DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 looming- What can I bring into the test?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Part 107 test in 6 days, Oct 1. I think I'm pretty well prepared. I know they are very strict on what you can bring into the test and will even provide pencil and paper. There are really only two things I still need visually; a compass chart and a clock with military time. I guess it's old age, but while I know that 0°/360° is north, 180° is sound 90° is east and 270° is west, I still have difficulty visualizing the numbers inbetween. A visual aid would help.

Additionally, I know that when reading METAR or TAF reports all the time stamps are in zulu time, so I know that I have to count backwards into whatever time zone in the US they put me in. In anticipation of that question I suppose I could just just my watch... if that is allowed (just standard dial with hands).

I know that some math I'm sure is involved as it may require translating MSL to AGL or vice versa, or instead of °/'/" they might have long/lat degrees in decimials rather than minutes and seconds. Is a calculator allowed?

One more thing... I know that several questions will be asked regarding sectional maps. In what form are those maps provided; printed or electronic? If electronic can the image be "blown up" for a better view of the details? I'm trying to grasp what to expect, especially for viewing as I use different glasses prescriptions for different tasks. I actually have 4 different types of prescriptions for different tasks. I just reminded myself to bring two different pairs. My progressive lenses produce terrible eye strain on the computer, but are terrible for reading small printing on paper.

Anything else I'm missing or should know as I go into the final days of preparation. I want to do anything I can to reduce potential stress on test day.

That's a good question, I've not had to take the full test having been part 61. Hopefully someone here can help you out. A little stress is OK, know your sectional and airspace.

I know they are very strict on what you can bring into the test and will even provide pencil and paper.
Technically the only things they should allow you to bring in to the testing room are your glasses and a magnifying glass. It will depend on the testing center and the proctor but you should even leave your watch outside (which I did when I took mine).

a compass chart
I doubt they will let you bring in a compass chart. No paper of any kind is allowed to be brought in. However, if you look at any sectional chart (in the student handbook), just find a VOR compass rose and get what you need.

a clock with military time
I am not sure why this is needed? The computer has a digital clock on it and there is usually a wall clock in the testing room.

Additionally, I know that when reading METAR or TAF reports all the time stamps are in zulu time, so I know that I have to count backwards into whatever time zone in the US they put me in.
They are not out to trick you with time zone conversions. I don't think this should be a major concern.

I know that some math I'm sure is involved as it may require translating MSL to AGL or vice versa, or instead of °/'/" they might have long/lat degrees in decimials rather than minutes and seconds. Is a calculator allowed?
Yes I believe you are allowed to bring a basic calculator. No advanced functions. I did not bring one and had no problems with any of the questions.

One more thing... I know that several questions will be asked regarding sectional maps. In what form are those maps provided; printed or electronic?
The sectional charts are in the student handbook, which is all paper. Many have complained that it is hard to read the small text and I agree. Additionally the testing room was not well lit. Bring a lighted magnifying glass and you should be fine.

Reactions: Wilbur
The sectional charts are printed. They will have every tool that you can possibly think of including a calculator. You will be allowed to wear and use your watch for assistance. They have magnifying glasses for those visually impaired. The testing site was very well prepared, as it sounds like you are. Best wishes!

Technically the only things they should allow you to bring in to the testing room are your glasses and a magnifying glass. It will depend on the testing center and the proctor but you should even leave your watch outside (which I did when I took mine).
I doubt they will let you bring in a compass chart. No paper of any kind is allowed to be brought in. However, if you look at any sectional chart (in the student handbook),
just find a VOR compass rose and get what you need.
I am not sure why this is needed? The computer has a digital clock on it and there is usually a wall clock in the testing room.
They are not out to trick you with time zone conversions. I don't think this should be a major concern.
Yes I believe you are allowed to bring a basic calculator. No advanced functions. I did not bring one and had no problems with any of the questions.

The sectional charts are in the student handbook, which is all paper. Many have complained that it is hard to read the small text and I agree. Additionally the testing room was not well lit. Bring a lighted magnifying glass and you should be fine.

Thanks. I think that answers my questions. I hadn't planned on the magnifying glass, but that's a great idea. I'll put that on my list of things to have with me. I don't think my watch will be a problem as it is a basic analog watch with dial and hands and no other functions. I'm trying to get a better memory of the compass degrees.

One area that I find a bit confusing is caculating distance via lat/long clicks. Something I didn't know until yesterday is that latitude and longitude have different distances between every 1°. Finding locations via XY coordinates is a challenge because the way they're written make me invert the x and y as I follow the clicks.
  • One degree of latitude equals approximately 364,000 feet (69 miles), one minute equals 6,068 feet (1.15 miles), and one-second equals 101 feet. One-degree of longitude equals 288,200 feet (54.6 miles), one minute equals 4,800 feet (0.91 mile), and one second equals 80 feet

Thanks. I think that answers my questions. I hadn't planned on the magnifying glass, but that's a great idea. I'll put that on my list of things to have with me. I don't think my watch will be a problem as it is a basic analog watch with dial and hands and no other functions. I'm trying to get a better memory of the compass degrees.

One area that I find a bit confusing is caculating distance via lat/long clicks. Something I didn't know until yesterday is that latitude and longitude have different distances between every 1°. Finding locations via XY coordinates is a challenge because the way they're written make me invert the x and y as I follow the clicks.
  • One degree of latitude equals approximately 364,000 feet (69 miles), one minute equals 6,068 feet (1.15 miles), and one-second equals 101 feet. One-degree of longitude equals 288,200 feet (54.6 miles), one minute equals 4,800 feet (0.91 mile), and one second equals 80 feet
That's getting pretty deep. I honestly have never had to deal with that as an Aviator.

That's getting pretty deep. I honestly have never had to deal with that as an Aviator.
Perhaps. And perhaps my personality looks for questions within the questions for the sake of the knowledge itself. I'm amazed at what pilots need to know, but moreso how to plan to fly through the ever-changing air space and around obstacles and NFZ's, both permanent and temporary. I think it would make my head explode.

Not to get into politics in any way, but rather than just take peoples' opinions on issues,(particularly news channels and ESPECIALLY POLITICIANS') I use their opinions to ask questions and look for the source material. It's amazing what I discover that, at least in my opinion, contradicts the conclusions that the talking heads (and politicians) would have you believe. It amazing how much critical information is left out as they try to sway public opinion to suit their agendas.

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Take an hour to study your notes before you go in and then once you are in the testing area write down everything you can think of on the paper provided. That has always worked well for me and my students.

Perhaps. And perhaps my personality looks for questions within the questions for the sake of the knowledge itself. I'm amazed at what pilots need to know, but moreso how to plan to fly through the ever-changing air space and around obstacles and NFZ's, both permanent and temporary. I think it would make my head explode.

Not to get into politics in any way, but rather than just take peoples' opinions on issues,(particularly news channels and ESPECIALLY POLITICIANS') I use their opinions to ask questions and look for the source material. It's amazing what I discover that, at least in my opinion, contradicts the conclusions that the talking heads (and politicians) would have you believe. It amazing how much critical information is left out as they try to sway public opinion to suit their agendas.
That's an awesome way to dig yourself in hole at an oral board. Just focus on the answers and dig deeper later

A very basic (add/sub/multiply/divide calculator is usually supplied
Pencil supplied
Clean paper supplied

+the only real this I would suggest is a magnifying glass.
+Use the scratch paper especially for measuring distances when looking for towers and other obstructions in (direction and miles) from point A.
+Remember not all pages in the booklet are oriented to N
+Use the Sectional Chart Legend, it’s your best friend!
+Use the Chart Supplement Legend (and all the pages of explanation), they are your second best friend.
+Use the supplied booklet to the max to verify any guessed response. Those charts and diagrams are there for a reason, use them
+Ensure you eat a balanced meal prior, but do NOT gorge yourself as a too full stomach makes one drowsy.
+do NOT stuff your stomach with any diuretic foods/drinks, especially coffee. A full bladder will place you in an undesired pressure position!
+If you take your own magnifying glass, use it!
+basic airport/runway markings
+Look at and separate the METARs
+know weather and effects, I.e., heavy/light air vs loads, air currents, etc
+runway compass directions, i.e., runway 9 vs 18, chart supplements help with a visual on
+know the up/down wind of runway approaches and your position relative to direction of aircraft landing/approaching/passing
+control tower frequencies
+GMT as compared to a particular airport, and daylight savings vs standard times

Yes, there is more,
Good night rest the night prior, no alcohol 2x days prior for clear mind.

Finally, you can do it! Do NOT let this seem over-whelming. Relax, read the question, answer in your mind before looking at the multiple choices. Look at the responses to confirm your answer.

You can do it!

Last edited:
Reactions: snapdog
A very basic (add/sub/multiply/divide calculator is usually supplied
Pencil supplied
Clean paper supplied

+the only real this I would suggest is a magnifying glass.
+Use the scratch paper especially for measuring distances when looking for towers and other obstructions in (direction and miles) from point A.
+Remember not all pages in the booklet are oriented to N
+Use the Sectional Chart Legend, it’s your best friend!
+Use the Chart Supplement Legend (and all the pages of explanation), they are your second best friend.
+Use the supplied booklet to the max to verify any guessed response. Those charts and diagrams are there for a reason, use them
+Ensure you eat a balanced meal prior, but do NOT gorge yourself as a too full stomach makes one drowsy.
+do NOT stuff your stomach with any diuretic foods/drinks, especially coffee. A full bladder will place you in an undesired pressure position!
+If you take your own magnifying glass, use it!
+basic airport/runway markings
+Look at and separate the METARs
+know weather and effects, I.e., heavy/light air vs loads
That's a list! That's worse than a stage check lol

Check with your test site. Mine provided a calculator, ruler/protractor and a magnifying glass, along with a clear sheet and grease pencil to overlay the chart book and make notes. The magnifying glass was very handy. I’m not sure I needed the calculator, and I didn’t use the other stuff but I can see where it could be handy. One thing I did was mark and skip a few chart questions the first time through to avoid getting bogged down searching the chart because some things can take awhile to locate. I wanted to get through with the less time-consuming questions first. As it happened, I finished the whole thing in about 35 minutes, but I would still save the chart-searching questions to the end.

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Check with your test site. Mine provided a calculator, ruler/protractor and a magnifying glass, along with a clear sheet and grease pencil to overlay the chart book and make notes. The magnifying glass was very handy. I’m not sure I needed the calculator, and I didn’t use the other stuff but I can see where it could be handy. One thing I did was mark and skip a few chart questions the first time through to avoid getting bogged down searching the chart because some things can take awhile to locate. I wanted to get through with the less time-consuming questions first. As it happened, I finished the whole thing in about 35 minutes, but I would still save the chart-searching questions to the end.
That's how you do it!

FAA tests are all multiple-choice answers...

Make several passes thru the questions:

First pass - answer the questions you KNOW the answers to immediately; the correct answer will be obvious if you studied.

Second pass - do the questions requiring calculations; watch out for questions posed in one unit of measure and odd answers in other units (like Fahrenheit and Centigrade or MSL/AGL and NM/SM).

Third pass - do the sectional chart questions and those involving the AFD. Use the chart legend as others have stated regarding symbols and airspace types. If you need to do a distance measurement make a ‘ruler’ with the test center-provided paper and pencil for nautical miles and statue miles.

BTW, the sectional charts in the provided illustration book are NOT the regular size of a sectional chart, so a plotter (which you can take with you) will be useless.

If you THINK you have the right answer, but have some doubt, or you really are confused by the question you can MARK the question in the test computer, then come back to the ‘marked’ questions and dig into them (do these last).

READ every question completely along with the answers, take your time...these type of tests usually have questions with four types of answers:
1. Correct answer.
2. Almost correct/incomplete answer.
3. Answer that LOOKS right, but wrong unit of measure.
4. Completely wrong answer not even related to the question.

You can also make a ‘score sheet’ using their paper...put down a hash mark for every question you’re certain you got right...remember you only need 70% to pass. If the exam has 60 questions you need a minimum of 42 correct answers.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78