DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll Should Hobbyists & Commercial Pilots Be permitted to fly over Crowds

Permitted to operate over crowds

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying over people has always been frowned upon with radio controlled aircraft. I think flying over crowds is not a good idea due to the density of people and the likelihood of someone being hit if the aircraft crashes. I think flying over people that are spread out is not as risky though.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I have posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.
View attachment 52533
If you look close at this dense crowd, you will have to agree that the Skulls make up only 15% of the possible targets for a falling drone. So, It is fair to say that even if you crash over a dense crowd, you have less than a 20% chance of hitting someone in the head. Maybe 50 / 50 of hiting a person at all.

If you lobbed a softball over that crowd, would you bet nobody would be hit in the head?

Had a bird turd hit me right on top of my head one time.
And I’m bald on top .
ms-HACtZx.gif

I would have to say in general, no. I think it would depend somewhat on the size of the drone. Things can happen to a drone that is beyond the PIC's control and a large drone falling could cause alot of harm. It would only take one incident and people would want to ban them everywhere. It's already hard enough to find a place to fly, at least around more populated areas....

I hate to say it but I think your "one incident" is 'lay down misere'. The odds are that some idiot (or not) will lose their drone over people and someone will be struck with half a brick. Kiss goodbye to amateur piloting when that happens.

If a certified 107 with proper training, experience, and Insurance I would be ok with it.I don't think kids with $100 drones and no respect, or even the outlaw pilots with DJI drones should ever be allowed to fly over crowds. I'm sure some ones gonna jump me about my response to buzzing Disney , be assured I would never try that, I was expressing an opinion:rolleyes:

So it's okay to kill someone as long as your insured?

I’ve been flying MP for 1.5 yrs successfully, meaning no personal injuries, and I personally don’t want to be the cause of someone ending up in the ER or some kid losing an eye or worse because of my drone falling, regardless of why, into a crowd. If I was in the crowd and Mr Drone himself with a $40K valued drone was over my head I would be moving elsewhere. Gravity happens all the time.

Wanna talk about gravity .Had a church want me to video a Easter egg hunt in front of the Church way back and wanted to be over the kids but knew better and is good I did .
Was flying this then ,almost 3lb New.jpg and was a way from where the children would have been waiting for them to come out in a hover at 240' right over my head. Heard it go silent and knew about what had happened and looked up as it came right by me and hit.
mia.jpg Now had I been over those kids bending over and that hit one on the back of the head
No Insurance ,part 107 or nothing could have fixed anything . So I do not fly over any groups of people.
The thought hit me then and never left just what could happen in a second .
Battery lead had come lose from main board . If it is man made and flys it can drop at any time .
Old thread but here it is Mia / RIP

Powered aircraft fly over people houses etc. They are required to maintain a safe altitude and most importly the aircraft are subject to regular maintenance and checks. The pilots are on board and can see out the window. So a drone which is registered and has a regular warrant of fitness inspection with dual systems for control could be safe at altitude over people. Clearly not low.

I have posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.
View attachment 52533
If you look close at this dense crowd, you will have to agree that the Skulls make up only 15% of the possible targets for a falling drone. So, It is fair to say that even if you crash over a dense crowd, you have less than a 20% chance of hitting someone in the head. Maybe 50 / 50 of hiting a person at all.
Unless you have forward motion In which case you will certainly hit someone. 20% is wrong.

If you lobbed a softball over that crowd, would you bet nobody would be hit in the head?

Softballs flying over crowds is quite common. Know of any death or dismemberment as a result of softballs and crowds?
Unless you have forward motion In which case you will certainly hit someone. 20% is wrong.

First, I voted NO flying over crowds,
Second, I only posted that when the issue was "falling from the sky" Not strafing a crowd.
I fully expected the "drones are dangerous" guys to object even though there is not even one SINGLE death by drone case in the whole world, or serious brain injury as a result of a DRONE hit.
So the whole Idea is sort of "chicken little" IMHO.

First, I voted NO flying over crowds,
Second, I only posted that when the issue was "falling from the sky" Not strafing a crowd.
I fully expected the "drones are dangerous" guys to object even though there is not even one SINGLE death by drone case in the whole world, or serious brain injury as a result of a DRONE hit.
So the whole Idea is sort of "chicken little" IMHO.

So let's hope your right.

The reasons are pretty obvious
I would disagree. Even though I dont ever fly over people, I would NOT call it obvious since it has been done, and, NOTHING has ever happened.
But you could be the guy that wears a suit of armor to a baseball game, because of the "Obvious" danger of being hit by a ball at 100MPH. (more dangerous than a drone falling)

I would disagree. Even though I dont ever fly over people, I would NOT call it obvious since it has been done, and, NOTHING has ever happened.
But you could be the guy that wears a suit of armor to a baseball game, because of the "Obvious" danger of being hit by a ball at 100MPH. (more dangerous than a drone falling)
You would disagree that flying over people could cause obvious harm and injury if something goes wrong? No wonder the regulations are so strict

You would disagree that flying over people could cause obvious harm and injury if something goes wrong? No wonder the regulations are so strict
I have to agree to the almost IMPOSSIBLE odds of it actually happening, but there is a chance i suppose. Maybe I should also get a suit of armor. Any suggestions?

You can't be serious? The ignorance is unreal
Maybe you can post some proof of it happening? A drone into a crowd. With SERIOUS injury.
I am not talking about FPV race drones, I am talking Mavics, Phantoms, and the like.
Otherwise, It seems you dont understand the full meaning or ignorance.
It seems more like you keep crying wolf in the hopes that SOME DAY you can claim "I told you so".

Maybe you can post some proof of it happening? A drone into a crowd. With SERIOUS injury.
I am not talking about FPV race drones, I am talking Mavics, Phantoms, and the like.
Otherwise, It seems you dont understand the full meaning or ignorance.
It seems more like you keep crying wolf in the hopes that SOME DAY you can claim "I told you so".
What's with all the pointing fingers? Are you trying to make this personal? Your ignorance is worse than a child's if you can't see the obvious reasons why you shouldn't fly over crowds of people. This shouldn't even be a discussion but rather common sense. Yeah I'd really like someone to be injured by a drone so I can say "I told you so"...... I mean really? Are you even reading what you're typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna