DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reckless drone flights posted on Facebook. Report?

I'm a private pilot,I didn't say anything about snitch,what I mean is every drone guy should police himself,fly smart and follow the rules,not get your 107,thinking your better than everyone else and wanting to report people

No one said about being better. If you are in a community that is dense with sUAS operators, Hobby, Certified or Uncertified we have had a lot of erroneous flights that we see on FB, youtube or wherever. They need to be educated. Its the educated, "I do what I want", ones that could be troublesome. :)

Reactions: Zeke
I took the OP as not looking for a reason to snitch, but genuinely asking if safety violations seen online should be reported. It's a legit question, especially for someone still figuring things out, and most of you jumped on him like high school bullies antagonizing the good kid in class. I get it may be a sore subject to others who've been reported, but you're reading too much into the OP's intentions. If he just wanted to bust people out he'd have done it already.

if that was the case why did he even bring up he just got his 107 ?

He explained that clearly in his post:

So I recently got my part 107 to offer professional photographery services for businesses. Being aware of these regulations....

Exactly, he said that the 107 process made him aware of all the online safety violations. Where someone interprets that as he wants to police everyone is beyond me. He wasn't even asking how to report them, he was asking if the community here does and if he should.

So I recently got my part 107 to offer professional photographery services for businesses. Being aware of these regulations I start to see all sorts of drone videos in my feed that include: aerial footage of a forest fire, a video labeled "here's *town name* from 1500 feet, and flights GPS tagged in protected wilderness areas. I barely know these people and believe they represent a threat towards legitimate pilots. Do I report them to the FAA? Has anyone on here ever made an FAA report based off of Facebook videos and photos? Should I just mind my own business? Input much appreciated.

This was typed from mobile, please excuse the brevity grammar.

Thanks!

As you put it in your own words,

Mind your own business.....

Reactions: rickw
By reporting we will all look bad! Let the authorities do their own job. I'd love to report every texting
idiot driving on my side of the road for wreckless driving but I don't. Get some perspective.

Reactions: JMF and rickw
So I recently got my part 107 to offer professional photographery services for businesses. Being aware of these regulations I start to see all sorts of drone videos in my feed that include: aerial footage of a forest fire, a video labeled "here's *town name* from 1500 feet, and flights GPS tagged in protected wilderness areas. I barely know these people and believe they represent a threat towards legitimate pilots. Do I report them to the FAA? Has anyone on here ever made an FAA report based off of Facebook videos and photos? Should I just mind my own business? Input much appreciated.

This was typed from mobile, please excuse the brevity grammar.

Thanks!
I have been 107 certified for over a year. I also have been reported to the FAA and local law enforcement numerous times. By people who flat out do not like drones and even a registered commercial pilot. And EVERY TIME I was NOT in the wrong. My point is that there are people who will report someone no matter what. Don't get involved unless it involves you.

RC toys are for fun. Hobby users will do just that. How other people use their toys is their business
that's why people buy them.
UNTIL a toy owner gets a fancy 107 ticket and achieves god level. Then you would think these toys turned into F18's flying all over the place. It doesn't surprise me that a couple 107 holders have been "reported" more than once. After they learn the rules, it gives reason to push those rules just to be able to say "yes I can" 107 is for people that want to make "hundreds" of dollars a year taking pictures from the sky. Otherwise there is no reason to get it. It is NOT for policing people and how they use their toys.

RC toys are for fun. Hobby users will do just that. How other people use their toys is their business
that's why people buy them.
UNTIL a toy owner gets a fancy 107 ticket and achieves god level. Then you would think these toys turned into F18's flying all over the place. It doesn't surprise me that a couple 107 holders have been "reported" more than once. After they learn the rules, it gives reason to push those rules just to be able to say "yes I can" 107 is for people that want to make "hundreds" of dollars a year taking pictures from the sky. Otherwise there is no reason to get it. It is NOT for policing people and how they use their toys.
There is no talking common sense to this post. These are not toys. They can be used for good and not so good things and can be dangerous. In saying that there is respect and knowledge needed anytime you leave your property to use them. You would never pass the 107 if that is how you interpret how and why the FAA screens people on how to use their Airspace. Attitude is part of that screening.

Reactions: Zeke
To the OP, this is your thread so I have a question: What SPECIFICALLY did you see in these videos that was “reckless”? Reckless in this context is a subjective term. What is your definition?

It is NOT for policing people and how they use their toys.

Amen!

As with any other FAA rating. Not to say one should ignore dangerous activity (if I saw someone flying a drone over a forest fire I'd report them in a New York minute) but in this day and age how far are you going to go with being a drone cop?

It's a good point.There are reckless drone videos everywhere ! You'd never have time to report them all :) I don't report them to governing bodies, but I do comment on their channels / videos with 'very robust criticism' of idiotic behaviour. Important for authorities to know that the UAV community does have some responsible pilots in it...
Yes, and if you do it in one of the many "drone" groups you are often ostracized by a moderator. When that happens.... Just go after the moderator!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green