DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Severe drone registration restrictions for foreigners in Canada

RedBaron2

Reactions
Just learned today that Canada requires registration of drones in excess of ???grams. However, Canada will not register drones for foreign nationals (US citizens) unless they pass a special class and pass a flight review test by a qualified Canadian national company. Quite a surprise to me. Failure to comply would be another (financial) surprise.

• Wow
Reactions: Chaplain Cody
Just learned today that Canada requires registration of drones in excess of ???grams. However, Canada will not register drones for foreign nationals (US citizens) unless they pass a special class and pass a flight review test by a qualified Canadian national company. Quite a surprise to me. Failure to comply would be another (financial) surprise.
Sadly, I had researched this a couple of months ago and found the same. I am currently on a cruise ship which will visit St John's New Brunswick tomorrow with a tour to Hopewell rocks which is very Scenic and I visited many years ago. Did not even bring my mavic 2 pro. The next day we are going to Halifax and I was hoping to use the drone at Peggy's Cove but the same restrictions, potentially a $10,000 fine, made it unrealistic even bring the drone.

I should add, that I have been a certified part 107 pilot for 4 years. At this point I am not even purchasing another drone to replace the mavic 2 Pro which is perfectly functional. The reason for this is simply is getting more and more difficult to find places to fly.

Reactions: Will_UK

I’m a Canadian currently travelling in Washington DC, New York, and, Boston. I have a Canadian basic drone pilots license, a sub 250g drone, an American TRUST certificate for drone flying. Here (see below) is the answer I received regarding flying as a foreigner in the US. I did say, I was willing to take the 107 certification. I also asked if my Canadian certification was recognized. My questions were directed to the Altitude University where I was interested in doing the Part 107 certification.

I’m not sure of the fines down here, but, I’m not about to find out. The funny thing is I was in our Canadian Atlantic provinces this last June and gathered many beautiful aerial shots of the areas you're going to visit. Sadly, these areas have taken quite a beating from one of the worst storms in history…you couldn’t get air if you tried.
I’m going to pursue getting the US Part 107 if possible just for the sake of covering all basis. I’ll even register my Mini 3 Pro. Then on to get my European certification. One part of qualifying to register, is I’m older than 16😂.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation. 👍

Hello, everyone who is 16 years old or older can take the test. Unfortunately, the US doesn't recognize pilot certificates from other countries.

If you are looking to fly just for fun, you can register your drone with the FAA ($5) and fly with your TRUST. If you plan to do anything that might bring a profit (that includes posting the videos you shoot on YouTube) you will need to get the Part 107 first.

If you plan to do anything that might bring a profit (that includes posting the videos you shoot on YouTube) you will need to get the Part 107 first.
I would think that part of the statement is untrue. The FAA has no authority to fine anyone in Canada and since we do things differently here you can post any photos or video for profit once your back in Canada.

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
It is important to note that aircraft under 250grams can largely be flown without restriction in Canada. 98% of my urban flying is done with my mini2 as there are only two sites I can fly my P4pro and once those are built it will likely be retired as I dont do a lot of rural flying.

Sadly, I had researched this a couple of months ago and found the same. I am currently on a cruise ship which will visit St John's New Brunswick tomorrow with a tour to Hopewell rocks which is very Scenic and I visited many years ago. Did not even bring my mavic 2 pro. The next day we are going to Halifax and I was hoping to use the drone at Peggy's Cove but the same restrictions, potentially a $10,000 fine, made it unrealistic even bring the drone.

I should add, that I have been a certified part 107 pilot for 4 years. At this point I am not even purchasing another drone to replace the mavic 2 Pro which is perfectly functional. The reason for this is simply is getting more and more difficult to find places to fly.
Sounds like the Norwegian cruise I was on last week. We never made it to Halifax because of hurricane Fiona. Ended up spending that day in Boston.

Good thing you didn't bring your drone as Norwegian (if that is your cruise line) doesn't allow drones to be brought aboard. I looked at it very closely and decided to leave mine at home, too.

If you are looking for something to do in Saint John, check out Woodchuck Axe Throwing. They are about 1/2 mile from the dock and offer a deal to folks on the cruise. Be careful as it is also a bar. 🪓

Just learned today that Canada requires registration of drones in excess of ???grams.
Registration is required for small Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g or heavier.

You also need a sRPAS certificate to fly those (even as a Canadian). The basic certificate is pretty easy (it's what I have) the advanced is harder and requires a flight review (which seems to be expensive).

If you are not a Canadian citizen you also need a Special Flight Operations Certificate to fly, even for flights that wouldn't require one if you were Canadian.

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial law and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC-RPAS to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You can fly here with just a basic sRPAS certificate and an SFOC, so you don't actually need to pay for the expensive flight review. The SFOC can be quite time-consuming to get, from what I've heard.

If you plan on just doing basic operations, it might be worth writing the (easy) test and applying for an SFOC.

Alternately, fly a smaller drone. I've only had my Mini 3 a couple of months, and I've already put half as many hours as I put on my Mavic 2 Pro in four years — all because it is legal to fly in so many more places!

I would think that part of the statement is untrue. The FAA has no authority to fine anyone in Canada and since we do things differently here you can post any photos or video for profit once your back in Canada.
Seriously?! What an obtuse comment.

If you fly in the US, claiming recreational exemptions, then later use a video of the flight for monetary purposes, you’ve just proven your intent for the flight at the time you made it. That’s the violation.

It doesn’t matter where you are when you post it, and you could very well expect an administrative fine from the FAA.

The fact that the fine is not enforceable here in Canada matters little; just wait until the next time you enter the US and enjoy the hospitality you receive with an arrest warrant for the outstanding fine. 🤣😂

If you fly in the US, claiming recreational exemptions, then later use a video of the flight for monetary purposes, you’ve just proven your intent for the flight at the time you made it. That’s the violation.

It doesn’t matter where you are when you post it, and you could very well expect an administrative fine from the FAA.

The fact that the fine is not enforceable here in Canada matters little; just wait until the next time you enter the US and enjoy the hospitality you receive with an arrest warrant for the outstanding fine. 🤣😂
Is this some sort of yeah let them fly, but we have the self incriminating evidence on video? Let's let the violators turn themselves in.

The FAA would care less.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Possibly, or perhaps they would take issue?…

But you’re now changing your stand from saying they can’t enforce their regulations on Canadians. 🇨🇦🦅

So, anyway…. Good luck with that.
Not changing my stands at all. If you think they (FAA) has man power to search youtube for Canadian drone pilots breaking some USA law I have some swamp land to sell you.

Isn't it time that the various countries/regions (USA, Canada, UK, Eu) recognize each other's certificates for hobby flying? I have EU and UK A1/A3 as well as A2 - I also have US Trust (really easy). I did not check the Canadian SFOC, but I expect is is comparable to US/UK A2. Obviously, local regulations are different but not that different!
As an alternative, make it possible to get such a certificate with an on-line exam, which is especially useful for holiday makers.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I have talked to a some professional (commercial) drone pilots. here. Most say that once coming back to Canada and using photos and or video when you did not apply for a 107 is a big grey area. Most said it would come down to the intent before hand. So basically if on vacation and when back you decide you wanted to use a video or a photo on a monetized youtube channel there would be no problem. If you are running a company and doing work in the USA you will for sure need the 107. Most said once you cross the border what you do with the media is up to you and not much can be done by the FAA.
So I will go with its a grey area and not worry about any deportation back to the USA for a photo of my vacation :rolleyes:

Edit:

Director of photography at CBC/Radio-Canada and Director of photography at NBC

Studied Communications, Television, radio and Print journalism at Camosun College, Victoria, BC
replied this to me.
"The FAA has bigger fish to fry."

Last edited:
I have talked to a some professional (commercial) drone pilots. here. Most say that once coming back to Canada and using photos and or video when you did not apply for a 107 is a big grey area. Most said it would come down to the intent before hand. So basically if on vacation and when back you decide you wanted to use a video or a photo on a monetized youtube channel there would be no problem. If you are running a company and doing work in the USA you will for sure need the 107. Most said once you cross the border what you do with the media is up to you and not much can be done by the FAA.
So I will go with its a grey area and not worry about any deportation back to the USA for a photo of my vacation :rolleyes:
That's supposedly part of the joys of a sub250g. Not having to worry about your carry on.

Registration is required for small Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g or heavier.

You also need a sRPAS certificate to fly those (even as a Canadian). The basic certificate is pretty easy (it's what I have) the advanced is harder and requires a flight review (which seems to be expensive).

If you are not a Canadian citizen you also need a Special Flight Operations Certificate to fly, even for flights that wouldn't require one if you were Canadian.

You can fly here with just a basic sRPAS certificate and an SFOC, so you don't actually need to pay for the expensive flight review. The SFOC can be quite time-consuming to get, from what I've heard.

If you plan on just doing basic operations, it might be worth writing the (easy) test and applying for an SFOC.

Alternately, fly a smaller drone. I've only had my Mini 3 a couple of months, and I've already put half as many hours as I put on my Mavic 2 Pro in four years — all because it is legal to fly in so many more places!
I recently took and passed the Transport Canada Advanced written test (I'm a US citizen/Part 107), which gets me the Basic Operations Certificate, but I still have to take an in-person flight review to get my actual Advanced Certificate. I spoke with several flight schools about arranging the review and eventually spoke with a very helpful representative of Transport Canada who helped clarify one key point: the Special Flight Operation Certificate (SFOC) that is required for foreigners to operate in Canada is only good for a specific mission and/or narrow time frame. In other words, if I wanted to travel to Canada for aerial jobs I would have to reapply for another SFOC each trip/job. This seems absolutely crazy to me.

On the other hand, I was perfectly welcome to do pretty much whatever I wanted with any sub-250g aircraft. I wish I had known all that before spending the time and effort outlined above.

I recently took and passed the Transport Canada Advanced written test (I'm a US citizen/Part 107), which gets me the Basic Operations Certificate, but I still have to take an in-person flight review to get my actual Advanced Certificate. I spoke with several flight schools about arranging the review and eventually spoke with a very helpful representative of Transport Canada who helped clarify one key point: the Special Flight Operation Certificate (SFOC) that is required for foreigners to operate in Canada is only good for a specific mission and/or narrow time frame. In other words, if I wanted to travel to Canada for aerial jobs I would have to reapply for another SFOC each trip/job. This seems absolutely crazy to me.

On the other hand, I was perfectly welcome to do pretty much whatever I wanted with any sub-250g aircraft. I wish I had known all that before spending the time and effort outlined above.
We used to be able to get a standing SFOC after a few missions but that was for Canadians so not sure if that would work for Americans.
The system really needs improving even for us here in Canada. Not every part of Ontario where I live has a person that can give you a in-person flight review so I would have to travel somewhere to get mine.

Sounds like the Norwegian cruise I was on last week. We never made it to Halifax because of hurricane Fiona. Ended up spending that day in Boston.

Good thing you didn't bring your drone as Norwegian (if that is your cruise line) doesn't allow drones to be brought aboard. I looked at it very closely and decided to leave mine at home, too.

If you are looking for something to do in Saint John, check out Woodchuck Axe Throwing. They are about 1/2 mile from the dock and offer a deal to folks on the cruise. Be careful as it is also a bar. 🪓
Just returned from our Princess cruise which included St John's and Halifax. Happy to report that we had great weather and did not miss any ports. In St john's, we took a 2-hour ride to Hopewell Rocks* which are very scenic. In Halifax simply walked the Boardwalk instead of an excursion to Peggy's Cove from Halifax which was teeming with tour groups. Had visited both venues almost 50 years ago using large format black and white photography. See photos from Hopewell Rocks and Peggy's Cove 1974:
Dinosaur Rock (Hopewell Rocks)
Flower Pot Rock (Hopewell Rocks)
Peggy's Cove
Peggy's Cove 2

*Administrator at Hopewell Rocks said I would be in big trouble had a drone been used. Asked about coming off season. She said by then the area is frozen and treacherous. 😢

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv