DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Roofer Looking for His First Drone

txaggie929

Reactions
Hey everyone,

I'm primarily a residential roofer looking to purchase a drone for inspecting roofs for hail damage here in N. Texas. We have a lot of 2 story and very steep roofs, and it's too time consuming and frankly dangerous to get on these things when somebody just wants them inspected to see if they might have damage.

I have researched and read till my eyes are about to bleed, but still haven't found solid info for one way or the other on the Mavic 2 Pro or the Zoom. Hail damage can be as small as 1/2" in diameter mark on a shingle, and of course can be much larger if hit by baseball sized hail.

I'm a buy once, cry once person. I'm thinking the zoom is the better option since I am primarily observing in the field. Not going to be going back and uploading and editing video.

Sway me one way or the other, please! Thanks!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Of the two choices, I would pick the zoom. That would allow you to get a closer look without needing to get physically closer.

Reactions: Bobvt and Jeff A
I had to have the Pro because I'm a photographer, but if I was primarily doing what you're doing, I would definitely get the zoom.

Non-zooms are super wide-angle, all of them. That means that to get bigger detail on your screen, you need to get the camera closer. That could mean lowering the craft out of sight, especially on a flat roof, which would make me nervous.

I once did roof inspection for a friend using my old Phantom 3 Pro and it was a hairy experience because, while it does have GPS lock, it does not have obstacle avoidance. It was a 3 story house with a flat roof and I just couldn't get close enough with comfort.

If you use the Mavic Zoom in Tripod mode, it will not only use all 6 directions of obstacle avoidance (the side sensors do not operate outside of Tripod mode), but it will also keep your movements slow and less reactive (safer).

Btw: you say you won't edit video, but you might use it or photos to digital zoom in on a large computer screen. Or download it to a tablet to play back for a client. So recording could be useful, even if you don't make fancy videos.

Chris'

@txaggie929
You my want to check out the sister forum CommercialDronePilots - there is a whole section on using a drone for construction and roof inspections --------------------->> THIS IS THE LINK

That could mean lowering the craft out of sight, especially on a flat roof, which would make me nervous.

I once did roof inspection for a friend using my old Phantom 3 Pro and it was a hairy experience because, while it does have GPS lock, it does not have obstacle avoidance. It was a 3 story house with a flat roof and I just couldn't get close enough with comfort.

If you use the Mavic Zoom in Tripod mode, it will not only use all 6 directions of obstacle avoidance (the side sensors do not operate outside of Tripod mode), but it will also keep your movements slow and less reactive (safer).

Chris'

Yes, losing sight is a reality, with all the peaks and valleys that some of these roofs have. Obstacle avoidance is a must with trees and power lines around alot of these roofs as well.

I provide roof inspection images for adjusters and inspectors. Yes, it keeps them off a dangerous roof and eliminates risk and liability for adjuster/inspector. They can view the images from the comfort and safety of their office..

I fly either a Typhoon H+ or Mavic 2 Pro. Both have 1” sensor cameras and provide pinch-zoom images of sufficient resolution to determine damage:

3CB9F571-564F-4837-A560-252EEB0DE7D3.jpeg DBB5550C-764B-47A9-89AA-5FAA0CDB0F48.jpeg

(These images are very low res exports for this post. Full size images have much more detail)

Just buying a drone is a very, very small part of it. You’ll need to learn how to fly it and fly it well. You’ll need a license and insurance. You’ll need airspace permission for a majority of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Don’t try operating a drone for your business without all of these things. If the FAA comes down on you or an accident happens you could lose your business.....heck, if someone complains about a drone (happens ALOT) causing the authorities to visit.....it happens to me once or twice a week. Of course, I have all my paperwork in order so they leave me alone after checking it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one

I'd also recommend the M2Z, and this advice above regarding tripod mode ^^^

You also get a much better view going slow like that.

Get a viewing device with as larger screen as you can handle, and find a mount for.
The larger screen view will help you pick up finer damage.
Maybe the larger Crystal Sky monitor 7.85" @ 2048x1536 resolution.
These are extra bright for viewing outdoors, walking around the homes like you'll be doing a lot.

A couple of final things to consider.
As you'll be using it for commercial purposes, you should (legally required to) get Part 107 qualified.
You will likely have to upgrade your public liability insurance to cover the drone ops, protection against potential damage to property and bodily injury etc.
(I see Fred above covered this in his post.)

Hey everyone,

I'm primarily a residential roofer looking to purchase a drone for inspecting roofs for hail damage here in N. Texas. We have a lot of 2 story and very steep roofs, and it's too time consuming and frankly dangerous to get on these things when somebody just wants them inspected to see if they might have damage.

I have researched and read till my eyes are about to bleed, but still haven't found solid info for one way or the other on the Mavic 2 Pro or the Zoom. Hail damage can be as small as 1/2" in diameter mark on a shingle, and of course can be much larger if hit by baseball sized hail.

I'm a buy once, cry once person. I'm thinking the zoom is the better option since I am primarily observing in the field. Not going to be going back and uploading and editing video.

As an insurance adjuster, I and my colleagues don't think a drone will be able to see and count hail strikes. Wind damage, yes, but hail strikes no.

If you want a drone anyway, your roofing business might be a good way to write it off.

Insurance companies regularly accept photos from m2p.
There is plenty of detail.

Whatever drone you get, check out DroneDeploy.com and their Roof Reports add-on feature. A Mavic Pro or 2 works fine with it.

For $25 to $100 they pull the roof out of the map and 3d moel and make a full report, plus the roof's provided as a 3D model you can take to AutoCAD.

I handed them to the guys who came to bid our roof job and they appreciated it. None of them wanted to avoid getting on the roof to feel it under their feet and prod around the skylights and problem areas. But they all saw that the measurements were accurate enough so their roof inspection went a lot quicker.

If you've got a thermal sensor it can show other problems...

I suppose I’ll get the question out there. Are you Part 107? If not, that’s the 1st thing you should do. I generally fly the Mavic 2 Pro for inspection work, especially when it’s necessary to lose vlos while doing roof inspections. Steady and slow flying is a must. I can usually get within 1 to 2 feet from what I’m trying to photograph.

I occasionally use one of the Phantom 4 pro’s when I know I’ll not lose line of sight. I like the close up details a bit more with the Phantom. I suppose it comes down to personal preference. The Zoom is nice to have for those times when close up access is critical but to me it’s more suited for videos. Just my opinion.

Hey everyone,

I'd go with the M2Z and the smart controller. The zoom because you can get closer without flying so close, and the smart controller for convenience. You can be up in the air very quickly and the bright screen is easy to view outside anytime. When you find a spot of interest, simply press the photo button and take a picture. I'm sure you already know that if you're using it for business purposes, you need to get your part 107 license. However I may be a little bias, because I have the M2Z with smart controller and love it :)

Reactions: Gindra
I happen to have had to put a new roof on our home and I do have a MPZ, you don't have to get down into a danger zone to get clear crisp pictures with the Zoom, I filmed the whole process of the installation as clear and crisp as you would ever need, I don't know why an insurance company wouldn't except a photo just because it was from a drone? If you've not flown a drone before I would also suggest practicing before you go on the road, get familur with the controls.

Thanks everyone for the input. I’m aware of the 107 and other requirements. I also know it’s def a must to learn and be proficient in operating it. Will def be doing some practicing on my home first.
Since I don’t have the skill level some of you do, the zoom still seems to be the better option so that I don’t necessarily have to get super close to a roof and possibly crash.

I'm sure you probably do have the skill level to be able to do what your wanting to achieve, I'm 79 years old, your never too old to keep learning, I hope! You will like the ZOOM feature.

Reactions: txaggie929
I'd go with the M2Z and the smart controller. The zoom because you can get closer without flying so close, and the smart controller for convenience. You can be up in the air very quickly and the bright screen is easy to view outside anytime. When you find a spot of interest, simply press the photo button and take a picture. I'm sure you already know that if you're using it for business purposes, you need to get your part 107 license. However I may be a little bias, because I have the M2Z with smart controller and love it :)

I'm def getting the smart controller

I like the XIRO XPLORER V as well. I am a roofing contractor and I use it often. The other day I was at a home finishing a roof repair, and got called from a neighbor a few streets down, and pulled it out and inspected it quickly. We were able to give her an estimate that day.
btw, I’ve been searching on the net for the best drone for roof inspection, and I’ve recently found a very helpful article about choosing a drone here: Best Drones For Roof Inspections

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos