DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reading the new proposed rules

Montana John

Reactions
I have read of bit of the new regulations the FAA proposes, their rationale, and some of the very few comments FAA has received. (Deadline for comments is April 15). Check out Regulations.gov
I am a bit concerned, for example, about the rule 3 for flying over people. Acceptable impacts would be 25 ft/lbs. That's a hurter in my book.
This is our chance to give valuable input to people whom I bet have not flown drones and perhaps not even observed sUAVs in action.

Since he mentions its a "hurter" I would assume that his sentiment is that 25 pounds of pressure is too much. I believe that 25 pounds of pressure over a larger mass can be sustained its when you concentrate that 25 pounds of pressure over a smaller area when things become painful.

Since he mentions its a "hurter" I would assume that his sentiment is that 25 pounds of pressure is too much. I believe that 25 pounds of pressure over a larger mass can be sustained its when you concentrate that 25 pounds of pressure over a smaller area when things become painful.

These are units of energy - kinetic energy to be precise - not pressure. It's ft.lbs, not ft/lbs, or lbs/ft² which would be units of pressure.

1 ft.lb = 1.356 joules.

Well, what if someone dropped a 25 lb weight on your kid's head from a foot up? I think a risk limit of 5 ft/lbs might be OK. But that is what we need to give input about.

Right - but you are really ignoring significant caveats in the proposal. For largely unrestricted operation over people the proposed threshold is 11 ft.lbs. The 25 ft.lbs is for the highest category of risk, is not allowed over crowds, and can only be transit, not hovering, and can only involve people who have been notified of the operation. Your kid is probably not going to be there.

Just for comparison, the kinetic energy of a Mavic at terminal velocity (~ 20 m/s) is 130 ft.lbs.

So it comes down to (no irony intended) how much risk is acceptable in the developing world of UAV. The authors of these proposed regulations are clear that the future is wide open and unknown, and that the long term influence of whatever rules are adopted will be significant. We are once again going to face economic gain vs human welfare (and I am well aware that this an over simplification).

Well, what if someone dropped a 25 lb weight on your kid's head from a foot up? I think a risk limit of 5 ft/lbs might be OK. But that is what we need to give input about.
That's around 5 pounds more than the airsoft KE limit in sweeten, so it definitely won't kill or lacerate but it would sting, I was sad they didn't mention VLoS

Reactions: Grimrpr13
Glancing over the proposed regulations, what surprised me the most was that they were considering allowing flying over people, but not moving vehicles. I didn't have time to look into it further, but I wonder what their rationale is for prohibiting flight over moving vehicles?

Glancing over the proposed regulations, what surprised me the most was that they were considering allowing flying over people, but not moving vehicles. I didn't have time to look into it further, but I wonder what their rationale is for prohibiting flight over moving vehicles?

(B) PROHIBITION ON OPERATIONS OVER A MOVING VEHICLE
Part 107 currently prohibits the operation of a small UAS over a moving vehicle in the absence of a waiver. The FAA established this prohibition because the moving vehicle operating environment is dynamic, as the remote pilot in command cannot control it directly. In addition, the potential forces that would result when a small unmanned aircraft impacts a moving vehicle on a road pose unacceptable risks due to head-on closure speeds. For example, the impact kinetic energy of a small unmanned aircraft on a person who is moving at 40 miles per hour on a motorcycle would be much greater than on a person who is stationary. Impact with a small unmanned aircraft may also distract the driver of a moving vehicle and result in an accident.

The FAA is considering, however, allowing the operation of small UAS over moving vehicles in absence of a waiver. The agency seeks public comment on whether it should take this action, in this or a future rulemaking. The most useful comments on this issue will include data on whether operations over moving vehicles would either increase or decrease safety risks, including distracted driving or other hazards to traffic. The FAA encourages commenters to include information, with supporting data, on how to mitigate any risks they identify.

(B) PROHIBITION ON OPERATIONS OVER A MOVING VEHICLE
... In addition, the potential forces that would result when a small unmanned aircraft impacts a moving vehicle on a road pose unacceptable risks due to head-on closure speeds. For example, the impact kinetic energy of a small unmanned aircraft on a person who is moving at 40 miles per hour on a motorcycle would be much greater than on a person who is stationary.

Thanks, sar104.
This all assumes a case of a motorcycle rider, which makes sense, but for automobiles, where people are covered, aren't going to have this kind of problem.

Are they still accepting comments?

Thanks, sar104.
This all assumes a case of a motorcycle rider, which makes sense, but for automobiles, where people are covered, aren't going to have this kind of problem.

Are they still accepting comments?

Reading the entire section it suggests that they are concerned about all vehicles - partly because of the issue of distraction. And it would certainly be a distraction if a UAV came through your windshield at 60 mph.

Don’t hover over roadways, stadiums or fly near airport!

Enough said. If you can’t figure out safe flying stay in your backyard.

Reactions: Wyojet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acott