DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tentative Schedule for SAR training on Jun 8th at Acworth Beach, GA

Our meeting will focus on water search and rescue. The mission will be almost entirely over water. If you have never flown over water before, this is a great opportunity to do it with others who have. I will have a couple of Gettrbacks available to lend out.

Here is the fictional scenario
  1. A boaters family reported that he failed to return home after a day at the lake
  2. Boater was last seen in this Litchi search area
  3. Boat color not yet known
  4. Boat was a small, 1 person craft
  5. Boater was wearing a bright green tee shirt
  6. Boater is a middle aged male
  7. Boater is a diabetic, so might be unconscious and unable to communicate
  8. Boater is wearing a white life jacket
Following is a link to the Litchi search area.

1. Please download it.
  2. Set up your grid.
  3. Make your mission a maximum of 13 minutes from take-off to being back on the ground.
  4. Based on the speed you choose to use, you might want to add, subtract, or edit your waypoints to fit into the 13 minutes. You can also increase your cruise speed to cover more area. I have found the ideal DSAR cruise speed to be around 4-7 mph.
  5. Save your mission to the Mission Hub and /or your device.
Please let me know if you have any questions. You can ask here in this thread.

I was out there today, and made sure the area is clear of obstacles in our flight paths, so there will be no problems flying at 150'.

For safety reasons, here are some ground rules:
  1. Please keep your aircraft flying in front of you at all times.
  2. Please dont fly over the parking area in front of the pavilion.
  3. Please do not start your motors under the pavilion or on a table.
  4. Before spooling up your motors please shout out "taking off" and try to make sure everyone has your attention. If someone else is taking off, please let them get airborne.
  5. Before landing: at least 1 minute before landing please call out "landing" and try to make sure everyone has your attention. If someone else has called out "landing" please let them land and get their drone before you land.
  6. Takeoff and climb to waypoint 1 at 30' to make sure the drone is flying well. If your drone is not flying well, you are still over land, so it will be possible to abort or land vertically. WP 1 is already set up in the mission.
  7. Search altitude is set to approx 150', no lower. We might assign different higher altitudes to help aircraft separation if multiple drones are in the air, we will let you know way before the meeting.
  8. Maximum of 3 SAR drones at any one time flying this mission. We might assign flight departure times based on what time you are ready to fly. Please wait at least 1 minute for any departing drones to clear the area.
  9. Please stay within the search area. Dont fly over the golf course or beach, and try to stay over the water except when departing and landing.

Here's the plan:
  1. Start off at Pavilion 4.
  2. Dont walk out to the LZ unless you are ready to fly.
  3. Nobody should be on the flight line unless they are getting ready to fly, or have just landed.
  4. Call out "taking off" but also use your common sense.
  5. If there is someone fiddling with their drone on the LZ, ask them if they are going to takeoff. If not ask them to take their drone off the LZ.
  6. Walk out the back of the pavilion and put your drone on a landing pad.
  7. Execute the mission in Litchi.
  8. Drone will spool up, take off, and head to waypoint #1. Altitude set at 30'
  9. Drone will then climb to 150' AGL and begin its mission.
  10. Upon completion, drone will end up at WP #9, and hover at 150'.
  11. If it is clear to land bring it back to the homepoint.
  12. You could also hit RTH after you have arrived at WP 9 if the LZ is clear.

Last edited:
Our meeting will focus on water search and rescue. The mission will be almost entirely over water. If you have never flown over water before, this is a great opportunity to do it with others who have. I will have a couple of Gettrbacks available to lend out.

Here is the fictional scenario
  1. A boaters family reported that he failed to return home after a day at the lake
  2. Boater was last seen in this Litchi search area
  3. Boat color not yet known
  4. Boat was a small, 1 person craft
  5. Boater was wearing a bright green tee shirt
  6. Boater is a middle aged male
  7. Boater is a diabetic, so might be unconscious and unable to communicate
  8. Boater is wearing a white life jacket
Following is a link to the Litchi search area.

1. Please download it.
  2. Set up your grid.
  3. Make your mission a maximum of 13 minutes from take-off to being back on the ground.
  4. Based on the speed you choose to use, you might need to make more or fewer waypoints to fit into the 13 minutes. You can also increase your cruise speed to cover more area.
  5. Save your mission to the Mission Hub and /or your device.
Please let me know if you have any questions. You can ask here in this thread.

I was out there today, and made sure the area is clear of obstacles in our flight paths, so there will be no problems flying at 150'. Scenario will be similar to the following:

For safety reasons, here are some ground rules:
  1. Please keep your aircraft flying in front of you at all times.
  2. Please dont fly over the parking area in front of the pavilion.
  3. Please do not start your motors under the pavilion or on a table.
  4. Before spooling up your motors please shout out "taking off" and try to make sure everyone has your attention. If someone else is taking off, please let them get airborne.
  5. Before landing at least 1 minute before landing please call out "landing" and try to make sure everyone has your attention. If someone else has called out "landing" please let them land and get their drone before you land.
  6. Takeoff and climb to waypoint 1 at 30' to make sure the drone is flying well. If your drone is not flying well, you are still over land, so it will be possible to abort or land vertically. WP 1 is already set up in the mission.
  7. Search altitude is set to approx 150', no lower. We might assign different higher altitudes to help aircraft separation if multiple drones are in the air, we will let you know way before the meeting.
  8. Maximum of 3 SAR drones at any one time flying this mission. We might assign flight departure times based on what time you are ready to fly. Please wait at least 1 minute for any departing drones to clear the area.
  9. Please stay within the search area. Dont fly over the golf course or beach, and try to stay over the water except when departing and landing.

Here's the plan:
  1. Start off at Pavilion 4.
  2. Dont walk out to the LZ unless you are ready to fly.
  3. Nobody should be on the flight line unless they are getting ready to fly, or have just landed.
  4. Call out "taking off" but also use your common sense.
  5. If there is someone fiddling with their drone on the LZ, ask them if they are going to takeoff. If not ask them to take their drone off the LZ.
  6. Walk out the back of the pavilion and put your drone on a landing pad.
  7. Execute the mission in Litchi.
  8. Drone will spool up, take off, and head to waypoint #1. Altitude set at 30'
  9. Drone will then climb to 150' AGL and begin its mission.
  10. Upon completion, drone will end up at WP #9, and hover at 150'.
  11. If it is clear to land bring it back to the homepoint.
  12. You could also hit RTH after you have arrived at WP 9 if the LZ is clear.

Excellent! I sent an email to all the registered attendees directing them to this post.

Last edited:
The other scenario station will be an FPV flight to the north over the school and library buildings to do a damage assessment flight.

Here's the scenario:
  • a tornado struck the area to the north
  • power is out in the area
  • roads are debris-strewn and impassible to vehicles
  • we understand there is substantial damage to buildings in the area
  • the Red Cross wants to do a damage assessment with your drone
I will play the Red Cross damage assessment expert standing beside you and ask you to do different things. One thing I will ask you to do is to manually orbit something. Here is a video explaining how to do manual orbits. I suggest you practice this technique before you come to Acworth.

Last edited:
At the June 8th training, this warning sign will be given free to the pilot who executes (in my humble opinion) the best orbits during his/her damage assessment flight.

Attachments

• caution-aerial-filming-and-photography-drone-floor-sign-s2-4054.png
    caution-aerial-filming-and-photography-drone-floor-sign-s2-4054.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: BigAl07
Looks like I’ll be making the trip from Austin TX, leaving Thursday mid morning so I can be there by Friday. Now I need to pay someone, just who and how much? And I need the physical address useless I missed it above. If I did please be nice and don’t cyber bully or cyber shame me, I already know I have issues.

Looks like I’ll be making the trip from Austin TX, leaving Thursday mid morning so I can be there by Friday. Now I need to pay someone, just who and how much? And I need the physical address useless I missed it above. If I did please be nice and don’t cyber bully or cyber shame me, I already know I have issues.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your attendance, sir , is on me. I know you wont like that, but we wont take a penny of your money. You are very welcome.

Reactions: TR Ganey
I’m a civilian and based on these post it’s probably a good thing I wasn’t in military, I can’t figure out where to go. I have a good idea based on info here, but a physical address means my dumb self won’t get lost

That map is showing me a couple parks, what’s the name of the park?

Sorry about that! It is Cauble Park, Pavilion #14.

Free flight from sunrise until 0900.
Then Litchi missions from 0900-1200
Meeting and DSAR presentation by Bob and Tim 1200-1400 in the rec center (air con and food)
1400-2100 flying, swimming, open time.

Reactions: BigAl07
Now that’s the text I needed!!!! I know right where to go now!! Thanks sooooo much buddy, I did pay just a few minutes ago and like I said I paid $40, this is a great cause and the funds can always be used for something good

Now that’s the text I needed!!!! I know right where to go now!! Thanks sooooo much buddy, I did pay just a few minutes ago and like I said I paid $40, this is a great cause and the funds can always be used for something good

We appreciate your contribution and for driving so far to attend. Your presence is very welcome.

Which drones are you bringing? Aside form a mug from Bob, I might have something special for you.

Sorry about that! It is Cauble Park, Pavilion #14.

Free flight from sunrise until 0900.
Then Litchi missions from 0900-1200
Meeting and DSAR presentation by Bob and Tim 1200-1400 in the rec center (air con and food)
1400-2100 flying, swimming, open time.

You said pavilion 14 but the picture and previous note showed #4, did the pavilion # change?

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki