DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong interference to aircraft

chippenpuepp

Reactions
After flying my Mavic Air in US and Germany I took it out for the first time back home in Singapore yesterday. Location: Near (not over) Gardens by the Bay. From altitude 40m I have been getting a lot of “strong interference to aircraft....” notifications and image transmission quality was impacted. Did not go as far as planned and completed the flight without major problems. Latest firmware, calibrated compass before the flight. Any advice what might be the cause? How to review the flight log to better understand what happened?

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue yesterday flying down at Marina Barrage. At one point I completely lost control of the Mavic Air as I flew towards MBS with the video feed freezing and I wasn't able to spot it in the sky. Eventually I managed to pick the signal back up again but it was a frantic few minutes. Also interested in understanding how to view the flight log to try and pick up some clues as to what happened.

Interesting, glad you managed to gain back control. I hope there is no anti drone solution at play (such as jamming frequencies used by drones)

That happens to me every now and then. Primarily in the city... there's just too much wifi signals interfering with yours. That's when I know it's time to bring it back home.

I noticed the other day that what was causing my interference was leaving the 3G/4G data on. As soon as I would put the phone in airplane mode, the interference would stop. Turn off airplane mode (Wifi and bluetooth off, GPS on), and it would immediately loose signal. This was true for 2.4GHz, but not for 5.8GHz. This was in an area with very weak 3G/4G signal, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. So from now on, I'll only leave the wireless signal on long enough to download the map, and then go into airplane mode; at least if I'm trying to use 2.4 GHz.

I noticed the other day that what was causing my interference was leaving the 3G/4G data on. As soon as I would put the phone in airplane mode, the interference would stop. Turn off airplane mode (Wifi and bluetooth off, GPS on), and it would immediately loose signal. This was true for 2.4GHz, but not for 5.8GHz. This was in an area with very weak 3G/4G signal, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. So from now on, I'll only leave the wireless signal on long enough to download the map, and then go into airplane mode; at least if I'm trying to use 2.4 GHz.

Thanks for the advice. Will be back at the same location on Monday and try if it makes a difference!

I can't understand why they would change to a wifi connection. Of course in heavy wifi areas (all over the world less a jungle) this is going to cause interference...

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue yesterday flying down at Marina Barrage. At one point I completely lost control of the Mavic Air as I flew towards MBS with the video feed freezing and I wasn't able to spot it in the sky. Eventually I managed to pick the signal back up again but it was a frantic few minutes. Also interested in understanding how to view the flight log to try and pick up some clues as to what happened.

You shouldn’t worry it would just return home, assuming you set a home point and have enough juice. I’ve come from a Pro to the Air, and have got used to the notion that the range isn’t quite what the Pro was, but it’s not holding me back at all. If it loses signal so be it, I know it will always come back.

When my MA stopped responding to stick commands, likely due to EM interference, I was surprised that it responded to RTH. While I was glad that it did, I am scratching my head wonder how it could receive one command and not stick commands.

Reactions: avanti1963
When my MA stopped responding to stick commands, likely due to EM interference, I was surprised that it responded to RTH. While I was glad that it did, I am scratching my head wonder how it could receive one command and not stick commands.

It may not have done, it might have been coincidence. The RTH might have initialised automatically because you’d lost all signal. Or I suppose you might have had intermittent signal?

After flying my Mavic Air in US and Germany I took it out for the first time back home in Singapore yesterday. Location: Near (not over) Gardens by the Bay. From altitude 40m I have been getting a lot of “strong interference to aircraft....” notifications and image transmission quality was impacted. Did not go as far as planned and completed the flight without major problems. Latest firmware, calibrated compass before the flight. Any advice what might be the cause? How to review the flight log to better understand what happened?
Airplane mode almost always fixes this issue. I also have it when flying two Mavics at the same time but it seems to resolve after restarting. I'm a big fan of Airplane Mode.

Reactions: bjornnetherlands
It probably was responding to stick commands but your data stream was offline.

remember that when you are aloft, you are potentially exposed to much more interference as more things have direct line towards you. just over a ridge could be a tower that finally has LOS and can interfere.

Hi guys,
I called DJI with this problem after reading here for help but with no effect. DJI told me to do compass calibration every time you fly in a different area. If you fly more times at same place you don't have to do that each time. Also they told me (by iPhone) to switch off WiFi and Bluetooth in settings, complete switch off and not standby. I also have a friend who fly an Mavic Pro and he told me to use the original iPhone cable and not the one from DJI. For now i have no problems at 120 meter high and 400 meter distance when i use the original cable, switch of Wifi, Bluetooth and put iPhone in airplane mode. Also every time i am on a new place i calibrate the compas. Lots of more fun when there is no problem. :)

DJI told me to do compass calibration every time you fly in a different area.

That's odd advice, and I'd argue it's not true.

I have flown a mavic pro in several different countries (USA, many different states on both coasts and hawaii, mexico, canada, scotland, costa rica, BVI, jamaica, etc ) on projects across the planet and have done maybe 1 or 2 compass calibrations.

That's odd advice, and I'd argue it's not true.

I have flown a mavic pro in several different countries (USA, many different states on both coasts and hawaii, mexico, canada, scotland, costa rica, BVI, jamaica, etc ) on projects across the planet and have done maybe 1 or 2 compass calibrations.

Thank you for answer.
I fly an Mavic Air, is i'm not for sure i did an calibration before first start. Next time i will fly at an different area and then no calibration. Maybe with no problems.

Turning off Bluetooth and WiFi... I can't wait to try this because ever since I upgraded from P3 Advanced to Mavic I can't fly without interference and I'm just going straight up in my backyard over a golf course where I always fly. P3 would go forever with no issues but the Mavic Pro isn't even flyable anymore.

Fingers crossed this works and thanks for posting.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJHind