DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro variable ND filters

why can you not do a panaramic shot ?

Hi,

1471 described the issue clearly in his post above. When taking panoramic shot, the drone moves the camera to different angles and thus suffers from the polarisation effect. Please check my post Freewell VND Filters where a photo was provided. It's not Freewell's fault; it's just how all the VND filters work I believe.

The Neutral density filter is ok to do a pano shot but when you a pan shot with a POLARIZER the lighting and the rays of the light change 90 degrees away, so so you will get uneven lighting and dark areas . Polarizers are best for a static shot where the sun is at a 90 degree angle to darken the skin bluer and rude the reflections. For panos just use a regular ND filter.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I have the PolarPro variable 2-5 stop ND and it stays on my MA2 at all times...I didnt like the idea of changing the ND filter often. Works for me.

I have an Air 2 for a short time and should buy an ND filter. A week ago I bought the Freewell VND and returned it after a few tests. I didn't like it at all. It gave contrasting colors and some colors crushed other colors. Now I find myself having to buy something different, but even though I like the VND filter, I have a doubt. I don't know whether to buy a set of Freewell filters (normal without PL) or a PolarPro 2-5 stop VND. I have difficulty choosing. I thank you for your help.

I have an Air 2 for a short time and should buy an ND filter. A week ago I bought the Freewell VND and returned it after a few tests. I didn't like it at all. It gave contrasting colors and some colors crushed other colors. Now I find myself having to buy something different, but even though I like the VND filter, I have a doubt. I don't know whether to buy a set of Freewell filters (normal without PL) or a PolarPro 2-5 stop VND. I have difficulty choosing. I thank you for your help.
I have 6 filters- I only use the Polar Pro 16ND. Need seem to need the others. Was a waste of $ for me. I live in a sunny climate (Miami). It is either the 16ND or remove it for clouds or dusk, dawn, evenings

Hey, thank so much for your suggestion.But PolarPro doesn't build ND without PL for Air 2. Maybe do you have Mavic Pro? Have you ever used a VND filter? I don't know if you kake videos or photos. I make only 4K videos, no photos.

Hey, thank so much for your suggestion.But PolarPro doesn't build ND without PL for Air 2. Maybe do you have Mavic Pro? Have you ever used a VND filter? I don't know if you kake videos or photos. I make only 4K videos, no photos.
Sorry- I forgot to mention, I do have a Mavic 2 Pro. Have not looked at Polar Pro catalogue or on line for Mavic 2 Air ND filters. Nevertheless, my point is, I seem to be getting by with just the single ND16. You can check out my videos- the fND 16 is never taken off unless I am shooting in low light.
Dale Davis,M.D.. for viewing my videos.

I only make 4K videos and as soon as I can I will go to some remote areas of Africa. So both a fixed filter and a VND are fine. I have no experience with drones but I do video editing. I am undecided whether to buy a Polar Pro Mavic 2-5 stop VND filter or Freewell Standard Day - 4K Series. I hope you can give me the right advice.
I like the variable filter more because I often don't have the right time to change the filter. Do you believe that a VND is ok?
Even if people say that a VND is not a polarizer, it consists of 2 polarizers. ;) Do you think I will have problems with it? Many guys say it doesn't alter the colors.

EDIT: Dale, I will watch carefully your videos, even if they can't solve my doubt.

Last edited:
I only make 4K videos and as soon as I can I will go to some remote areas of Africa. So both a fixed filter and a VND are fine. I have no experience with drones but I do video editing. I am undecided whether to buy a Polar Pro Mavic 2-5 stop VND filter or Freewell Standard Day - 4K Series. I hope you can give me the right advice.
I like the variable filter more because I often don't have the right time to change the filter. Do you believe that a VND is ok?
Even if people say that a VND is not a polarizer, it consists of 2 polarizers. ;) Do you think I will have problems with it? Many guys say it doesn't alter the colors.

EDIT: Dale, I will watch carefully your videos, even if they can't solve my doubt.
Foxadriano:

These both combines drone and timelapse shots with the 16ND.
The filter was removed for low light or night shots. There is some motion blur in the traffic and boats.

Thanks your your video, but even if they are wonderful, they unfortunately don't clear my ideas.
I will be waiting for an answer from some guys who are using both, the VND and the ND (without PL).
I like to know if Polar Pro 2-5 stop VND filter gives saturated. If so, I'll buy a simple ND filter (without PL) but reluctantly.

Thanks your your video, but even if they are wonderful, they unfortunately don't clear my ideas.
I will be waiting for an answer from some guys who are using both, the VND and the ND (without PL).
I like to know if Polar Pro 2-5 stop VND filter gives saturated. If so, I'll buy a simple ND filter (without PL) but reluctantly.

Foxy:

I always look for the simplest of solutions. The one time I tried the polarizer I got dark splotches whenever the lighting was not perpendicular to the sun on my panorama. I would use a polarizer to reduce or eliminate water reflections, darken a blue sky or reflections from metallic objects if I am flying in a single direction. I try to avoid making a turn. The plain (no filter) cover lower left corner is a place-holder for the ND16 which is always on my gimbal. ND 8/PL stands for 8ND and polarizer, etc.

Here is what I keep in my bag. (scroll up and down for full view). Drone ND Filter Sets.jpg

You are a very kind and helpful person. I thank you, but unfortunately my ideas are still confused for some reasons. I don't live in Miami although I'd like to live there. ;) In my travels I always have several seasons. I shoot in Africa on red ground, or in the forest of South America (always humid), or on the mountains of Bolvia or Peru. So the PolarPro 2-5 stop VND filter would be the best option for me but .... I don't know if it saturates the colors. I returned the Freewell VND filter because it had a certain color cast and warmed the colors, but not in the right way. Watching some videos on the Internet I noticed that PolarPro VND look better than Freewell for my taste. For this reason I'd like to know from those who use PolarPro VND and also use an simple ND filter.

You are a very kind and helpful person. I thank you, but unfortunately my ideas are still confused for some reasons. I don't live in Miami although I'd like to live there. ;) In my travels I always have several seasons. I shoot in Africa on red ground, or in the forest of South America (always humid), or on the mountains of Bolvia or Peru. So the PolarPro 2-5 stop VND filter would be the best option for me but .... I don't know if it saturates the colors. I returned the Freewell VND filter because it had a certain color cast and warmed the colors, but not in the right way. Watching some videos on the Internet I noticed that PolarPro VND look better than Freewell for my taste. For this reason I'd like to know from those who use PolarPro VND and also use an simple ND filter.
I have never really worried about my Freewell VND filer (non-polarized) capturing with color casts.....I shoot in RAW and JPEG, so with the RAW file(s) I have complete control over the processed result(s).

Reactions: Thomas B
Thank you. Just trying to help you. I think, if I were in your shoes, that I would go ahead and buy a single varible ND filter 5-9, or higher, although I use 16ND and it does just fine in bright Miami lighting. I have traveled the world, including 12 African safaris (all South and East African countries, much of South America (Galapagpos, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Antarctica), all of Europe, and much of Asia (China x2, Thailand x 2, Viet Nam, Bhutan, Burma (Myanmar), etc. I have only had a drone for the past 3 years (I used it in Madagascar last year) and never felt the need to go higher than 16ND. Some of these people using 32ND, or 256 ND just bewilder me. I guess they are better photographers and they really are shooting for motion blur. If you look at the video I sent showing the Miami Bayfront or Fairchild Tropical Gardens, both were very bright Miami days. I wasted a lot of $$$ on those filters that I hardly ever use. I should have bought them one at a time, but I am looking through my retrospectoscope.

I do have a question for YOU. What is your opinion on booking a photography workshop in stills and drone flying to the Dolomites in September/October? I have been to Cortina d'Ampezzo skiing in the past. My question is about the possibilities that Italy will be open to tourism by then?

I needed your support. Thanks.
Man, you've traveled almost as much as I have. ;) So you should be old like me.
You like beautiful places if you went to Cortina d'Ampezzo. ahaahahah I hope, indeed I believe that you can go to the Dolomites in those months without too many problems. These days they had closed the ski slopes and a large part of the Dolomites, but already, they are slowly opening them to tourism. I repeat, I believe that there should be no problems if you moves carefully.

EDIT: Hey, I'm sorry, I look naive but could you explain what you mean by "5-9" about filter?
PolarPro 2-5 stop VND are 4-8-16-32

Last edited:
Yes you can.
This was a test to try out the 360 pan
I know it isn’t at all interesting, it was just a test.

Drag it around with your mouse.

Sorry so what is the conclusion here - can you take panos (wide, 180, 360) with VND attached or not? I like taking the odd pano. Returning to base and removing VND negates all the time saving of just using a normal ND and swapping based on light conditions?

Yes you can.
This was a test to try out the 360 pan
I know it isn’t at all interesting, it was just a test.

Drag it around with your mouse.

Sorry so what is the conclusion here - can you take panos (wide, 180, 360) with VND attached or not? I like taking the odd pano. Returning to base and removing VND negates all the time saving of just using a normal ND and swapping based on light conditions?

The Neutral density filter is ok to do a pano shot but when you a pan shot with a POLARIZER the lighting and the rays of the light change 90 degrees away, so so you will get uneven lighting and dark areas . Polarizers are best for a static shot where the sun is at a 90 degree angle to darken the skin bluer and rude the reflections. For panos just use a regular ND filter.
Sorry to be clear are you categorising the VND as a polariser in this context or do you mean a dedicated polariser filter. Still confused if you can take a pano with a VND or not as if not it seems a huge limitation

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus