DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swap Mavic Mini Samsung cells with lightweight Lipo cells??

Aviaero

Reactions
Now we all know the 2400 mAh Samsung cells Mavic Mini uses is pretty heavy :confused: (not sure why DJI chose this over any typical 2S LiPo battery). Looking carefully around pictures online of stripped Mavic Mini batteries, can't we simply swap the soldered terminals of the Samsung cells with any traditional 2S LiPo battery cells? What are the pros & cons? Please enlighten me...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

• mavic mini battery.png
    mavic mini battery.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Cw4bray
DJI chose to do it because it's cheap, Samsung 18650 cells are less than 3 usd each and they sell the battery pack for 45 usd.
It's all in the economics

Reactions: Erk469 and zeusfl
C20 Lipo 2S may work, although most are poor quality compared to these 18650s

Whatever mods I've seen online pertains to adding another battery on top of the existing battery (which involves a very tricky process of disassembly of the drone). Can't we go about simply swapping the soldered terminals of the Samsung cells? I don't see anyone has done this so far....
???

Now we all know the 2400 mAh Samsung cells Mavic Mini uses is pretty heavy :confused: (not sure why DJI chose this over any typical 2S LiPo battery). Looking carefully around pictures online of stripped Mavic Mini batteries, can't we simply swap the soldered terminals of the Samsung cells with any traditional 2S LiPo battery cells? What are the pros & cons? Please enlighten me...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The 18650 cells are most widely used in all sorts of battery packs, even in e-cars. Its proven and reliable. You can change but do not come back to the forum complaining.

Before going down that road, make sure the lighter cells have the same power capacity, otherwise your flight time will be less. Generally more powerful cell are heavier as well, in proportion to the power they are capable of delivering.

I would be 95% confident it’s a cost thing as above. Li-ion cells are easy to get a hold off.

in regards to changing to a lipo that would work in theory as the nominal charge for li-ion and lipo are the same. The hard part would be getting a lipo with same form factor and As good or better specs at a decent price.

an easy upgrade, possibly! Is say a Sony 18650 there are other li-ion cells with greater capacity and/or current. Same form factor, so easy to replace. In regards to how the software treats them is up for testing I suppose. For anyone willing to try.

The 18650 cells are most widely used in all sorts of battery packs, even in e-cars. Its proven and reliable. You can change but do not come back to the forum complaining.
Doesn't it make so much sense to ask it on the forum first?? ???

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
Before going down that road, make sure the lighter cells have the same power capacity, otherwise your flight time will be less. Generally more powerful cell are heavier as well, in proportion to the power they are capable of delivering.
I would be 95% confident it’s a cost thing as above. Li-ion cells are easy to get a hold off.

in regards to changing to a lipo that would work in theory as the nominal charge for li-ion and lipo are the same. The hard part would be getting a lipo with same form factor and As good or better specs at a decent price.

an easy upgrade, possibly! Is say a Sony 18650 there are other li-ion cells with greater capacity and/or current. Same form factor, so easy to replace. In regards to how the software treats them is up for testing I suppose. For anyone willing to try.
I get what you say, mate. But I cease to understand (apart from making the production cheaper) why DJI would use heavier Li-ion batteries for Mavic Mini but use LiPo all the same for Mavic Pro and larger versions....... WHY??

Last edited:
Reactions: volition
84ab6622390f5c7955bfaaf9daa960c0.jpg

Li-po batteries costly to manufacture, stores less power and have a shorter lifespan.
For a given volume Li-PO will be lighter and have a higher energy density- your assumption they store less power is incorrect. Both types are LiION cells, the principal difference is in the packaging and electrolyte.

Well they decided to go for lipo on the mini2, who knows what their reason for using li-ion for the mini1 was, could be availability, cost, "we can make it work with this so it's good enough", whatever...

The Japanese Mavic Mini battery uses LiPo packs but it has a 1100 mAh capacity and only weighs like 50grams. I just disassembled one and was surprised to find LiPo's inside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman