), l have little outsude interference.

I have been abroad with the MPro and it has been amazing. Hot, then suddenly cold places, high altitude. Strong winds. Very impressive. Yet to travel with M Air but l think it will be good.

I use my MPro to sometimes carry a 360 camera. It is a champ. Better than the P4. Would not want to try with M Air.

MPro has a great rc with LCD screen. Big plus. And very smooth connecting to DJI goggles, if you are into them. Cordless. Literally made for M Pro.

Both are great. The MPro feels more durable.
But the amazing size of the M Air is something. Literally in your pockets.

Fly safe. Happy spinning!

Last edited:
Reactions: RFaust
Thanks to whoever alerted us to the sale at Micro Center. I was almost ready to get an Air, but at $899 I just ordered a Pro Platinum. It's still small (folded), has wifi and occusync, 30 min runtime and they claim it's 60% quieter than the Pro. We'll see.
You will like it! Still small.

All,

There are some good stories about DJI service. I have had 2 occasions to use them, and both have been strongly positive.

The first was a crash into a pond when I was flying around a point, and couldn’t see the drone. Got a few seconds with he camera shooting underwater, and then the drone flew home, with the camera performing many unnatural movements. DJI repaired it promptly and it came back as good as new $187 and free shipping both ways.

The 2nd problem was this spring. When I was commissioning everything for the season. Checking out the controller turned up the fact that it failed consistently to charge beyond 50%. Working with DJI resulted in shipping it back to them. When they evaluated it, they found the problem and fixed it. Even out of warranty there was no charge, and shipping was free both ways

Reactions: RFaust and tiparoch
I also had a good experience with DJI service. I had a Phantom 4 battery ( not cheap) that l had not used much, that suddenly had a broken cell, non usable. I had bought it from Amazon but well beyond their 30 days return period. I did not buy from the DJI Store. I think it was even past 1 year. DJI was very good about it. They dont have DJI Care where l live ( only 3rd party insurance that is a pain to make a claim). I mailed the battery to them and that was all l paid. They sent a new one to me in 1 week. Good stuff.

All,

There are some good stories about DJI service. I have had 2 occasions to use them, and both have been strongly positive.

The first was a crash into a pond when I was flying around a point, and couldn’t see the drone. Got a few seconds with he camera shooting underwater, and then the drone flew home, with the camera performing many unnatural movements. DJI repaired it promptly and it came back as good as new $187 and free shipping both ways.

The 2nd problem was this spring. When I was commissioning everything for the season. Checking out the controller turned up the fact that it failed consistently to charge beyond 50%. Working with DJI resulted in shipping it back to them. When they evaluated it, they found the problem and fixed it. Even out of warranty there was no charge, and shipping was free both ways

Wow. So your drone partially went into the water? Camera went in the drink? But main body not? And flew home?

Except, you can get a refurbished Mavic Pro with the same coverage as new for $629, and when you put them both in a pack they're practically the same size.

Really, the only reason you can actually argue for the Air is the higher bitrate. The APAS is a nearly-useless gimmick, the battery life is shorter, the range is far inferior, and the actual frame design is stronger than the Air.

Except, you can get a refurbished Mavic Pro with the same

coverage as new for $629, and when you put them both in a pack they're practically the same size.

Really, the only reason you can actually argue for the Air is the higher bitrate. The APAS is a nearly-useless gimmick, the battery life is shorter, the range is far inferior, and the actual frame design is stronger than the Air.

Another person basing his opinion on just one piece of evidence . The drone he ownes . Clearly, he feels the need to justify his decision so despite not owning an air , he's going to talk like some kind of expert on it. (I know he doesn't own an air because he describes them as similar in size . Lol. Almost one HALF the weight and one THIRD the size is similar? In fact, as a percentage, the air is to the pro as the pro is to the phantom. See what I mean...some of these guys will make themselves look 10 kinds of foolish and uninformed rather than acknowledge that foolishness . I will say that he was spot on about one thing . There just isn't any reason to discuss pro vs air. Among those who have owned and used both extensively, I hear some sentimental words about the pro...and I agree. It was the top of the heap. But not for a long time .
Start saving for an air or whatever sji is about to announce. As of now, you and your pro have been weighed, u have been measured, and u have been found wanting . Especially when it comes to reasonable, logical, evidence based and rhetoric infused discussion .

Think about that...the depths of insecurity never cease to amaze me . Lucky for you, there is a way of dismissing the basically useless and entirely one sided opinions like yours so someone else doesn't get an MP and wish they hadn't.

Ignore the opinions of EVEEVERY who only own one or the other . Too much bias ....they can't help themselves .

IF u solicit and pay close attention to the opinions of people who own BOTH drones u are considering, some very useful info will emerge .

For instance:
I listen to only those who own both, and among this group who has no dog in the hunt, no need to make themselves feel better, no desire to come across as some kind of expert.. .the overwhelming majority who could use either one on any given day, self report that they choose the Air much much more often . Do some use the pro sometimes? Sure. And while they might be out there, I haven't ever. ... Ever. ... Come across someone who owns both and uses the pro more hours per day and more days per week and more weeks in a month than the air .

So think about that, and what it says about everything from the capabilities of each drone to just how fun they each are to fly.

I conceede that the pro flys a few mins more per battery, but the pics and vids I get with my air are so consistently and overwhelmingly better, u won't even notice (I surely don't)

When I first got the air, I was concerned that my clients (I do real estate drone work, I'm mapping the county golf courses, and I'm involved in an agriculture study .(and yes the air handles all of those eaaily) For weeks I took every shot on both drones and offered both to the clients . I wanted to make sure THEY agreed about the quality of the air over the pro. I offered clients that choice at least 20 times in those first weeks. Even I was unprepared for the results of my little blind test . My clients chose the air products only 2 times out of 20+ And why those two?

Reactions: freightshaker
I have both of these and like them both. The pro is a great workhorse with better rc range and lifting capacity. In the us, both drones have very good range. In Europe, the air, in my experience, is a line of sight device, capable of 300 it 400 meters distance. This is enough for short range shots where you need to keep an eye on your drone anyway, but not enough to go out a couple of kilometers to follow a boat or dolphin.

The video quality of the air is superior, and it can take a crash better than the prop ro, not too the point of being a show stopper for the pro, in my opinion.

Short story, for range go for the pro, for travelability go for the air.
Does Pro fly far in city areas?

These responses are correct. The wifi will come from your controller/phone, not from other networks. The drawback is range, but Dji claims the wifi reaches out pretty good, albeit line of sight. You should remember though that FAA rules say you must only fly in line of sight of your drone. FYI: nobody complies, but should there be a liability issue (think crash) you could be on the hook if you are in violation. Laugh if you want, but insurance will walk away if you aren't in compliance. Few hobbyists have insurance anyway.

I flew a Phantom 3 for 2 years until it inverted and powered into a neighbor's roof from 200ft -- straight down. It was diagnosed on this forum, from the flight log as software/hardware problem (ESC).

I've been reluctant to get back into it, but I am considering a Mavic Air. I like the smaller size. It should be quieter also. Since my flying is just hobby and close to home, I prefer a low profile. For hobby use I think the video will be fine.

Finally, remember once schooled (read this forum) you will find that your drone will return to the home/take off point if you lose your link while flying. It really works and now they've added object avoidance to the flight.

You decide what's best for you. Neither the Pro or the Air are toys.
As for insurance, join AMA & get $2.5 million for $75 a year. I tried drone insurance with State Farm & it was almost as much as the insurance for my Expedition & my Expedition seldom leaves Terra Firma.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom