DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling batteries

What he said !
This meant monitor batteries perform, physical appearance, temperature charging discharging, flight minutes duration capacity, heavy demands such as vertical continuous ascend, and charging time duration. I've not had any abnormalities nor performance degradation, cycling thru the total five. Firmware would redflag internal deficiencies discrepancies. Never ever had any battery warns except the 30% defaulted in settings.

Has anyone else experienced swelling of their batteries with fairly little use?
I bought the drone in September, standard fly more pack. Each battery has had between 18 and 22 charges according to the Go4 App, never run down below about 20%, usually 50% max. Charged with the standard DJI charger. Sport mode is never used - its a photo bird so 75% of its time is spend in the hover and very little else.

Ive reached the point now all 3 of my batteries are so swollen underneath the slightest bang on the drone unlocks one side of the clip leaving the whole thing help on by just the clip on one side which is obviously a recipe for losing the drone if the other side detaches.

One of the batteries after a flight is so tight the power button is recessed to the point i cant push it down to power off any more.

Do these things just not like operating in warm temperatures? I live in the tropics with ambient air temps in the mid 30s celcius.

My old Mavic 1 batteries also swelled up but that was after a year of fairly heavy use.

Is there any chance of a warranty claim here or am i just screwed as its "wear and tear"? Ive just bought a new, 4th battery for flights over water as i dont trust any of the current 3 not to detach in flight and if they do, i want the drone back for a refresh claim!. View attachment 68249
Has anyone else experienced swelling of their batteries with fairly little use?
I bought the drone in September, standard fly more pack. Each battery has had between 18 and 22 charges according to the Go4 App, never run down below about 20%, usually 50% max. Charged with the standard DJI charger. Sport mode is never used - its a photo bird so 75% of its time is spend in the hover and very little else.

Ive reached the point now all 3 of my batteries are so swollen underneath the slightest bang on the drone unlocks one side of the clip leaving the whole thing help on by just the clip on one side which is obviously a recipe for losing the drone if the other side detaches.

One of the batteries after a flight is so tight the power button is recessed to the point i cant push it down to power off any more.

Do these things just not like operating in warm temperatures? I live in the tropics with ambient air temps in the mid 30s celcius.

My old Mavic 1 batteries also swelled up but that was after a year of fairly heavy use.

Is there any chance of a warranty claim here or am i just screwed as its "wear and tear"? Ive just bought a new, 4th battery for flights over water as i dont trust any of the current 3 not to detach in flight and if they do, i want the drone back for a refresh claim!. View attachment 68249
I think DJI simply states the temperature parameters that the battery can safely be operated in. Of course, the older the battery, the lower it's tolerance to the heat and cold (same as humans).

32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)

They would not replace my swollen battery and I did nothing unusual, 3 months old and they would not explain
Mike

Reactions: Elude
3 months old and they would not explain
Batteries should be covered under warranty for up to 6 months. If your battery was really less than 6 months old, then it might be worth trying to talk to a different DJI support rep.

Batteries should be covered under warranty for up to 6 months. If your battery was really less than 6 months old, then it might be worth trying to talk to a different DJI support rep.

Not if its due to operator error. DJI might have determined that the battery was subjected to circumstances outside the specs. Regardless, DJIs ruling that he is not covered, with no pertinent explanation, is troublesome.

This meant monitor batteries perform, physical appearance, temperature charging discharging, flight minutes duration capacity, heavy demands such as vertical continuous ascend, and charging time duration. I've not had any abnormalities nor performance degradation, cycling thru the total five. Firmware would redflag internal deficiencies discrepancies. Never ever had any battery warns except the 30% defaulted in settings.

Firmware "should" red flag internal deficiencies, but I would not trust the firmware after the battery has been damaged. Damaged = showing no lights at all.

The firmware has a built-in voltmeter. If the voltmeter is not reading any volts, or voltage below the threshhold that would at least generate 1 light, then either the internal cell voltage or the voltmeter is faulty. Yes the battery might work, and might last 1,000 cycles, but I would never trust it.

Reactions: mnis
Firmware "should" red flag internal deficiencies, but I would not trust the firmware after the battery has been damaged. Damaged = showing no lights at all.

The firmware has a built-in voltmeter. If the voltmeter is not reading any volts, or voltage below the threshhold that would at least generate 1 light, then either the internal cell voltage or the voltmeter is faulty. Yes the battery might work, and might last 1,000 cycles, but I would never trust it.
Each landing, apk 1st closed, rc powerdown, drone powerdown, bezel install, battery unbuckle. Twenty seconds to do it. Battery pressed on cheek and wrist veins check cool temperature. This practiced regimen eases my battery and cpu gpu thermal concerns here in tropics honolulu. Dawn dusk flights furthers coolness since broad daylight flights overheat the albedo of onnyix black factory color.
Remember heat kills. It erupts at the channel junction in fet's, and in lipo's the identical passthru interface cobalt substrate polymer incurs permanent scarring called "punch throughs"

Reactions: Former Member
I've had my M2P fly more combo 6 months back. I believe its the bad batch battery. Mine all 3 was bloating. 2 had the bad oating but still clipping in AC even when it bkoats when landing. Contacted DJI on last day or warranty and send in the pics as requested with the purchase order no. All the batteries have 20 to 25 charges in it. They replaced it under warranty. Once I got the confirmation, I send the other one which have slight bloating and also they replace and both arrived well about 10 to 14 days later.
For information, I've never used sports mode at all in my flights on runs it on sensor less mode which will achieve full forward performance. I'm in Singapore and the temp here could reach 34C at times. I've had 3 MP1 and M2P all along. My initial MP1 I used it for extreme flight, be it heights and distances and yes I abuse the batteries and the last MP1 (I supposed the latest batch) could last my abusive usage. All my old MP1 battery after 45 to 55 times usage bears bloating signs and I'll tear the case up and used it at additional batteries which hook up to the original batteries. I have no knowledge in lipo batteries and learning it the hard ways and this forum really teaches me a lot. I've been using M2P original battery charger all the while but I still deem its the bad battery batch issue by DJI. Just my opinion.
DJI have been nice to me for all my claim. I've ever had a 3 MP down. 2 in sea water due to pilot error and 1 in fresh water (MP1) due to better sudden dip in power. My luck is DJI replaced it with just the video and the flight log I sent them. That too I'm in a restricted flying zone and fly low distance flight.
My suggestion is that when writing to them for claim, I always seeking them and look up for their Co good customer experience and respond and reply. So far so good.

Last edited:
I've had my M2P fly more combo 6 months back. I believe its the bad batch battery. Mine all 3 was bloating. 2 had the bad oating but still clipping in AC even when it bkoats when landing. Contacted DJI on last day or warranty and send in the pics as requested with the purchase order no. All the batteries have 20 to 25 charges in it. They replaced it under warranty. Once I got the confirmation, I send the other one which have slight bloating and also they replace and both arrived well about 10 to 14 days later.
For information, I've never used sports mode at all in my flights on runs it on sensor less mode which will achieve full forward performance. I'm in Singapore and the temp here could reach 34C at times. I've had 3 MP1 and M2P all along. My initial MP1 I used it for extreme flight, be it heights and distances and yes I abuse the batteries and the last MP1 (I supposed the latest batch) could last my abusive usage. All my old MP1 battery after 45 to 55 times usage bears bloating signs and I'll tear the case up and used it at additional batteries which hook up to the original batteries. I have no knowledge in lipo batteries and learning it the hard ways and this forum really teaches me a lot. I've been using M2P original battery charger all the while but I still deem its the bad battery batch issue by DJI. Just my opinion.
DJI have been nice to me for all my claim. I've ever had a 3 MP down. 2 in sea water due to pilot error and 1 in fresh water (MP1) due to better sudden dip in power. My luck is DJI replaced it with just the video and the flight log I sent them. That too I'm in a restricted flying zone and fly low distance flight.
My suggestion is that when writing to them for claim, I always seeking them and look up for their Co good customer experience and respond and reply. So far so good.

Maybe it's just me, but you had puffed Mavic Pro batteries, and puffed Mavic 2 batteries, Im wondering if it's something with the way you charge or use the batteries. Im not pointing fingers, but you said that you abused your MP battery and it puffed, and then you waited until the last day of warranty to report your batch of FM M2 batteries as defective? Again, Im not accusing you of anything, but it sounds rather fishy to me.

I would not ask DJI to replace anything under warranty if it were my fault.

Reactions: Elude
I'm just sharing my experience here. What I meant by abuse my MP is that I fly heights and distance at a full throttle. I charge MP1 batteries using the original charger and does it after it colls of. I'm fine if anyone here pointing at my way of using it as I'm learning all from here.
What I'm trying to tell is that DJI do produced bad batches of batteries and hence no harm in asking them should they have the $ and resources to maintain customer relationship. We also know DJI could not prove otherwise that their batteries is 100% faultless. Ibfthey turned down my request, I'm fine with it but 3 batteries at the same time sounds somethings not right from customer point of view and if we don't highlight to DJI to look at ut, we are simply allowing other who may have the same experience and risk their precious hobby to fall out of sky and inconvenience both end, the hobbyist and the supplier. Better to inform DJI and the rest to see what we can do to minimise such occurrence. I'm thanking everyone here for such awareness as I love to do mods on damages battery and my Mavic Pro and M2 Pro. Have a nice day mate.

Reactions: CharlieR
Its apparent tropical heat sinking aint good enough. The atom jarrs in excitement as temperature ascends. Microscopic boundaries are affected deleteriously. Resultant energy annihilation steals coveted flight energies.

Find a cold climate complainant? Cold by design is standardized: sealevel 14.7psia at 68fareinheit

I'm just sharing my experience here. What I meant by abuse my MP is that I fly heights and distance at a full throttle. I charge MP1 batteries using the original charger and does it after it colls of. I'm fine if anyone here pointing at my way of using it as I'm learning all from here.
What I'm trying to tell is that DJI do produced bad batches of batteries and hence no harm in asking them should they have the $ and resources to maintain customer relationship. We also know DJI could not prove otherwise that their batteries is 100% faultless. Ibfthey turned down my request, I'm fine with it but 3 batteries at the same time sounds somethings not right from customer point of view and if we don't highlight to DJI to look at ut, we are simply allowing other who may have the same experience and risk their precious hobby to fall out of sky and inconvenience both end, the hobbyist and the supplier. Better to inform DJI and the rest to see what we can do to minimise such occurrence. I'm thanking everyone here for such awareness as I love to do mods on damages battery and my Mavic Pro and M2 Pro. Have a nice day mate.
And that's fine you could choose to fly the way you do but in the end you will need to remember that we do not know the actual C rating of this lipo that DJI uses it's probably 30 c who knows but for the way you fly and flight characteristics like I do 3D with my helicopters and quads u would need High C- ratings it just keeps the battery cooler(doesnt get as hot) you get more punch and they won't swell versus using smaller C rating. Basically what I'm saying is you can only abuse the DJI lipos so much you can't go balls to the wall so to speak because I guarantee that c rating is no more than 30 so its not going to perform or get as many cycles as if u were just taking it easy....and it sucks because in the end we are stuck with this. there is no aftermarket lipo support. Anyway a good example of C rating in use is the other day with my arrma talion I had a 35c lipo in there did a full batteries worth of running and I noticed I just didn't have punch like I do with my Turnigy 65c also the 35c was way hotter in the end when shutting everything off.... so heat is a lipos enemy and they won't last long because of that they will start to swell and become problematic.....like my 35c quite soon ;)

I have 153 cycles on one of my M2P batteries and recently flew it 10.6km out and back.

Never store them fully charged. If they have to sit because your flying plans changed, bleed the voltage down a little from the peak with a quick flight. Unfortunately M2 batteries are stuck with 10 days to auto discharge which is part of the problem.

Store in the coolest place possible. I put all my batteries in the basement on the floor.

Don't put heavy loads on a cold battery. Best to preheat it before flying in colder climates.

Reactions: Elude and Mike4884
You're right Mike. Here in tropical climate heat does have the effect on lipos. Yes DJI lipos may use battery with lower C ratings. But the current MPP batteries I used for MP is quite a good ones and it still works as it should. Now I'm looking at MP2 batteries to see if it really have the problem which MP have and the first batch fly more combo I have it is bloating. Let's see if the replacement ones hold to its performance as I used MP2 on normal flight without sports mode.

I have 153 cycles on one of my M2P batteries and recently flew it 10.6km out and back.

Never store them fully charged. If they have to sit because your flying plans changed, bleed the voltage down a little from the peak with a quick flight. Unfortunately M2 batteries are stuck with 10 days to auto discharge which is part of the problem.

Store in the coolest place possible. I put all my batteries in the basement on the floor.

Don't put heavy loads on a cold battery. Best to preheat it before flying in colder climates.
It all boils down to temperature and heat removal. Entity fails: convection blower and or radiator fin bat cooling can actually enhance bat cooled perform at still net yield plus of mains battery consume.
Think about it. Put yourself in that sealed compartment. Figures, huh? None heat transfer

I'd get those batteries out of your house if they are swelling. LiPo fires are not fun

Yes, once discrepant deficient toss or claim it
You can be severely burned nearby, its 60watts!

They would not replace my swollen battery and I did nothing unusual, 3 months old and they would not explain
Mike

DJI so far have replace one out of two of my batts as i had a sudden crash when one of my batts (which was bloated) pooped out during landing
i had to send them my flight data as well as my my battery info to them for review
after a week they sent me a notice to replace one battery and then the other pending investigation of my flight data before deciding on replacement.

Do note they will have about 2 - 3 different staff attending to your case asking the same things like flight data info, video (optional) and your battery serial number

DJI so far have replace one out of two of my batts as i had a sudden crash when one of my batts (which was bloated) pooped out during landing
i had to send them my flight data as well as my my battery info to them for review
after a week they sent me a notice to replace one battery and then the other pending investigation of my flight data before deciding on replacement.

Do note they will have about 2 - 3 different staff attending to your case asking the same things like flight data info, video (optional) and your battery serial number

I guess I have not really looked but where do you get the battery information - is there a log or place in the DJI Go or Assistant where the info is available? Thanks in advance.

is there a log or place in the DJI Go or Assistant where the info is available?
The "Aircraft Battery" section of the DJI GO settings will show you the following information for the currently installed battery:
  • Times Charged
  • Serial Number
  • Production Date
  • Current Voltage & Temperature
  • Individual Battery Cell Voltage

Reactions: ff22
So it appears bloating end result is casualty. So it appears mishap bloating apparently relates to the common denominator heat. And heat relates back to the flown environment. Too hot spells recharging disaster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead