DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations for LED Strobe

i spoke to our town local cop i personally know about it, other day, so he told me that they have instructions to confiscate the drone if they see one flying at night over town central streets. they obviously do not care much of what happens far away from there. but, what to do after that - i guess they can give it back after you spend enough time arguing with them later - find out for yourself if you need. i bet if one is looking for a trouble - one will find it.
My goodness. . .

If flying over streets (where people/traffic are active) that's the violation... day or night... You're mixing different regulations (incorrectly) to make a point.

You need to have another conversation with your "town local cop" and have him contact his LEAP representative for some guidance. Merely a hobbyist "flying at night" is not a violation of any of the FARs what so ever. Pass this email address along to your "town local cop" so they can get the needed guidance to be more knowledgeable about sUAS regulations: [email protected]
or try these methods: [email protected] or call us at 844-FLY-MY-UA

Don't take my word for it on this topic... reach out to your local FSDO and pose the same question... "Is it currently legal for a hobbyist to fly a drone at night if they are obeying all other laws & regulations? " Here's the direct # to your FSDO

(781) 238-7500

is there a current legal document where it is written with those words hobbyist, night, drone all used in the same sentence? you can present one in a printed format for your defense during a conflict with a LEO at the middle of the night? the best assumption one can have - that it is still in the 'open for an interpretation' phase for LEO - but, why to get into such situation?

There is not and there doesn't need to be. The FARs are written to address issues that need addressing. They also don't say, "It's ok to fly over clear/open spaces" but we know it's legal to do do. If something is restricted within the FARs it is clearly written as such.

and about 'overlooking' - really, it is a bit childish to presume that an absence of the specific sentence in the FAA document language will warrant your activity in the eyes of any judge, if it will make it to the court of law. the spirit of the regulation is very clear and it is as stated in the document link to which i provided. it is just what i think about this. not all that is not explicitly forbidden is actually allowed - it is just one of such cases.

The document you linked clearly stated Part 107 rules and we are clearly speaking HOBBY operations. You're again incorrectly mixing regulations and that's not how this works.

Reactions: Thomas B
Maybe post up some examples in a new thread Thomas ?
It'd be interesting to see some of your photos under spots lighting.

Personally I avoid taking (general) photos using a flash at all cost, rather use natural light and steady hand, hence wondering what sort of shots and effect yours might have.
Will do... still testing but very pleased so far.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I'm looking for some recommendations to increase the visibility of my Mavic 2 Pro at night. Anyone have something they can recommend?
Here are my favorite strobe lights:
These lights are small and can be attached using some kind of Velcro (like 3M Dual Lock). They can also be mounted on the Mavic 2 using mounts like these:

Firehouse ARC Mounts
1570576137359.png
1570576150501.png

Firehouse Dual Cree Mounts
1570576098354.png
1570576103582.png

Flytron STROBON Cree Mounts
1570576025574.png
1570576030381.png

[QUOTE = "paulatkin73, publicación: 839641, miembro: 85479"]
solo puedo preguntar: ¿por qué y cuándo necesitas volar en la oscuridad?
[/CITAR]
Hay un reflector para la luz que se sujeta con una goma, mira por internet, no recuerdo donde lo vi

Moderator Transltion below

[QUOTE = "paulatkin73, publication: 839641, member: 85479"]
I can only ask: why and when do you need to fly in the dark?
[/QUOTE]

There is a reflector for the light that is fastened with a rubber band, look online, I don't remember where I saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Canada for night flight,the following info is given.:
" If flying at night, drones must be equipped with proper lighting."
Clear as mud.Proper as in red,white and green as per full size aircraft? Cannot find ANY clarification....

Proper as in red,white and green as per full size aircraft?

Correct.
Thomas B's post #5 shows good placement with mounts on the arms of his M2P, front left red, front right green, 2 whites on back arms either side.

I am placing my FHT duals with velcro, on outer / upper landing arms on the front, same configuration.
On the back, just above a single rear light I will have either an FHT ARCII Red / White, or the FHT Spark strobe 5 led white (not to be confused with the DJI drone brand). Again, velcro mounted.

Mine is a MP, other Mavic variations may have other sensors etc to affect mounting, especially on the rear.

Correct.
Thomas B's post #5 shows good placement with mounts on the arms of his M2P, front left red, front right green, 2 whites on back arms either side.

I am placing my FHT duals with velcro, on outer / upper landing arms on the front, same configuration.
On the back, just above a single rear light I will have either an FHT ARCII Red / White, or the FHT Spark strobe 5 led white (not to be confused with the DJI drone brand). Again, velcro mounted.

Mine is a MP, other Mavic variations may have other sensors etc to affect mounting, especially on the rear.
Thank you!

Firehouse Strobes are pretty much the industry leader for recreational operations. There are some heavier/brighter and more expensive units for larger aircraft but for the bang Firehouse Strobes are pretty amazing. Here's a quick search that might help you some:

Don't get firehouse. They are junk. I have had so many go bad with very little use. Stick with strobon. I have some that I have been using for yers., Zero issues.

Geez, he just asked what Strobes to use, Maybe he has a night waiver, it's the easiest one to get. You need Strobes to fly in the 30 minute window of twilight that the FAA gives you before "official" night time, Maybe he wants to make the drone more visible durning the day, maybe he is flying off a boat outside the 12 mile limit of the USA. He didn't ask for the regulations, he asked which strobe light. So much word salad...

I have two Firehouse - one mounted on front arm and one on back. Great anti-collision and yes 3 mile viz at night. Must be careful turning them on or you'll nuke your night vision.

Reactions: TSUPD
Maybe post up some examples in a new thread Thomas ?
It'd be interesting to see some of your photos under spots lighting.

Personally I avoid taking (general) photos using a flash at all cost, rather use natural light and steady hand, hence wondering what sort of shots and effect yours might have.
And I wonder how having bright strobes, particularly on the legs in front of the camera, would affect video/photo shots.

What about the two bottom LEDs on the M2P for visibility?

And I wonder how having bright strobes, particularly on the legs in front of the camera, would affect video/photo shots.

@Thomas B has them set up and says no issues whatsoever with strobe light being visible, even at night.
I'll get pics this morning of where I've put mine with velvcro, forward red / green point slightly outwards on front legs just below motors, just to be sure.

I've just gone for one on the rear (white), M1P, just above rear status light.

Reactions: Thomas B and ajkm
Don't get firehouse. They are junk. I have had so many go bad with very little use. Stick with strobon. I have some that I have been using for yers., Zero issues.
1 year and no Firehouse ARC2 failures with flights of 3-4 batteries about every other day, and so much brighter that Strobon

Ok, had some fun this morning, posted up some other stuff here . . .

Just wanted to post here where / how my FHT Duals (red/green) are mounted on the front outer legs, and the rear ARCII red/white near the status light.

IMG_4647.jpg IMG_4648.jpg IMG_4649.jpg IMG_4650.jpg

This is BILs Air, with the Spark strobe fitted by velcro on the battery underneath.
It's very bright, doesn't strobe as fast as the Dual or ARCII.

IMG_4618.jpg

5. Fresh breeze at 29-38 kph (19-24 mph).

While you can fly at night as a hobbyist, without restrictions (as yet), even part 107 pilots can't without a special waiver.
FAA overlooked this, but pretty sure they will fix it very soon, and night flying will only be available to part 107 with waivers.

The FAA Never overlooked this because they know it can't be inforced. I will always fly at night when ever I feel like it because I know how to fly unlike some drone pilots.

The FAA Never overlooked this because they know it can't be inforced. I will always fly at night when ever I feel like it because I know how to fly unlike some drone pilots.

Not sure they can actually enforce many rules to be honest, all or our relative air authorities with drone legislation seem to rely on reactive enforcement, and even then it's rare people breaking rules get penalised (unless involved and identified being responsible for a REALLY bad incident).

Night flying is no different to flying over 400', flying dangerously too close to people, or outside VLOS, and pretty sure you also have no flying above cloud / fog etc.

All other countries with similar rules to the US (and we all seem to be bringing in the same / very similar rules, at the same time) and pretty much ALL other countries with similar rules have a 'no flying at night' rule, apart from the US.

I can't see any possible reason (or the common sense behind), a trained, licenced drone pilot would have less restrictions in that area, than someone who's just come out of a drone shop (or had an internet delivery) and taking their drone up in a pitch black sky.

In general, night flying has one purpose, to get those beautiful city scapes lights in photos, and to a lesser extend video, though moving around at night is possibly many times more dangerous than a static photo shoot straight up and down from a safe point.

I agree, some will find night flying easier than others, personally, if you have something to orientate yourself on, and let's face it you aren't going to be flying at night without something to focus on, then with the maps and home locations on screen, and the altitude / distance readouts etc, you can get used to flying without too much trouble.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams