DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Successful real-world mission by DSAR pilots this morning

I'll be honest, I was shocked it hit like that on the first drop but I wasn't too terribly high either. For the record, I wouldn't drop something from too terribly high unless there were no other options. That radio is kind of heavy and gains speed/velocity pretty quick.

Yes servo actuated would be the way to go but keep in mind that the Mavic doesn't have a lot of "extra power" to carry a payload. Where-as the H520 does as well as airframes like the Inspire have a lot of extra power when lends well to lifting larger payloads.
True about the Mavics limited payload. It's pretty comfortable lifting up to a 1/2 a pound so would need to keep that in mind.

I see how low you got with the 520 And I was thinking that you might have to drop 5 or more feet away from the target to avoid the chance of hitting them with anything heavy. I think as long as the victim is not immobile, a few feet away from them might not be a big deal.

Now, dropping something over water might be a whole different issue. It would have to float. It might be fun at the June 8th meeting for people to try their luck at dropping payloads over water and trying to hit a target.

Reactions: AMann
True about the Mavics limited payload. It's pretty comfortable lifting up to a 1/2 a pound so would need to keep that in mind.

I see how low you got with the 520 And I was thinking that you might have to drop 5 or more feet away from the target to avoid the chance of hitting them with anything heavy. I think as long as the victim is not immobile, a few feet away from them might not be a big deal.

Now, dropping something over water might be a whole different issue. It would have to float. It might be fun at the June 8th meeting for people to try their luck at dropping payloads over water and trying to hit a target.

We did a test/practice trying to drop a floating device in a river to allow for it to be carried close to the "victim".

We used life vests in one scenario and were pretty good at dropping them within arms length about 75% of the time.

Reactions: Former Member
Or drop a cell phone rescue battery so they can recharge their cell phone since they had connection before the battery died. Something all hikers should have in their backpacks.

Wow, great job! Was Shane using an ME’s speaker to talk to the women?

I posted the idea before of using a drone as a repeater to relay messages via 2m, it would be interesting to use one to drop a low watt credit card radio to the victims so that the drone can send messages back-and-forth between the rescuer and the victims.
We need to get a way for all of us HAM radio guys to meet

I posted the idea before of using a drone as a repeater to relay messages via 2m, it would be interesting to use one to drop a low watt credit card radio to the victims so that the drone can send messages back-and-forth between the rescuer and the victims.
We need a way to get all of us Ham radio guys together...Greg, K4KMK,

Charlie reported this mission by himself and Shane this morning,

“Just got home from a mission. Two women got lost in the woods, they called on the cell phone they had with them, the battery died before they could be located. A ground team saw them but couldn't figure out how to get there, so Shane directed them from the air then told them the best way to get out of the woods. There was a creek and dense woods to navigate through. The Sheriff deputies were impressed with what the drone could see from 150 feet. I didn't get a chance to fly, just was Shane's VO. Great way to start the weekend.”

:)
I live in Gallatin, TN currently own a MPP, acquired 107 certification past April. I am interested in DSAR any info or guidance to engage in this activity much appreciated. Congrats on successful mission. Lot of great ideas being brought up on how best to utilize a drone for SAR.

Reactions: BigAl07 and AMann
I live in Gallatin, TN currently own a MPP, acquired 107 certification past April. I am interested in DSAR any info or guidance to engage in this activity much appreciated. Congrats on successful mission. Lot of great ideas being brought up on how best to utilize a drone for SAR.
Have you seen our web page?

Www.dronesar.info

Or drop a cell phone rescue battery so they can recharge their cell phone since they had connection before the battery died. Something all hikers should have in their backpacks.

Good idea, unless they had an iPhone. Carrying a spare power charge pack on a drone may fall into the hazmat prohibition rules as you cant carry spare lithium batteries unless they are part of the drone’s power system.

You're invited to our next training session on Sat Jun 8 in Acworth GA. Information is in this thread:

Reactions: Rich55
WestPac in Australia Is selling these rescue drones, they appear to have different types of drop packages shown on their webpage, Including the self inflating life preserver showing in the ocean rescue video above. Another interesting use is autonomous shark detection, the video on their webpage is interesting, note at 0:26 - that surfer with the shark nearby.

I wonder how much their training classes cost, if I was local I would attend one If it was not too expensive. Sounds interesting.

Yes he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCdancer
Just curious about how he directed the women out of the woods.

I guess a “follow me” or “this way out” pointer finger sign on the bottom of the drone would’ve worked.
The ground team was on a 4 wheeler. There was a creek, thick brush and a lot of downed trees to maneuver around. we were able to see from the air the best way to navigate around all the obstacles to get to her then for them to get out. We were communicating with the ground crew via 2-way radio.

The ground team was on a 4 wheeler. There was a creek, thick brush and a lot of downed trees to maneuver around. were were able to see from the air the best way to navigate around all the obstacles to get to her then for them to get out. We were communicating with the ground crew via 2-way radio.

They were lucky to have you guys there.

Reactions: FatherXmas
True. I think Charlie said they had a phone with them until the battery died. Anyway it was just a thought.
That's how the Sheriff's Department knew they had gotten lost, they called 911. Unfortunately, the battery died before 911 could get an exact fix on them.

We need to get a way for all of us HAM radio guys to meet

We need a way to get all of us Ham radio guys together...Greg, K4KMK,
@Thunderdrones & @RCdancer - maybe consider adding a ham call field in the DSAR member roster?

Mine is KG5XX

Rich you definitely want to sign up at the link posted above. This is a great opportunity for you to get some guidance and training in person.

Reactions: Rich55
Been following this story. Hoping for a positive outcome.

"In areas that cannot be accessed, the team planned to send a rappel team or licensed, commercial drone operators."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest