DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restarting the Mavic Mini 2 Mid-Air after CSC

yes it is possible ,but unless you really want to find out the hard way ,then there is no guarantee that it would end well

correct

So it’s not a guarantee you are saying?
Depending upon the elevation from which you engage the Emergency Shutoff, you might not be able to restart it in time to prevent the crash into the ground from the free fall.

Depending upon the elevation from which you engage the Emergency Shutoff, you might not be able to restart it in time to prevent the crash into the ground from the free fall.
I was thinking just from up high to get down quickly. I saw someone do it with a pro on YouTube not with a mini 1 or 2 though.

i did not say it would not be possible to restart the motors ,apart from the time element as described above ,there is also the fact that the position the drone was falling in at the moment a restart was attempted would also have a bearing on the restart procedure ,if you are in a position ,to not be worried about smashing up your drone ,then go for it

The problem lies in whether or not the drone tumbles in the free fall.
If it tumbles then there is a chance it may exceed the angles of tilt within which the drone will permit the motors to restart. So, if you are going to try it, be sure to start HIGH up over somewhere empty of people, property and animals.
Switch the CSC response mode to "anytime". Switch the flight mode cine (slowest flight speeds and lowest angles of tilt before the motors stop etc.) and put the sticks in the CSC position and hold them there. The motors will stop within either 0.7 or 1.7 seconds.
As soon and they stop release the sticks and let them centre.

Look at the screen to see if the drone is tumbling or apparently falling in a flat spin.
If it is tumbling then put the sticks into the CSC position and probably hold them there. If the screen shows the drone stop tumbling release the CSC position IMMEDIATELY and give the drone full throttle. If the drone continues to tumble then I do not know if it is better to try releasing the sticks and then put them back into the CSC position or just hold them in the CSC position and pray.

To some extent you can test what will happen by HOLDING the drone in your hand WITH A FIRM GRASP and wobble the drone to near 90 deg tilts WHILST holding the sticks in the CSC position. MAKE SURE you fingers, wrist and face will not be hit by the props. If the motors restart the drone will fight you, be prepared for this. You would do best to stop wobbling your hand, release the sticks and then hold the throttle closed, that should stop the motors after a second or so, if it doesn't then tilt the drone to 90deg or so. DO NOT release your grasp of the drone UNTIL the motors have stopped, there is no telling where it might go to if you release you grasp with the motors fighting you.

If the screen shows the drone to be falling level or in a flat spin then you are likely to be in a better position but restart the motors with the CSC position fairly quickly, the free fall speed is likely to be quite fast. If the drone was falling in a flat spin then a motor restart will stop the spin, release the sticks as soon as you see that happen and then give the drone full throttle.

The reason I suggest full throttle after a restart is because the motors may restart at idle and idle will not halt the fall. I had this happen with a Phantom 3 and it took me a second or so to realise what had happened. Incidentally the freefall speed of my phantom was, from memory, between 14m/s and 16m/s. I suspect the Mini 2 is more intelligent than the Phantom 3 and may automatically throttle up but if it doesn't you need to know what to do.
If the Mini 2 simply falls level I do not know how you will tell if and when the motors restart, you are on your own there.

Assuming you get a successful restart and regain control I would switch the CSC response back to "Emergency Only" or "Breakdown" ASAP, it is ALL TOO EASY to trigger and motor stop in "Anytime".

If you try this PLEASE post the flight log irrespective of the out come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Ah I see. Ok
You can practice this at your dinning room table so you truly understand the concept and how to do it in an Emergency situation . The key is to keep the stick in the Start Motor Position at all times. Not to go in and out but to leave them in place so when the Drone hits the angle it will start, If it does not hit the Proper angle the drone simply will not restart.

You can test this with all the DJI drones safely.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the Water

See VIDEO here:

Clarity: you have to release the Sticks once you stop the motors and than place them in the starting position again , just to clarify that.

Last edited:
The problem lies in whether or not the drone tumbles in the free fall. If it tumbles then there is a chance it may exceed the angles of tilt within which the drone will permit the motors to restart. So if you are going to try it be sure to start HIGH up over somewhere empty of people, property and animals. Switch the response mode to "anytime", switch to cine mode (slowest flight speeds etc.) and put the sticks in the CSC position and hold them there. The motors will stop within either 0.7 or 1.7 seconds.
As soon and they stop release the sticks and let the centre.
Look at the screen to see if the drone is tumbling or apparently falling in a flat spin. If it is tumbling then put the sticks into the CSC position and probably hold them there. If the screen shows the drone stop tumbling release the CSC position immediately and give the drone full throttle. If the drone continues to tumble then I do not know if it is better to try releasing the sticks and then put them back into the CSC position or just hold them in the CSC position and pray.
If the screen shows the drone to be falling level or in a flat spin then you are likely to be in a better position but restart the motors with the CSC position fairly quickly, the free fall speed is likely to be quite fast. If the drone was falling in a flat spin then a motor restart will stop the spin, release the sticks as soon as you see that happen and give the drone full throttle.
The reason I suggest full throttle after a restart is because the motors may restart at idle and idle will not halt the fall. I had this happen with a Phantom 3 and it took me a second or so to realise what had happened. I suspect the Mini 2 is more intelligent than the Phantom 3 and may automatically throttle up but if it doesn't you need to know what to do.
If the Mini 2 simply fall level I do not know how you will tell if and when the motors restart, you are on your own there.
Assuming you get a successful restart and regain control I would switch the CSC response back to "Emergency Only" or "Breakdown" ASAP, it is ALL TOO EASY to trigger and motor stop in "Anytime".

If you try this PLEASE post the flight log irrespective of the out come.
Thank you for your response and deep thoughts on the matter. I will give it a try and video and all. I live up in hills so if anything goes wrong I won’t have to worry about hitting anything but just loosing the drone. I’ll go from about max height. I’ll keep things updated!

You can practice this at your dinning room table so you truly understand the concept and how to do it in an Emergency situation . The key is to keep the stick in the Start Motor Position at all times. Not to go in and out but to leave them in place so when the Drone hits the angle it will start, If it does not hit the Proper angle the drone simply will not restart.

You can test this with all the DJI drones safely.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the Water

See VIDEO here:
Good to know I will need practice before attempt. Thanks

So In that video I see that it has to hit that angle durning the fall to restart and have the motors on again. So I must constantly have the sticks in that position hoping it hits that angle and if not I’m sol! But we will see it should be exhilarating like a mission impossible scene.

So In that video I see that it has to hit that angle durning the fall to restart and have the motors on again. So I must constantly have the sticks in that position hoping it hits that angle and if not I’m sol! But we will see it should be exhilarating like a mission impossible scene.
Thus the higher you fall from the greater chance to hit the angle. I think you will be ok now that you know how it works and the where to keep the sticks. have fun with your first of many missions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on the Water.

Thus the higher you fall from the greater chance to hit the angle. I think you will be ok now that you know how it works and the where to keep the sticks. have fun with your first of many missions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on the Water.
Exactly, In some other videos I’ve seen with mavic pro somehow it falls flat and somewhat controlled somehow. I’m hoping it falls like that and not tumble horrible. I’m gonna test it come morning tmrw and I’m excited but yet scared! I’ll let you know how it goes when I do.

Exactly, In some other videos I’ve seen with mavic pro somehow it falls flat and somewhat controlled somehow. I’m hoping it falls like that and not tumble horrible. I’m gonna test it come morning tmrw and I’m excited but yet scared! I’ll let you know how it goes when I do.
If you looking for the adrenaline rush , you might consider storm chasing, something we do and the rewards are some amazing Pictures. Your reward is going to be not having to buy a new drone. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: db4476
Sorry I DISAGREE with Phantomrain on one point.
I have forgotten the details of my hand held experiments but I am left with the impression that the motor starting CSC MUST be a separate CSC from the motor stopping CSC i.e. there MUST be a sticks-NOT-IN-THE-CSC-position interval between stopping the motors and attempting to restart them.

I would suggest you check this with your own hand held experiment BEFORE you try it for real, it's not an area for doubt.

Other than that, Phantomrain is probably correct in that the restarting CSC should be held continuously until a motor restart occurs (in the hope that the drone passes through an area of acceptable tilt). Again you can test this with hand held, wobbling-the-drone experiments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas