DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PRIVACY INVASION?

E90RAW

Reactions
Ok, I did it. I have to come clean. Last night I confirmed one of my kid's location with my drone. She told me she was going out, and I followed her. Well, not me, my drone. What I like to call "the extension of me. That toy that has it's own personality it seems. " Surprisingly very good detail. Anyway, I digress. At first it was innocent. I was already flying. I saw her ambulating down the road. I thought "hey self, it will be funny to follow her!" Then , next thing I know, I'm all in. Followed her to her friends house (she never told me she was going there). Then to another house, and then be popping around the neighborhood. The thing is, I don't "mistrust" my kid's. For the most part they are good kid's. And for the most part I don't have any concerns where they are off to. But, we track them on their cellphones, and now, A DRONE??!!
Its interesting what you see whilst flying. It's not that you are actively 'spying", but your up there, and you look around. People walking their dogs, cars rolling in and out of the neighborhood, joggers, et cetera. So, what is the limit. When does it become "spying". I have a feeling people without drones consider it spying, which in some regards it is. I didn't know drones had cameras until I purchased one. What do you think?

The Flying Camera is a HUGE concern for many in our society and rightfully so. If it's that easy for you to "track" your daughter it's also that easy for a bad player to do the same or worse.

i hope you have a good relationship with your daughter,because i get the feeling that if she found out you were following her with your drone things could go downhill fast,it might have started off as a bit of fun,but i doubt if she would see it that way

i hope you have a good relationship with your daughter,because i get the feeling that if she found out you were following her with your drone things could go downhill fast,it might have started off as a bit of fun,but i doubt if she would see it that way
Yep, if she's already withholding stuff from this guy then finding this out will shatter any remaining trust. sad

Ok folks... let's not get too rough here. It was a harmless event. Let's not read too much into it.

Ok folks... let's not get too rough here. It was a harmless event. Let's not read too much into it.
@BigAl07 i was not getting rough,just stating my opinion ,the OP did end his post with what do you think and that's what i thought ,i was not rude to him maybe he should not have posted about something so personal in the first place, i understand your reasons for your reaction, as you are trying to prevent this thread from getting out of hand ,which i respect

Yep, if she's already withholding stuff from this guy then finding this out will shatter any remaining trust. sad
But what do you think about the societal impact of the issue?

With all the dash cams, CCTV & the fact that almost everyone has a camera in a phone I don't think a few drones are worth worrying about.
I live in a small town but almost as soon as I leave my house I am on a private, council, or police security camera.
Big brother is watching. :eek:

With all the dash cams, CCTV & the fact that almost everyone has a camera in a phone I don't think a few drones are worth worrying about.
I live in a small town but almost as soon as I leave my house I am on a private, council, or police security camera.
Big brother is watching. :eek:

Have you considered wearing a wig, and perhaps a fake mustache?

I think there is a huge difference between a drone that is just flying by versus one that is following and mirroring your travel. One that was tracking me would completely freak me out.

Reactions: Gindra and E90RAW
When my kids were young my opinion was in certain areas they had no right to privacy.
There were no drones then and I doubt I would’ve followed them with a drone but all my PCs had monitoring software on them so I could make sure they weren’t getting themselves in danger.

It’s my opinion that my responsibilities as a father include keeping my kids out of danger, even if that means a partial loss of their privacy.

In the UK it's fairly straightforward as no flying over people, in builtup areas or outwith VLOS means no spying.
So true for the UK but then again you're the most photographed, videoed society in existence.. You literally can't move around any place in the UK without gazillions of camera's watching everything you do!! Spooky..

Reactions: E90RAW
This subject is near and dear to me. My daughter began driving at the age of 16 but there were well known and agreed upon conditions. She would be tracked until she turned 18 and the method of tracking was her iPhone and a tracking device/monitor installed by the insurance company and monitored by me (app) and the insurance company. Both devices left a very solid digital trail and it was truly not a matter of trust but enforcement. The tracking would end immediately if she so desired; all she had to do was return the keys. The upside, along with having to drive with me 50 hours (state requirement), no passengers under the age of 25 (state and daddy required) for the first year. Second year she could have passenger but not in front seat and NEVER boys (a teen male in the passenger seat increase the likelihood of a fatal accident by 67%). The tracking did have a bonus, her acceleration and braking speed were monitored closely by the insurance company and at the end of the first year they gave her a very nice Amazon Gift Card $100 for maintaining over 90% rating on her abilities. Tracking was not without issues however; planned events with Mom went off and Dad didn't know and suddenly she was someplace I was unaware of and panic jumps in.. but not once did she betray the rules of the road or agreement on the tracking and everyone made and effort to keep me posted on changes I didn't know about. End result personally was tracking your daughter/son sucks past the initial 12 months.. 18 was the agreed upon period and I can tell you it causes mirada of stress.. I cut the tracking on the phone the last few months of the last year. FREEDOM for her and me!!

This is worth listening too; what would it mean to have continuous aerial surveillance?

Reactions: E90RAW

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan