DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro variable ND filters

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using the PolarPro variable ND filters on other drones?

I've been using a full set of Tapco ND's on my P3A for years which have been fine, just a faff to change (weather can be pretty changeable in the UK). I've got a MA2 on order and noticed that PolarPro have a variable filter available for pre-order: PolarPro variable ND filters

There are reviews of the Freewell variable filters on this forum and YouTube, but not many for PolarPro variable filters. Based on their reputation i'd expect them to be pretty good, just looking for any confirmation on quality, colour accuracy or X pattern etc of their variables available for other models.

I have no advice to offer, but if you do buy it, please let us all know how you get on with it, I'm afraid I'll break something fitting and removing ND filters.. I see the range is 2 - 5 stops, I think that's between ND4 and ND32, perfect for most occasions..

Reactions: Slade
Not a lot of help I know but I have the Freewell variable ND filter and can vouch for it.
Like you say they save a lot a faffing around.

Not a lot of help I know but I have the Freewell variable ND filter and can vouch for it.

Would you go with the variable or fixed ones? I've been hearing mixed reviews for variable filters

I have no advice to offer, but if you do buy it, please let us all know how you get on with it, I'm afraid I'll break something fitting and removing ND filters.. I see the range is 2 - 5 stops, I think that's between ND4 and ND32, perfect for most occasions..

Yea, PolarPro have two filters, a 1-5 and a 6-9 stop. I think the first will be perfect for video shoots in the UK as seem to use 8-16 normally.
nd_04.png

Would you go with the variable or fixed ones? I've been hearing mixed reviews for variable filters

Yea thats why i'm a little concerned. From what i've read the early Freewell filters had lots of problems, but was sorted out later on. PolarPro seem to have an excellent reputation so will probably give it a go.

Cheers, good to know. Posted on here for some honest feedback and advice, I find it quite hard to get unbiased reviews these days, with YouTube videos all being sponsored posts or people getting sent kit for free for good reviews.

Well, i've pre-ordered a set so will update this thread when they arrive :) Excited to upgrade my P3A as been using it since it was released, MA2 should be a nice upgrade.

Last edited:
Yea, PolarPro have two filters, a 1-5 and a 6-9 stop. I think the first will be perfect for video shoots in the UK as seem to use 8-16 normally.
proxy-image

Yea thats why i'm a little concerned. From what i've read the early Freewell filters had lots of problems, but was sorted out later on. PolarPro seem to have an excellent reputation so will probably give it a go.

Cheers, good to know. Posted on here for some honest feedback and advice, I find it quite hard to get unbiased reviews these days, with YouTube videos all being sponsored posts or people getting sent kit for free for good reviews.

Well, i've pre-ordered a set so will update this thread when they arrive :) Excited to upgrade my P3A as been using it since it was released, MA2 should be a nice upgrade.

Did freewell charge you shipping? They're charging me $20 for shipping

I ordered through Amazon uk for £44.99, which have free delivery, link below:
Polar Pro Mavic Air 2 2-5 stop VND filter

Was going to order through PolarPro direct for $39.99 but would have had to pay $25 delivery, plus any import fees so been more expensive. Plus returns if not up to scratch would be harder.

I ordered through Amazon uk for £44.99, which have free delivery, link below:
Polar Pro Mavic Air 2 2-5 stop VND filter

Was going to order through PolarPro direct for $39.99 but would have had to pay $25 delivery, plus any import fees so been more expensive. Plus returns if not up to scratch would be harder.

ahh not available for US yet on amazon. Theres free shipping on the polarpro site tho for US

It was a pre-order through amazon, don't think they're released unitl 15/6/2020, thats 6/15/2020 for you Americans ;)

I'm in UK and I ordered Freewell both ND sets and VND set from Amazon. And just go for the VND because it's the only thing you need.

Like Cyborg said, I never removed the VND since putting it on. To be 100% honest, I did remove it once and it was a huge mistake!

I had some "funny" chat with Freewell customer service on their VND, which one can find out from my post history but it was caused by my unscientific expectation. Just keep in mind, you can't do panorama shot with ND/PL or VND on.

I'm in UK and I ordered Freewell both ND sets and VND set from Amazon. And just go for the VND because it's the only thing you need.

Like Cyborg said, I never removed the VND since putting it on. To be 100% honest, I did remove it once and it was a huge mistake!

I had some "funny" chat with Freewell customer service on their VND, which one can find out from my post history but it was caused by my unscientific expectation. Just keep in mind, you can't do panorama shot with ND/PL or VND on.

Why was it a huge mistake removing it?

Why was it a huge mistake removing it?

It was in early morning golden hour but quite cloudy and I thought maybe even the lowest stop was too much, so I put back the original lens/cover and ended up with over exposure with my manual settings. :-(

It was in early morning golden hour but quite cloudy and I thought maybe even the lowest stop was too much, so I put back the original lens/cover and ended up with over exposure with my manual settings. :-(

Ahhh gotcha. So you recommend always leaving it on. I guess if its cloudy, just go to the lowest stop? and then maybe adjust the exposure in post?

Ahhh gotcha. So you recommend always leaving it on. I guess if its cloudy, just go to the lowest stop? and then maybe adjust the exposure in post?

The main reason I bought VND soon after investing the ND set was I don't like swapping the ND filters as the gimbal or the lens can be easily damaged or soiled during the swap. VND is a great help solving the risk as all you need to do is to twist the ring. And the Freewell VND 2-5 is good enough to most of my shootings. It does have a "zero" stop which I forgot at that day, but stop 2 was all good when I tried again with similar lighting.

Reactions: flyhigh2
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using the PolarPro variable ND filters on other drones?

I've been using a full set of Tapco ND's on my P3A for years which have been fine, just a faff to change (weather can be pretty changeable in the UK). I've got a MA2 on order and noticed that PolarPro have a variable filter available for pre-order: PolarPro variable ND filters

There are reviews of the Freewell variable filters on this forum and YouTube, but not many for PolarPro variable filters. Based on their reputation i'd expect them to be pretty good, just looking for any confirmation on quality, colour accuracy or X pattern etc of their variables available for other models.
I have a set of the PolarPro filters, I find them to be working out great. They were a bit nerve racking to put on at first, but I have gotten the process of changing them now down good. They are very light weight and do not seem to affect the gimbal capability at all.

I haven't removed the variable since the day I put it on so that says it all.
I also have the Freewell Variable ND Filters, although I only use the 0-5 (ND 0-2-4-8-16-32) one as I have never had to go above ND32.

I prefer not having to take off and put on filters as the light conditions change. A simple turn of the variable filter is simple, plus it is infinitely adjustable between f-stops.

I haven't noticed any aberrations in photo or video quality, at least not to my well aged eyes.

Reactions: pescobar61

I bought those and found out to my chagrin that I cannot use them (Polar Pro Variable ND Polarizers) for video if I change directions from the sun. I got big black spots on my image. Variable filters with polarization are only for still images. The variable ND filters without the polarization are ok for video, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
I bought those and found out too my chagrin that I cannot use them (Polar Pro Variable ND Polarizers) for video if I change directions from the sun. I got big black spots on my image. Variable filters with polarization are only for still images. The variable ND filters without the polarization are ok for video, as far as I can tell.

Yea, the polorisation effect when flying different lines is something i'm a little worried about having not used polarising filters before. All variable ND filters are essentially just two polarising layers of glass put together though. This site has a good description of how they work: Variable ND filters: How do they work?

Picking the right ND filter for the conditions easy once you get use to them, the main benefit as far seems to be the time you change having to change all the time. Worth it in my opinio , will have to seee how they work out!

Last edited:

why can you not do a panaramic shot ?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851