Playback speed on the Mavic

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Urbansailor, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Urbansailor

Urbansailor Member

Hey guys,

Had my first outdoor flight today and I absolutly love this thing. (Although I did have a run in with 2 birds which made me cut the flight short! 2 Big kestrals suddenly showed an interest after appearing from nowhere :p)

I watched the videos recorded during the flight today and noticed something. Flying around just looking at trees, scenery etc is fine. But when I tested active track and had the Mavic focused on me, the playback almost looked sped up. A little bit short of needing the Benny Hill theme tune while I was walking around. Anyone else noticed this?

I'm not too fussed as I'm not using that part of the video, but if you try using editing software to slow it down (Sony movie studio), it seems a tad jerky.

Just wondering if I've missed a setting on the Mavic.

2. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Hey,

Did you find a solution for the sped up playback?? Just did my first flight today, and I'm having the exact same problem.
    Hopefully it's just some kind of setting that i missed .

Cheers,
    Davy

3. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

4. The Kiting Dutchman

I am having the same problem during my first flight with follow me

5. The Kiting Dutchman

When I did a "normal" recording the speed seemed to be normal

6. JCorey

JCorey Member

Happened to me once. I think its just a glitch in the software. Hasn't happened since.

7. The Kiting Dutchman

Thank you JCorey. I just upgraded to firmware 01.03.0200 (app 4.0.2) and will try it again. A glitch in the software is not unusual: sometimes the lower half of the image on the iPhone is green and after a while it is back to normal.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

I was a bit disappointed that no one else came here to address the issue and help us out. I'm a photographer so don't know much about shooting videos. Anyway I did some research and found the answer...
    If you record with a high shutter speed (in bright conditions) the playback will seem to be sped up, because the video isn't as smooth. You can solve this by using ND filters (these have been discussed in the forum), this way you can bring down the shutter speed, ideally to about 1/120s.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

9. The Kiting Dutchman

Today I made a recording in lower light conditions (previously I had bright conditions) and now it was not sped up but quite normal, so I can confirm the conclusion of SuperDave. I wouldn't like to work with filters, so I will try to figure out if there is an other work around. (Maybe MP4 instead of MOV or whatever; I didn't figure out yet all the settings to play with and didn't do all the reading of Forums). I also reported the issue to DJI-support, but no answer so far.

10. The Kiting Dutchman

Forgot to mention that all my recordings were made in 'active tracking' (not 'follow me')

11. The Kiting Dutchman

Found this remark of Mojo that seems plausible to me:
    'Quote'
    My guess is you were shooting 4K 30fps with an extremely high shutter speed. The shutter speed should be set to 2x the frame rate . If you had the camera set to auto and its bright... the shutter speed will adjust to an abnormally high rate and cause jumpy video. The only way to fix that on cameras with a fixed aperture, like the phantom, is with ND filters or flying when there is less available light.

You could also fly at a higher frame rate,60 fps and 120ish shutter speed, that would also mitigate the available light issue.
    'Unquote'
    I will try to follow this advice as soon as I have the opportunity.

SuperDave likes this.