DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passed Part 107 Recurrent test, but last name spelled wrong

dbsanders

Reactions
I passed the recurrent test yesterday, but the lady at the test center spelled my name wrong in the registration process. It was an "appointment-only" test center, so PSI didn't do the registration on the phone, it was done at the test center. Before starting the test, I had the opportunity to notice correct it, but when I clicked update, I got an error "there was an error updating your information". The lady was helping through this part and said "Oh you're fine, don't worry about it" so I continued.

After I passed, the printout came with my last name still misspelled. Not sure if that will cause an issue or what will happen. The lady said there was nothing she could do, and I'd have to call the FAA or PSI, or someone else, she didn't know. I've tried to call PSI but after being on hold for 10-15 minutes it sends me to voicemail. I will continue calling on Monday I guess.

Any suggestions?

It will be a problem as you create your account and sync your account with the exam number. Everything must match exactly in IACRA or the linking will fail.

There’s a phone number to call on the botton of your test page in the IACRA website for test issues... call them tomorrow.

There’s a phone number to call on the botton of your test page in the IACRA website for test issues... call them tomorrow.
I will give that a try, thanks. I'm hoping it can be corrected, since she took pictures of my current airman certificate and my drivers license and associated them with the exam. Both of those obviously are spelled correctly.

I passed the recurrent test yesterday, but the lady at the test center spelled my name wrong in the registration process. It was an "appointment-only" test center, so PSI didn't do the registration on the phone, it was done at the test center. Before starting the test, I had the opportunity to notice correct it, but when I clicked update, I got an error "there was an error updating your information". The lady was helping through this part and said "Oh you're fine, don't worry about it" so I continued.

After I passed, the printout came with my last name still misspelled. Not sure if that will cause an issue or what will happen. The lady said there was nothing she could do, and I'd have to call the FAA or PSI, or someone else, she didn't know. I've tried to call PSI but after being on hold for 10-15 minutes it sends me to voicemail. I will continue calling on Monday I guess.

Any suggestions?
Here's what the IACRA says:

Q.How do I correct an application through IACRA?A.Please make sure you have reviewed your application thoroughly with your Recommending Instructor prior to having your instructor sign the application. The Certifying Officer can return the application to you for correction using the “Edit application” feature in IACRA if your certification was for the enhancement to ATP CFR 61, 121, 135, and 141 certificates and you have not yet signed your applications. Any other certificates, once signed by the Recommending Instructor will require that you start a new application.
When you sign your application, during your practical test, please again review the application and make sure your Examiner understands all the ratings you have and are applying for. This will help the Examiner in completing their portion of the application process.
Once the application has been signed and submitted to the Airman Certification Branch (Registry) by the Examiner, there are a couple of ways to have the application and/or issued temporary certificate corrected.
To submit a corrected IACRA application, please select one of the two following processes:

1. CORRECTING AN APPLICATION THROUGH IACRA:
The Certifying Officer (I.e. Designated Examiner) will print a copy for the application package that needs correction. NOTE: The verbiage “IACRA Generated Copy” DOES NOT have to be redacted from the top of each application form prior to sending the “Corrected IACRA” to the Airmen Certification Branch. The corrected copy must have all appropriate e-signatures. If any e-signature(s) are missing, the application must be manually signed by the appropriate official prior to sending to the Registry. Write the word "Corrected-IACRA" at the top of the application in large red letters.
NOTE: The Registry is receiving and processing IACRA submissions for dates of issuances as early as two weeks ago. Time is of the essence for sending in “Corrected IACRA’s.” Due to the time sensitivity, the Registry will allow you to fax “Corrected IACRA’s” that have e-signatures only. If manual signatures are included, those must be mailed in by the Post Office. Submit “Corrected IACRA’s” as soon as possible. (Airmen Certification’s - AFS-760 fax number is: 405-954-4105)
The Registry will only process a “Corrected IACRA” as long as there is a record in the Comprehensive Airmen Information System of the original IACRA application that was submitted electronically. A note must be attached to help identify the error on the first transmission and explain that this is a corrected IACRA application and that the original was completed in IACRA.
If the corrected application is not received by the Registry by the time they process the first application, the applicant, will first receive an incorrect certificate which will be followed by the corrected certificate. You can use the corrected Temporary Certificate to exercise your privileges.
NOTE: Ensure that the complete application package (I.e. temporary airman certificate, application form - front and back, knowledge test, if applicable, and PBR) are all mailed or faxed to the Airmen Certification Branch (AFS-760) along with all corrections or errors annotated.

2. CORRECTING AN APPLICATION OUTSIDE OF IACRA:
The applicant will submit a new paper application for the certificate that needs correction. Do not use IACRA. Write the word “Corrected IACRA” at the top of the application in large red letters. Go to the Certifying Officer (Examiner) and complete the front side of the paper application and have the examiner issue a new temporary that is missing the information or needs other corrections.
The Certifying Officer (Examiner) completes the rest of the application in it’s entirety with the proper manual signatures and attaches a note of explanation to the Registry as to why they are submitting a “Corrected IACRA”. Since this is not an IACRA form, the paper application must be submitted to the FSDO for approval. The FSDO will then forward all paperwork (including the note of explanation) to the Registry.
If the corrected paper application is not received by the Registry by the time they process the first IACRA application, the applicant will receive an incorrect certificate which will be followed by the corrected certificate. It is critical that the corrected paper application gets mailed in by the FSDO in a timely manner to avoid this from happening.
NOTE: Ensure that the complete application package (I.e. temporary airman certificate, application form - front and back, knowledge test, if applicable, and PBR) are all mailed or faxed to the Airmen Certification Branch (AFS-760) along with all corrections or errors annotated.

Reactions: AMann
Here's what the IACRA says:

Q.How do I correct an application through IACRA?A.Please make sure you have reviewed your application thoroughly with your Recommending Instructor prior to having your instructor sign the application. The Certifying Officer can return the application to you for correction using the “Edit application” feature in IACRA if your certification was for the enhancement to ATP CFR 61, 121, 135, and 141 certificates and you have not yet signed your applications. Any other certificates, once signed by the Recommending Instructor will require that you start a new application.
When you sign your application, during your practical test, please again review the application and make sure your Examiner understands all the ratings you have and are applying for. This will help the Examiner in completing their portion of the application process.
Once the application has been signed and submitted to the Airman Certification Branch (Registry) by the Examiner, there are a couple of ways to have the application and/or issued temporary certificate corrected.
To submit a corrected IACRA application, please select one of the two following processes:

1. CORRECTING AN APPLICATION THROUGH IACRA:
The Certifying Officer (I.e. Designated Examiner) will print a copy for the application package that needs correction. NOTE: The verbiage “IACRA Generated Copy” DOES NOT have to be redacted from the top of each application form prior to sending the “Corrected IACRA” to the Airmen Certification Branch. The corrected copy must have all appropriate e-signatures. If any e-signature(s) are missing, the application must be manually signed by the appropriate official prior to sending to the Registry. Write the word "Corrected-IACRA" at the top of the application in large red letters.
NOTE: The Registry is receiving and processing IACRA submissions for dates of issuances as early as two weeks ago. Time is of the essence for sending in “Corrected IACRA’s.” Due to the time sensitivity, the Registry will allow you to fax “Corrected IACRA’s” that have e-signatures only. If manual signatures are included, those must be mailed in by the Post Office. Submit “Corrected IACRA’s” as soon as possible. (Airmen Certification’s - AFS-760 fax number is: 405-954-4105)
The Registry will only process a “Corrected IACRA” as long as there is a record in the Comprehensive Airmen Information System of the original IACRA application that was submitted electronically. A note must be attached to help identify the error on the first transmission and explain that this is a corrected IACRA application and that the original was completed in IACRA.
If the corrected application is not received by the Registry by the time they process the first application, the applicant, will first receive an incorrect certificate which will be followed by the corrected certificate. You can use the corrected Temporary Certificate to exercise your privileges.

2. CORRECTING AN APPLICATION OUTSIDE OF IACRA:
The applicant will submit a new paper application for the certificate that needs correction. Do not use IACRA. Write the word “Corrected IACRA” at the top of the application in large red letters. Go to the Certifying Officer (Examiner) and complete the front side of the paper application and have the examiner issue a new temporary that is missing the information or needs other corrections.
The Certifying Officer (Examiner) completes the rest of the application in it’s entirety with the proper manual signatures and attaches a note of explanation to the Registry as to why they are submitting a “Corrected IACRA”. Since this is not an IACRA form, the paper application must be submitted to the FSDO for approval. The FSDO will then forward all paperwork (including the note of explanation) to the Registry.
If the corrected paper application is not received by the Registry by the time they process the first IACRA application, the applicant will receive an incorrect certificate which will be followed by the corrected certificate. It is critical that the corrected paper application gets mailed in by the FSDO in a timely manner to avoid this from happening.

Oh yeah, I skipped reading that part... sorry OP- you have some paperwork ahead of you. But I would call them too.

I had a similar, but very frustrating mistake made by the testing center. Then they input my last name, the lady hit a space before the enter. They were specific to tell me to check all information when I passed. My problems started when I made my application to IACRA. I kept getting a name mismatch, and only after very careful inspection did I note the space between my last name and the coma separating last name from first.

Long story short, it was a real PITA to get it corrected. Note to everyone else, check the information VERY CAREFULLY when taking the 107 exam. One one hand, I am glad the FAA is very serious about the validity of the registration, but the "casual error" cost me weeks to get it corrected. Lesson Learned.

The testing center guy started entered my last name as Mcdo... I said that needs to be a capital D, not that it probably matters. He said, "Oh yeah it does." Then he spelled my name as GeraLd. I said it's GeraRd, and suggested that TSA must have a fit with misspelled names. He said no, the problem will be with the FAA, and they have a big problem with it.

I talked to the FAA and got some different answers. But in the end, it wasn't a big deal, for the recurrent test at least. The requirement is that you retake the knowledge test every 2 years, and you just keep the test report to prove it if asked. From a regulatory/policy inspector at the FAA:

"I discussed your issue with one of our regulatory/policy inspectors. He and I both agree that you are ok with the test report having the misspelling of your name. Please hold on to this email in case there is ever a question about the spelling. In 24 months you will have to take the recurrent again, and your name can be corrected at that time. The other inspector and I both checked your information in our airman system. The spelling there is still correct. The recurrent test results do not feed into our airman information system, so no issues there."

Reactions: kadras
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR