DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mike_Flys

Reactions
I was invited to a Drone Nerds/DJI presentation in Hollywood Fl yesterday and got to play with the OSMO Mobile 2 and actually fly a Mavic Air!

DUjUpSgVMAE11Tk.jpg

The winds were about 25 mph, it flew great, and still got nearly 20 minute flight times.
Nice little copter. It wouldn't replace my Mavic Pro due to the shorter flight time, gimbal limits, and the fact I already own my pro, but I really like the new features especially the APAS in backwards flight. The new shots are cool, and while I never thought I would need them I found I actually like the idea of popping it out with out the controller/phone and doing a quick selfie with hand gestures occasionally.

Maybe there is room for one in my drone feet.

Mike

Gimbal limits??

The Mavic Air gimbal tucked up inside it doesn't have the range of motion as the Mavic Pro/Platinum... So the drone can't tilt as much to correct for the wind and still keep the shot framed, which is why it is rated at a lower wind speed than the Pro.
It's not that the Mavic Air can't handle the wind, its that it can't keep the shot framed in as high a wind as the Mavic Pro.
We flew in some pretty heavy wind guests yesterday, and it flew great

Basically what I should have said was the lower wind rating of the Air.

BTW it is really quick in Sport mode.

Mike

Reactions: Superdaddy
Sorry to bug you but.... any comment on range?

No bother.

First off I'm really not the guy that should be commenting on Range. I never fly beyond LOS.

The Mavic Air has way more range than the spark, but less than the Mavic pro of course.
I only had it out over the ocean a few hundred feet from where I was but the screen never even flickered and I never lost control.

I believe DJI when they say it has a range of 2 miles.
I also know from experience with various types of carrier waves that the max range is always assuming there is noting in between you and what you are communicating with.
If you put a building in between you and the Mavic Air I have not doubt even at a few hundred feet you will have issues.

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If I can reliably get half the claimed distance, I’ll be happy. I too like to keep the craft within LOS otherwise I get nervous and begin to think how stupid I will feel if I lose it.

Were you able to capture any Jpeg images with it? Hoping they have fixed the watercolor effect of the Pro.

No bother.

First off I'm really not the guy that should be commenting on Range. I never fly beyond LOS.

The Mavic Air has way more range than the spark, but less than the Mavic pro of course.
I only had it out over the ocean a few hundred feet from where I was but the screen never even flickered and I never lost control.

I believe DJI when they say it has a range of 2 miles.
I also know from experience with various types of carrier waves that the max range is always assuming there is noting in between you and what you are communicating with.
If you put a building in between you and the Mavic Air I have not doubt even at a few hundred feet you will have issues.

Mike
What is LOS?

I am looking to buy my first drone and have been torn between the MA and the MPP.

If you were in my shoes which would you buy as your first drone?

I was invited to a Drone Nerds/DJI presentation in Hollywood Fl yesterday and got to play with the OSMO Mobile 2 and actually fly a Mavic Air!

DUjUpSgVMAE11Tk.jpg

The winds were about 25 mph, it flew great, and still got nearly 20 minute flight times.
Nice little copter. It wouldn't replace my Mavic Pro due to the shorter flight time, gimbal limits, and the fact I already own my pro, but I really like the new features especially the APAS in backwards flight. The new shots are cool, and while I never thought I would need them I found I actually like the idea of popping it out with out the controller/phone and doing a quick selfie with hand gestures occasionally.

Maybe there is room for one in my drone feet.

Mike

Reactions: Marco Cantieni
I am looking to buy my first drone and have been torn between the MA and the MPP.

ASSUMING The range turns out to be acceptable, I would buy the Mavic air because of the obstacle avoidance, the redesigned gimbal and the portability.

Reactions: Mike_Flys

As a beginner I would recommend the Air. It is cheaper and offers a bit more security than the MP. What drone to buy also depends on you plan to use it. Are you more the practical person who does prefer having nice results quickly a drone that assists a lot and is safe would be the best choice.

If you more a person with a technical attitude that want to use most of gears potential than the MP is the better choice. To reduce initial cost you could consider getting a used MP

Does the roll axis stay level while strafing at full speed in sports mode? The spark suffers from the housing not allowing the gimbal to tilt far enough...

As a beginner, you shouldn't look at either of those drone. You should be looking for a cheap $20-50 drone that has no flight assist, and you should learn how to actually fly the drone. The DJIs don't teach you anything outside of how easy it is to move a drone where it manages all the stabilization, case-in-point: I have personally let people that have zero experience with drones or RC fly my P3 and P4, and they all figure it out within minutes. But, that's because the drone does everything for you. Well, everything until lose GPS signal, then you realize how little you know about flying a drone. And that's where flying a cheap drone comes into play: you will know how to correct a drone that is no longer stabilized by software.

Also, doing this will allow time for the Mavic Pro II to be announced and/or released, which will be a step up over the Air.

Reactions: superdave5050
Does the roll axis stay level while strafing at full speed in sports mode? The spark suffers from the housing not allowing the gimbal to tilt far enough...

Yes. The gimbal does not have the travel of the Mavic Pros gimbal, so in sport mode if you push it hard you can reach the limits of the gimbal travel.
Like I said previously the lower wind rating is from the limited gimbal movement as well. It can handle more wind in sport mode but the gimbal will max out.

Mike

Reactions: KNAVE
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada