DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Professional investigator concludes - "what's the fuss about?"

Expensive, and not very effective it seems to me...

Unless you bought puts on DJI stock :)

Ah but you can't have it both ways. Either drone strikes are catastrophic and life threatening or they are not. Besides, we were talking about accidents. What if someone with some skill was aiming at the engine of a commercial airplane while it was landing? Heck, apparently they could take out a tire according to some on here. Strap a couple rods to the drone, any drone, the P3 is going for $400-500 last I checked. For a minute, you could buy a Solo for under $200 and a budget camera for $30. Fly it straight into the engine. Heck, if that isn't enough for you, strap some C4 to it. Since when are these guys strapped for cash?

How do you recon all those commercial single-engine aircraft flying people all over Alaska for hire, for example?

Based on what you say quoted above, are they in trouble with the FAA?
It's rated by passenger count. FAA makes a distinction based on that.

Damage or no damage seems a bit moot to me. The regulations are intended to eliminate the risk of collisions. Violate the regs and we are inviting the regulators to put us in smaller and smaller boxes. One rogue can destroy our limited freedom to fly.

Reactions: 787steve
Missing the point here.
Regulations are a result of actions. This plane encountered the drone well above the limited drone altitude. Being both a certified Sport Pilot and Remote Pilot, I find the current regs in FAR part 107, pretty reasonable and (can I say this about the FAA) logical. These "cowboys" that ignore the current regs will bring us done operators more crap restricticting on us drone operatores. I predict that we will be driven clear out of the sky.
By the way, flying Light Sport aircraft I would surely not want to encounter a drone the size of a shoe box.

Damage or no damage seems a bit moot to me. The regulations are intended to eliminate the risk of collisions. Violate the regs and we are inviting the regulators to put us in smaller and smaller boxes. One rogue can destroy our limited freedom to fly.

What regulation are you referring too?

Reactions: Brojon
Ugg... I hate to wade back into the morass of this thread as much of it has devolved into a melee of mud slinging, but some have seen fit to engage in thoughtful discourse, so I'll attempt to address those additional points.

You made some leaps of reasoning there that I don't think are justified. If engine damage results from 30% of bird strikes and you think that the rate for drone strikes would be much higher then that means, effectively, from a risk management perspective, that we treat the probability of damage as unity. You rather glossed over that.

Actually, I didn't gloss over it. You unified it for me through your amalgamation of my points but that's not exactly what I said. I noted that for a hard object going down the core, yes I would agree that the likelihood of causing significant damage is not 30%. As you note, likely 100%. But the core is not the entirety of the engine. Outside the core, I would suspect that a drone might cause anything from complete engine destruction to absolutely no damage at all. It is, as I noted, completely a matter of luck. I have seen small sparrows dent multiple blades after ingestion. I have also seen steel wrenches sucked in and spit out the back with little more than a paint scratch. I have seen two full grown bald eagles simultaneously sucked down a single engine and spit out the back with nothing more than blood spatter and feathers everywhere but nary a scratch on the entire engine. Anyway, the point is that taking a drone down the engine would hardly guarantee significant damage, let alone a catastrophic loss. Would I want to be on that plane? Heck no. But probabilities are not promises.

I'd also agree that glancing impacts are likely to cause minor damage. Impacts on radar domes, windshields, leading edges etc., while presenting a much smaller cross-section for impact, are going to cause significant damage.

This was my more relevant point, and you subsumed it into my other portion addressing an engine ingestion, which is not fair. Even in your conclusion above, you acknowledge that a strike may only be a glancing strike. I was suggesting that a much higher proportion of strikes would result in that, with or without minor damage, in accounting for what we know about bird strikes. Either way, I was pointing out that the assumption that a drone strike would result in significant damage is far from a given.

Again though, for the sake of discussion, I'll fully support the presumption that if a drone strikes a plane, it will cause major and/or catastrophic damage.

So you are relying on what you called the "astonishingly low" strike rate to achieve your "exceedingly low" risk.

Yes, that's precisely my point. Risk management is not about managing only the severity portion of the risk matrix but rather the probability portion as well. For those not familiar with this field, I will give you the risk matrix calculation that we're discussing. Red means bad and we must do all we can to minimize the risk to an acceptable level. Yellow means we should be cautious and potentially address such risks, and green means that we are likely willing to accept that risk. (It's far more complicated than that but without getting too far into the weeds here, I will put it forward under those principles.)

ProbabilityAndImpactMatrix.png

We can discuss where a drone strike on an aircraft would fall along the top line, from "extreme" to "moderate" (I'm not arguing that it would be "trivial"), but even if it falls on "extreme", it does not necessitate our highest priority. And still, I don't think there's much question, thus far, that the probability index falls on the "rare" portion of the matrix.

You also restricted the discussion to commercial airliners. What about general aviation? Do we ignore those less robust aircraft?

I wasn't ignoring general aviation in my discussion. And robustness has nothing to do with probability. It only has to do with severity. You can't lump those two principles together. And yes, to date, the low strike rate (or zero strike rate prior to less than two months ago) for all drones with all manned aircraft (not just in the US but in the world), commercial, general, military and everything combined (as well as with Mavics, Phantoms, Inspires, non-DJI drones, large UAVs, tiny toy drones combined), the millions of manned flight hours coupled with the millions of UAS flight hours, under a voluntary guideline, would suggest that the strike rate is vanishingly small.

The problem with using the low strike rate to date is that drone use is increasing non-linearly, and is nowhere near market saturation, which makes even extrapolation very problematic.

Well... this is where the real "meat" of the argument is. Does the increasing number of drones sharing the skies with the large number (and still increasing) of manned aircraft necessitate the taking of preemptive and severely restrictive action through regulation and law? You're suggesting (correct me if I'm wrong), that it is proper. Like some countries, we could ban them outright. Nicaragua, for example, entirely precludes their usage recreationally, and almost commercially as well. Almost no risk of a drone strike there, correct? But does that prevention of risk outweigh the loss of benefit to their economy, tourism, development, etc in the usage of drones? It's not my place to make that call. It's the people of Nicaragua's decision. (and I know that's not the reason why they've banned them)

On the other hand, does the exponentially increasing number of drones in the air mean that the strike rate will inevitably exceed some acceptable level of risk, if we don't restrict their usage in some manner? Or if it doesn't yet, when does it cross that line?

And from the point of view of intent, it has been pretty clear that the main risk is not "bad actors" trying to bring down aircraft, it is incompetent and reckless recreational pilots who either have no understanding of the risks or are looking for cool shots and just don't care.

I would argue that this is precisely the meaning of "bad actors" in this sense. I wasn't just speaking about terrorists using drones, but idiots using them with no sense of responsibility or maturity.

Yes - this is clearly a subject worthy of debate, and a question that needs to be asked. So what is your opinion or recommendation? Do you have one? How significant do you think the risk needs to be in order to be concerned about it? It's too easy just to critique others.

I'm not being critical of other people. I'm simply pointing to the weaknesses of their arguments (or at least the other side of things) and trying to address the true nature of the risk by evaluating the facts/data as we know it. Regulating (by law or by edict) by the seats of our pants or resting on emotional arguments or personal anecdotes does little to promote wise legislation and enforcement.

I think I've made my position pretty clear. To date, I do not feel that the risk posed by drones has justified the hysteria of the general populace, the media, policymakers, and regulators when addressing this topic. Way back when (if you're old enough to remember it), when the Internet was new, it was a thing to be feared. In its nascency, if the Internet had been so overly regulated and restricted, I'm not sure that we would be where we are today with its use. Do bad things happen on the Internet? Absolutely! Will they continue to happen? Sure. But we do not clamp down on the entirety of the field due to the existence of some actors using it for nefarious (and significantly damaging) purposes.

Currently, we already have in place laws that can deal with the idiots and ne'er-do-wells endangering civil aviation with their actions. You can already prosecute someone for endangering civil or military aviation, be it with a stinger missile, a Mavic, a rifle, a laser pointer, or even a baseball tossed up into the air in front of an aircraft. Heck you can't even go onto an airfield and physically touch an aircraft without permission and not go to jail.

Does this mean we should outlaw any baseball fields from occurring on property adjacent to an airfield? Does this mean we should prevent rifles being used on any property within a 5-mile radius of an airfield, by farmers, hunters, or anyone, merely because it would be equally dangerous if that a person took a rifle and shot at a passing aircraft? Should we place some sort of restrictive device on rifles (or laser pointers) that detects when you're within 5 miles of an airport and requires you to call ATC or seek the FAA's permission if you wish to pull the trigger? Does it mean we should prevent John Q. Public from even starting his Mavic's motors and flying over his roof and around his back yard because he lives within 4.8 miles of a major airport? Does it mean we should stop Amazon from flying drones to deliver a pizza or a package because they might conflict with civil aviation?

My position is this: I think that unless/until the incidents occurring between drones and manned aircraft change significantly, that we let the existing laws against "bad actors" enforce/police their behavior. I think that there is/will be technology to assist airfields in awareness of the UAS situation potentially impacting their operations (like we have for birds/wildlife) and reliance on those, along with the responsible behavior of hobbyist/commercial drone operators will minimize the risk to manned aviation without hamstringing an industry with exceptional potential to develop and enhance a nation's economy. I think we should act and put in place restrictions according to the real risks imposed by an activity, not the perceived risks. And yes, we can discuss what the real risks are (which we have been doing) and evolve our positions to match new information and data.

Last edited:
That's simply not true. Every day, birds impact dozens/hundreds of aircraft operating around the globe (depending on the time of year). 93% of those impacts are completely inconsequential, resulting in a brief look at the aircraft, and wiping the remains away from the plane (hopefully keeping them and reporting it to the FAA/ICAO), if that.

Aircraft are only grounded if the bird strike results in actual damage or is ingested into the engine and it must be boroscoped. Less than 7% of all strikes result in a negative effect on the flight in any manner (in the US). That percentage is even less outside the US, and is also growing smaller over the years (in the US and the world) as airplanes become more "resistant" to strikes and airlines replace their aging fleet of aircraft. Moreover, many of the strikes resulting in a "negative effect on flight" are the result of strikes with birds or flocks of birds/wildlife weighing more than 5 lbs. (far more than a Mavic at 1.62 lbs).

Depending on a number of factors, but mostly the location of the strike on the aircraft and the speed of the plane (E=1/2*m*v*v), a Mavic would likely cause no problem to a commercial airliner. Ingestion into the engine is a completely different thing, but even then, modern aircraft engines are certified to ingest 4 lb birds and continue operating to be shut down safely (8 lbs in newer aircraft). So it is very unlikely that a strike with a Mavic or a Phantom will ever bring down a plane.

Is it something that should be avoided/prevented? Absolutely. Is it something to panic about and blindly react due to fear of the unknown? No.

That's all true, but a lot of times bird strikes will happen at what we call "out stations", where there is no company employed mechanic. This means we have to call out a mechanic on call (who has up to an hour to report to the aircraft) to do the necessary damage inspection, and wipe the remains off the aircraft. Pilots aren't even allowed to pull out a towel and wipe it down. It has to remain untouched; only the mechanic can wipe it off. I've had flights delayed for hours, and a few even canceled, by waiting for a mechanic to come out, wipe off the guts, and then fill out the necessary paperwork to get us back in the air again.

It's rated by passenger count. FAA makes a distinction based on that.

They also have special regulations for commercial flying in Alaska by smaller Part 135 operators that are quite a bit more lenient than the rest of the states.

I dunno, gents.... I'm a major airline pilot, and to me, drones represent no more (and no less) of a threat than large birds. I've hit a large number of birds of all sizes in my 17,000 hours of piloting time. Some while flying small airplanes, some when flying large. Sure, it's not something that you *want* to do, and it will certainly scare a year or two off your life if it hits a windshield, but very rarely will a bird strike (or a drone strike) take down a plane. And yes, that's even if it goes through a jet engine when it's landing or even taking off! Aircraft must be certified to lose an engine prior to takeoff at what we call the V1 decision speed. Once you're at or faster than V1, you are going flying come hell or high water. If it happens prior to V1, we abort the takeoff.

My most recent bird event was taking a Mallard to the left front windshield at 250KIAS. Our true airspeed was about 265 knots. It sounded like a rifle shot in the flight deck. Didn't even crack the glass. We knew it was a drake mallard by the feathers stuck in various places.

I also sucked a sea gull once through the intake of a small turboprop. A turboprop is a jet engine that is used to swing a propeller. It made a nasty smell through the cabin, as we tap high pressure bleed air off the engine for air conditioning and pressurization, but other than that, the engine just made a hiccup noise, and digested that gull in far under a second. We didn't even lose enough torque to trip the auto ignition system, which is quite sensitive to uncommanded torque loss.

So if you want to break it down to categories... Are drone strikes:

1. Likely to cause an accident resulting in loss of life? IMO, no more so than birds, and they have to be ingested in quantity to really even be able to snuff a motor. Now I know you guys are gonna bring up "Miracle on the Hudson", but those guys flew through a large flock and put a bunch of birds through both engines at the same time. How likely are you to fly through a large flock of drones? Well, I'll let you answer that yourselves. :)

2. Likely to cause expensive damage to an aircraft? Absolutely. You can't scratch the paint of an aircraft without spending a thousand bucks to repair it.

You guys can beat this back and forth all you want, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep "wondering if I'm gonna hit a drone tomorrow" when I go to work.

Last edited:
Ugg... I hate to wade back into the morass of this thread as much of it has devolved into a melee of mud slinging, but some have seen fit to engage in thoughtful discourse, so I'll attempt to address those additional points.

Actually, I didn't gloss over it. You unified it for me through your amalgamation of my points but that's not exactly what I said. I noted that for a hard object going down the core, yes I would agree that the likelihood of causing significant damage is not 30%. As you note, likely 100%. But the core is not the entirety of the engine. Outside the core, I would suspect that a drone might cause anything from complete engine destruction to absolutely no damage at all. It is, as I noted, completely a matter of luck. I have seen small sparrows dent multiple blades after ingestion. I have also seen steel wrenches sucked in and spit out the back with little more than a paint scratch. I have seen two full grown bald eagles simultaneously sucked down a single engine and spit out the back with nothing more than blood spatter and feathers everywhere but nary a scratch on the entire engine. Anyway, the point is that taking a drone down the engine would hardly guarantee significant damage, let alone a catastrophic loss. Would I want to be on that plane? Heck no. But probabilities are not promises.

This was my more relevant point, and you subsumed it into my other portion addressing an engine ingestion, which is not fair. Even in your conclusion above, you acknowledge that a strike may only be a glancing strike. I was suggesting that a much higher proportion of strikes would result in that, with or without minor damage, in accounting for what we know about bird strikes. Either way, I was pointing out that the assumption that a drone strike would result in significant damage is far from a given.

Again though, for the sake of discussion, I'll fully support the presumption that if a drone strikes a plane, it will cause major and/or catastrophic damage.

Yes, that's precisely my point. Risk management is not about managing only the severity portion of the risk matrix but rather the probability portion as well. For those not familiar with this field, I will give you the risk matrix calculation that we're discussing. Red means bad and we must do all we can to minimize the risk to an acceptable level. Yellow means we should be cautious and potentially address such risks, and green means that we are likely willing to accept that risk. (It's far more complicated than that but without getting too far into the weeds here, I will put it forward under those principles.)

View attachment 23564

We can discuss where a drone strike on an aircraft would fall along the top line, from "extreme" to "moderate" (I'm not arguing that it would be "trivial"), but even if it falls on "extreme", it does not necessitate our highest priority. And still, I don't think there's much question, thus far, that the probability index falls on the "rare" portion of the matrix.

I wasn't ignoring general aviation in my discussion. And robustness has nothing to do with probability. It only has to do with severity. You can't lump those two principles together. And yes, to date, the low strike rate (or zero strike rate prior to less than two months ago) for all drones with all manned aircraft (not just in the US but in the world), commercial, general, military and everything combined (as well as with Mavics, Phantoms, Inspires, non-DJI drones, large UAVs, tiny toy drones combined), the millions of manned flight hours coupled with the millions of UAS flight hours, under a voluntary guideline, would suggest that the strike rate is vanishingly small.

Well... this is where the real "meat" of the argument is. Does the increasing number of drones sharing the skies with the large number (and still increasing) of manned aircraft necessitate the taking of preemptive and severely restrictive action through regulation and law? You're suggesting (correct me if I'm wrong), that it is proper. Like some countries, we could ban them outright. Nicaragua, for example, entirely precludes their usage recreationally, and almost commercially as well. Almost no risk of a drone strike there, correct? But does that prevention of risk outweigh the loss of benefit to their economy, tourism, development, etc in the usage of drones? It's not my place to make that call. It's the people of Nicaragua's decision. (and I know that's not the reason why they've banned them)

On the other hand, does the exponentially increasing number of drones in the air mean that the strike rate will inevitably exceed some acceptable level of risk, if we don't restrict their usage in some manner? Or if it doesn't yet, when does it cross that line?

I would argue that this is precisely the meaning of "bad actors" in this sense. I wasn't just speaking about terrorists using drones, but idiots using them with no sense of responsibility or maturity.

I'm not being critical of other people. I'm simply pointing to the weaknesses of their arguments (or at least the other side of things) and trying to address the true nature of the risk by evaluating the facts/data as we know it. Regulating (by law or by edict) by the seats of our pants or resting on emotional arguments or personal anecdotes does little to promote wise legislation and enforcement.

I think I've made my position pretty clear. To date, I do not feel that the risk posed by drones has justified the hysteria of the general populace, the media, policymakers, and regulators when addressing this topic. Way back when (if you're old enough to remember it), when the Internet was new, it was a thing to be feared. In its nascency, if the Internet had been so overly regulated and restricted, I'm not sure that we would be where we are today with its use. Do bad things happen on the Internet? Absolutely! Will they continue to happen? Sure. But we do not clamp down on the entirety of the field due to the existence of some actors using it for nefarious (and significantly damaging) purposes.

Currently, we already have in place laws that can deal with the idiots and ne'er-do-wells endangering civil aviation with their actions. You can already prosecute someone for endangering civil or military aviation, be it with a stinger missile, a Mavic, a rifle, a laser pointer, or even a baseball tossed up into the air in front of an aircraft. Heck you can't even go onto an airfield and physically touch an aircraft without permission and not go to jail.

Does this mean we should outlaw any baseball fields from occurring on property adjacent to an airfield? Does this mean we should prevent rifles being used on any property within a 5-mile radius of an airfield, by farmers, hunters, or anyone, merely because it would be equally dangerous if that a person took a rifle and shot at a passing aircraft? Should we place some sort of restrictive device on rifles (or laser pointers) that detects when you're within 5 miles of an airport and requires you to call ATC or seek the FAA's permission if you wish to pull the trigger? Does it mean we should prevent John Q. Public from even starting his Mavic's motors and flying over his roof and around his back yard because he lives within 4.8 miles of a major airport? Does it mean we should stop Amazon from flying drones to deliver a pizza or a package because they might conflict with civil aviation?

My position is this: I think that unless/until the incidents occurring between drones and manned aircraft change significantly, that we let the existing laws against "bad actors" enforce/police their behavior. I think that there is/will be technology to assist airfields in awareness of the UAS situation potentially impacting their operations (like we have for birds/wildlife) and reliance on those, along with the responsible behavior of hobbyist/commercial drone operators will minimize the risk to manned aviation without hamstringing an industry with exceptional potential to develop and enhance a nation's economy. I think we should act and put in place restrictions according to the real risks imposed by an activity, not the perceived risks. And yes, we can discuss what the real risks are (which we have been doing) and evolve our positions to match new information and data.

So are you married? Wow!

Reactions: Brojon

View attachment 23564

I could argue with a few of your detailed points but I agree with too much of what you said there to make it worthwhile.

With regard to the classic probability/consequence chart that you posted, I'll certainly concede that we are on the top line (rare) for now. But surely any reasonably conservative assessment of potential consequence here has to be major or extreme, leading to an overall risk level of medium, and the aviation industry does not ignore medium risks, even if there are other, higher risks to worry about.

I agree that existing rules are probably good enough, especially with the broad "endangering the NAS" clause in Part 101. I also agree that the use of technology to detect and warn about UAV operations in dangerous location, around airports for example, is almost a no brainer and I would expect anyone involved in aviation safety to support it. But that was the topic of this thread - a lot of ranting about the privacy implications of ones UAV being detectable and identifiable while flying where it shouldn't be flying and silly straw man arguments that drones are not 100% guaranteed to bring down aircraft. No one is arguing (I think) that public sentiment and press coverage is not, at times, innaccurate and overblown, but I felt that you muddied the water with an apparent ambivalence on the real subject at hand - are UAVs enough of a risk to aircraft to deserve attention and mitigation by whatever means available?

That's all true, but a lot of times bird strikes will happen at what we call "out stations", where there is no company employed mechanic. This means we have to call out a mechanic on call (who has up to an hour to report to the aircraft) to do the necessary damage inspection, and wipe the remains off the aircraft. Pilots aren't even allowed to pull out a towel and wipe it down. It has to remain untouched; only the mechanic can wipe it off. I've had flights delayed for hours, and a few even canceled, by waiting for a mechanic to come out, wipe off the guts, and then fill out the necessary paperwork to get us back in the air again.

They also have special regulations for commercial flying in Alaska by smaller Part 135 operators that are quite a bit more lenient than the rest of the states.

I dunno, gents.... I'm a major airline pilot, and to me, drones represent no more (and no less) of a threat than large birds. I've hit a large number of birds of all sizes in my 17,000 hours of piloting time. Some while flying small airplanes, some when flying large. Sure, it's not something that you *want* to do, and it will certainly scare a year or two off your life if it hits a windshield, but very rarely will a bird strike (or a drone strike) take down a plane. And yes, that's even if it goes through a jet engine when it's landing or even taking off! Aircraft must be certified to lose an engine prior to takeoff at what we call the V1 decision speed. Once you're at or faster than V1, you are going flying come **** or high water. If it happens prior to V1, we abort the takeoff.

My most recent bird event was taking a Mallard to the left front windshield at 250KIAS. Our true airspeed was about 265 knots. It sounded like a rifle shot in the flight deck. Didn't even crack the glass. We knew it was a drake mallard by the feathers stuck in various places.

I also sucked a sea gull once through the intake of a small turboprop. A turboprop is a jet engine that is used to swing a propeller. It made a nasty smell through the cabin, as we tap high pressure bleed air off the engine for air conditioning and pressurization, but other than that, the engine just made a hiccup noise, and digested that gull in far under a second. We didn't even lose enough torque to trip the auto ignition system, which is quite sensitive to uncommanded torque loss.

So if you want to break it down to categories... Are drone strikes:

1. Likely to cause an accident resulting in loss of life? IMO, no more so than birds, and they have to be ingested in quantity to really even be able to snuff a motor. Now I know you guys are gonna bring up "Miracle on the Hudson", but those guys flew through a large flock and put a bunch of birds through both engines at the same time. How likely are you to fly through a large flock of drones? Well, I'll let you answer that yourselves. :)

2. Likely to cause expensive damage to an aircraft? Absolutely. You can't scratch the paint of an aircraft without spending a thousand bucks to repair it.

You guys can beat this back and forth all you want, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep "wondering if I'm gonna hit a drone tomorrow" when I go to work.
How would you feel about the issue if you piloted a single engine military fighter in and out of an airbase on a daily bases surrounded by neighborhoods? A bit more serious risk than to a 4 engine airliner with absolutely enormous engines comparatively speaking. A flame-out at 400 ft during launch in a fighter is never going to end well. I've seen it happen, live in person, (Hill AFB, UT, During a Thunderbird performance. and the pilot did not survive. (Deceased pilot: Captain Nick Hauk)

How would you feel about the issue if you piloted a single engine military fighter in and out of an airbase on a daily bases surrounded by neighborhoods? A bit more serious risk than to a 4 engine airliner with absolutely enormous engines comparatively speaking. A flame-out at 400 ft during launch in a fighter is never going to end well. I've seen it happen, live in person, (Hill AFB, UT, During a Thunderbird performance. and the pilot did not survive. (Deceased pilot: Captain Nick Hauk)

So again, your one anecdotal example trumps his years of experience? What's worse is that, once again, your example has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. How in the world does an accident, that occurred in 1981, during a stunt flying performance, using an obsolete aircraft have anything to do with today's discussion? Yeesh! You know what? THANK YOU! Just the here fact that you have to reach that far back to find an example of any kind just helps to prove our point about the scarcity of incidents.

So again, your one anecdotal example trumps his years of experience? What's worse is that, once again, your example has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. How in the world does an accident, that occurred in 1981, during a stunt flying performance, using an obsolete aircraft have anything to do with today's discussion? Yeesh! You know what? THANK YOU! Just the here fact that you have to reach that far back to find an example of any kind just helps to prove our point about the scarcity of incidents.

That might be a good argument if the author of the article had actually cited any data or evidence himself, but he didn't. He claimed expertise and authority and then stated an unsupported opinion, without even an anecdote to back it up. I'm surprised that you have so much faith in his conclusion - one that he made absolutely no attempt to support - but then reject numerous factual accounts, and material science observations as anecdotal.

As for the post that you just questioned, the relevance was obvious: the danger of engine failure at a critical flight phase in a single-engined aircraft. When it happened was irrelevant to the argument, and doubly so since the point of this discussion was the potential for increasing the number of incidents that might cause such failure.

Absolutely incorrect on all counts.
Please bone up on risk mitigation.
Impossible to prevent anything with a regulation.

But surely any reasonably conservative assessment of potential consequence here has to be major or extreme, leading to an overall risk level of medium, and the aviation industry does not ignore medium risks, even if there are other, higher risks to worry about.

It's more refined than these "chunk"-sized columns, but even if we concede that the risk is overall "medium", as you point out the aviation industry shouldn't ignore it. But that's not the issue. The issue is what should the rest of the world do? Should aviators and airports take steps to mitigate the risks to their aircraft (such as detection technologies, flight protocols, observers, etc.)? Absolutely. Should the rest of the world enact restrictions to lower the level of risk to the aviation industry and yet stifle another? I'm not so sure.

I agree that existing rules are probably good enough, especially with the broad "endangering the NAS" clause in Part 101.

That's the real crux of the argument. The way the world is going is not circling the existing rules and laws against endangering aviation, but rather is zeroing in on an industry that thus far, has not shown itself to be a malignant force, and deeming it critical to mandate ever-tightening controls and restrictions on that industry without data or scientifically-based determinations/evidence demonstrating the need to curtail their behaviors. Based purely on supposition. As an aviation safety person, I'm fully ensconced in SMS (we won't elaborate on that), that dictates a proactive approach to safety, rather than a reactive approach. However, SMS is also a data-driven approach and constantly reevaluating risk management based on existing data. That's why I bristle at the speculation and worry focused on potential occurrences, rather than based on existing and definitive data in-hand.

But that was the topic of this thread - a lot of ranting about the privacy implications of ones UAV being detectable and identifiable while flying where it shouldn't be flying and silly straw man arguments that drones are not 100% guaranteed to bring down aircraft.

I hope I wasn't ranting about those types of things. I tried to stick to the facts and the true risks. But, I will point out, the issue of "bringing down an aircraft" is an important one, as it delineates the difference between a societal cost (loss of life, etc) in the case where an aircraft crashes, or simply the financial costs to an airline that incurs damage due to a strike. For the former, it is our duty and imperative as a society and nation to help prevent such occurrences from happening. For the latter, it really is the duty (or motivation) of the private sector, in particular the airlines and/or the airports, to mitigate those costs/risks. If there is a belief that a drone could bring down a commercial airliner, then I would argue that it is absolutely mandatory to impose controls in order to prevent such an incident. If the belief is that it is highly unlikely or extremely improbable, then there isn't much of a social requirement to prevent such occurrences (even if there is a financial cost).

No one is arguing (I think) that public sentiment and press coverage is not, at times, innaccurate and overblown, but I felt that you muddied the water with an apparent ambivalence on the real subject at hand - are UAVs enough of a risk to aircraft to deserve attention and mitigation by whatever means available?

By whatever means necessary? Absolutely not. As I have mentioned, "whatever means necessary" could be easily accomplished. Ban the use of drones and jail anyone utilizing/manufacturing them. Case closed. That solves the drone strike potential pretty much in one fell swoop (with some criminal outliers possible). But that would end up killing a market estimated to be worth $100 billion in the next few years.

Let's put it this way: should we impose terminal restrictions on the laser pointer industry because of their inherent risk to aircraft? I think we can all agree that they are certainly a danger to aviation and have had far more provable incidences of endangering aircraft in the past several years.

Not that it's even a 1$billion industry but imagine mandating that every user of every laser pointer in the US either gets a laser pointer license (from the FCC... after minimally one week of demanding courses/instruction and extensive examinations) or only uses it in the comfort of his/her home or only for "recreational" purposes in playing with their cat. No license, no use of a laser pointer if it is even remotely or tangentially related to earning money. Want to use one during a conference speech? Not without a license from the FCC. Want to use one to point out the locations of a house that you're inspecting to show someone where heat is escaping from the roof? Not a chance. At least not without the license from the FCC. And if that house was within 5 miles of an airport, you would have to contact the FCC and get their permission to use your laser pointer more than 90 days in advance. And you'd have to describe exactly how you were going to use your laser pointer. When and for how long, etc.

And for all other laser pointers, we're also going to mandate that they can't be turned on if they are located anywhere near an airport. Do you want to use a leveling laser while constructing your house 4 miles from the perimeter of JFK airport? No way. Even if it's inside and even if you acknowledge that you won't be using it for nefarious purposes. It won't even turn on. Wanna give a speech at a hotel conference center near the airport? Nope. Not gonna happen. The little GPS inside the laser pointer is going to communicate with the federal government or with a foreign company that manufactured it, and it's going to shut down on its own. It may even, in the future, report you to the authorities if you attempted to operate it.

As absurd as this scenario that I proffered would be, I would argue that there is little difference from what is happening today to the UAS industry. There are probably millions more laser pointers than drones out there in the world. They are also infinitely cheaper to acquire and operate. There have been dozens if not hundreds of verifiable and confirmed cases of "attacks" on aircraft by idiot users. Not so with the UAS industry. We could ban laser pointers as well, without a major hit to a significant sector of the economy. But we don't.

But put a spinning prop on that laser pointer and whoa... hold on there now. Suddenly we have to prohibit any functional or rational use of it no matter the cost.

Granted, this is "reductio ad absurdum" at its finest, but the overall point is what I'm trying to convey. If the data we have changes to reflect a different situation, then I would certainly change my position to support stronger mandates. Until then though, I do not believe that we should prevent something from happening "...by whatever means necessary".

Reactions: raymo and Phlier
That might be a good argument if the author of the article had actually cited any data or evidence himself, but he didn't. He claimed expertise and authority and then stated an unsupported opinion, without even an anecdote to back it up. I'm surprised that you have so much faith in his conclusion - one that he made absolutely no attempt to support - but then reject numerous factual accounts, and material science observations as anecdotal.

As for the post that you just questioned, the relevance was obvious: the danger of engine failure at a critical flight phase in a single-engined aircraft. When it happened was irrelevant to the argument, and doubly so since the point of this discussion was the potential for increasing the number of incidents that might cause such failure.

FOLLOW THE REPLY CHAIN! The guy I quoted, quoted the pilot with 17,000 flight hours and several bird strikes. His example did not occur because of a drone strike nor even supposedly impact of any kind. I believe it was ruled equipment failure. I refuse to believe that one of our fighter jets can be taken out by a single 1.5 lb drone. My job was to take out enemy aircraft. If I had known that some kid with $500 in his pocket could do it better...

He said "flame out". No cause was given so I think the only think we can take away is the assertion that a flame out at 400 ft is a bad thing.
I can buy into that but nothing to do with drones since that would involve an A thus B fallacy. Then we're back to risk mitigation.

He said "flame out". No cause was given so I think the only think we can take away is the assertion that a flame out at 400 ft is a bad thing.
I can buy into that but nothing to do with drones since that would involve an A thus B fallacy. Then we're back to risk mitigation.

Exactly, in that example all is proven is that aircraft shouldn't be used to entertain people performing aerial stunts. Hey using their one incident will ruin it for everyone theory, I'm assuming that the Thunderbirds no longer perform considering the fact that they've had several crashes... Say what? They still perform? But people have died... Money was lost... Property was damaged... Weird, I was put under the impression that just one aviation related incident would automatically put an end to any activity.

... I refuse to believe that one of our fighter jets can be taken out by a single 1.5 lb drone. My job was to take out enemy aircraft. If I had known that some kid with $500 in his pocket could do it better...
Well, there's that denial I was talking about earlier. I suppose your opinion carries more credence than the actual F-35 safety officer, in fact the entire Air Force obviously, who made it clear they are officially concerned enough to have briefings about it. But, I will defer to your expertise I suppose.

all right, here's a bit more current one if you must. Notice they said it could have been a bird strike.
High praises for Thunderbird pilot who landed F-16 before catastrophe
I'm flabbergasted that so many "experts" here can't/won't believe or admit that a drone is a risk to a jet engine. Unbelievable denial.

Last edited:
Well, there's that denial I was talking about earlier. I suppose your opinion carries more credence than the actual F-35 safety officer, in fact the entire Air Force obviously, who made it clear they are officially concerned enough to have briefings about it. But, I will defer to your expertise I suppose.

Okay, let me rephrase, I refuse to believe that it's a forgone conclusion that one of our $100,000,000 fighters can be so easily taken out by a $500 toy. It's that better? I'll say this again for the cheap seats because it's something I know a whole bunch about between my years in the military and my decades in construction. It a safety officer's job to exaggerate risk. That's how they justify their jobs! If they decided that all the necessary safety regs have already been written they'd be phased out. The worst thing that could ever happen to OSHA would be a few years without any on the job accidents. It's the same with your SO. If drones had never been invented, it would be swarms of bees, or helium balloons or kites, or anything to keep them relevant. I've sat through some truly ridiculous safety briefings in my careers and I bet you have to! If your main "evidence" is the chicken little rantings of an SO, absent of almost zero actual incidents. Well, that ice is very thin with me bro. My whole life had been actual risk management. I may not have a slide rule or whatever to prove my findings but after 35 years of jumping out of airplanes, growing up in East Detroit, working construction, servicing cell towers, two tours of combat, riding/racing a sport bike, flying an ultralight, etc,etc,etc I consider myself more of an expert than someone sitting in front of a computer screen.

Does your SO even know what a drone is? Are you sure he's not thinking about a Predator?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd