DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot loses control of drone during Ohio State football game, records show

Although I hate to see any harm come to anyone, I think it's time examples are made to discourage this kind of behavior. It's going to come to where one has to provide their Trust Certificate or Part 107 license to purchase a drone, to begin with.

Although not mentioned, I doubt it was a DJI drone as it wouldn't let him launch in a NFZ. I know many complain about the GEO restrictions that DJI hard programs into their drones, but when you see knuckleheads like this who don't bother reading or understanding the aircraft and regulations, I pause and salute DJI for doing so

Although not mentioned, I doubt it was a DJI drone as it wouldn't let him launch in a NFZ.
Was it in a DJI no fly zone? I've noticed that DJI's zones are mostly about airports, and often miss heliports and the like. Certainly they let you fly inside control zones without checking that you have authorization.

Was it in a DJI no fly zone? I've noticed that DJI's zones are mostly about airports, and often miss heliports and the like. Certainly they let you fly inside control zones without checking that you have authorization.
The stadium is in a NFZ or TFR and was active. Even if it isn't doesn't negate my point that examples should be made to discourage this kind of behavior

It's interesting that all of the news footage after 1:20 in the video above is drone footage.

The footage is an empty stadium. Probably stock footage.

The news report stated the NFZ or TFR is from the FAA with a three mile radius one hour before, during, and one hour after on game days.

Probably just regular flying outside of those times. 🤔

Last edited:
Looking for more information about the story, the event brings up a lot of interesting questions. While I don't think this particular event is unique from the standpoint that it will change the way we look at drones or address their failures, I do believe it highlights several needs (which are pointed out here in the forum as well as in the various news broadcasts) which still need to be addressed. In particular, how do we properly and effectively get the word out to the thousands of hobby flyers who just don't know or don't understand the rules, not so we can excuse anyone or anything, but to focus on prevention (which I assume is what everyone, including me) wants.

This is the incident and note the commentators said "it's not one of ours" not that it means anything significant. It looks like the drone may have simply passed directly over the playing field or it came out and over the field and onto the field....and either they removed it or it flew back. Still looking for actual footage so we can see type and model.

Last edited:
who just don't know or don't understand the rules,
I may be wrong, but I would think with the popularity of drones and as much that has been reported via news outlets that anyone who doesn't have their head buried in the sand would know better. Personally, I think it is a matter of not 'caring' what the rules are. I call it the "I bought this drone, and I'm going to do what I want to" syndrome. We see this mentality with other devices as well.

"it's not one of ours"
What he said was, "it's not ours, in case you're wondering" I don't think that is an inference that the broadcaster uses drones.

I may be wrong, but I would think with the popularity of drones and as much that has been reported via news outlets that anyone who doesn't have their head buried in the sand would know better. Personally, I think it is a matter of not 'caring' what the rules are. I call it the "I bought this drone, and I'm going to do what I want to" syndrome. We see this mentality with other devices as well.
That's exactly what I would like to know as well; still checking.

What he said was, "it's not ours, in case you're wondering" I don't think that is an inference that the broadcaster uses drones.
I took it to mean it was not a sanctioned drone by the team or the network or public safety or whomever else officially flies drones maybe before or after the event. The broadcaster could immediately tell it was a "rogue" drone which is why I'm curious what he saw and where he saw it because the broadcaster would obviously know if their own drone would come out on the field or over the field and see it's not one of theirs; he's probably familiar with what official drone usage for the event looks like....and this wasn't it.

Broadcaster was implying we didn't let one of our own drones loose accidentally; instead this appears to be an unwanted incursion. That was my take.

Reactions: mneeze
More information is not readily available so I'll just leave this link to another overall drone national news story that may have been triggered by the event:

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Although not mentioned, I doubt it was a DJI drone as it wouldn't let him launch in a NFZ.
The drone might have been a DJI Drone, and I hope we do find out…

"DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO Zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major event venues, forest fires, or other emergency situations."

I do not know how DJI is notified of a particular No-Fly-Zone so that the database might be updated nor how the database in the Drone would be updated either.

I live within the Class D airspace of Langley AFB and when they had their Open House a while back, there was a No-Fly-Zone Established. But my Mini 2 Motors did fire up, but I did not launch and I only received the standard "Aircraft in Enhanced Warning Zone. Fly With Caution." When I turned on the Drone, I was in the back yard and my Device is a WiFi only tablet and it had no internet access…

Here is the link to DJI…

Reactions: TonyMV3
Sports broadcasters use drones all the time. They even show the drones from their other cameras. But you can be sure all the T's are crossed and I's dotted on the permits and waivers!!!

Reactions: mavic3usa
I think we should refer to it as a TFR or a temporary flight restriction. They don't last forever and drone flight in the covered area is restricted, no necessarily prohibited. To me, a No-Fly-Zone is over a military base or over POTUS as popular examples where there is no way a drone is ever allowed to fly there under any circumstances. Your DJI drone should stop you from flying in a NFZ but not necessarily in a TFR. These are my own personal definitions that help guide my own drone flying and ymmv and they may or may not line up with the law.

What this guy did, he flew in a TFR and because he flew over the field, the game was stopped. However, if he flew in the Best Buy parking lot just minutes after he came out of Best Buy and that store was located inside the TFR but still over a mile away from the stadium, technically he could have still been arrested and charged.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa