DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tentative Schedule for SAR training on Jun 8th at Acworth Beach, GA

I can bring all of the new Mavic 2’s all 4 of the new ones. I also have the new Evolve drone that came out with the 2 screens. Sounds like over kill, but if people want to see them and haven’t had a chance I can bring that stuff with me.

Awesome. Im not sure who said that "one can never have enough drones." Maybe it was me...

Lol, yeah I have some issues I’m trying to work thru with a councilor. I just love these dang things

We are going to have a 5 passenger pedal boat. Once the work is done, members and their families are free to use it. Just dont make us come over there to find you!

Reactions: RCdancer
Ok just booked room at Fairfield inn, looks pretty close to park. Looking forward to the training

Is there a recommendation on what drones we should bring, I have the phantom 4pro+ or whatever it’s called with the attached screen, or should I bring the Mavic2’s? I figure you will say “whatever you will use during a real event” I guess I’m asking for your opinions on what drone would you guys recommend for a real world event?

That is really a great question that nobody has asked yet. One of our Mods here has several drones that he keeps on standby. He has small ones and big ones, I guess depending on the mission. Im not sure if anyone is bringing something as big as an M200, but someone local might be bringing a $20,000 Matrice.

That being said, A few members have the M2ED because of the FLIR camera. Most of the members from the past meeting had M2's, MP's, MA, P4P, but I didnt see a Spark.

For SAR in general, it would help to have a drone with an optical zoom, so that if you see something, you can get lower and closer with the cam. Another thing that really helps is as big a display as you can bring. Some members had CS 7.85, others had iPad minis, and others just used their phones. The object is to bring whichever device will give you the best chance of finding the victim. It also really really helps if you can bring a whole second setup, such as a second controller and display bound to your drone so a VO can see the display while you are flying your mission. In real time SAR, I always see a huge display sitting on a table, and the firemen or rescue workers evalutaing it.

So, You might bring a few drones, and also a couple of extra displays so that a VO can maybe see something you missed, and have you circle back around.

Have you used Litchi much? If not, you can get some great ideas in the meeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Smalls
That is really a great question that nobody has asked yet. One of our Mods here has several drones that he keeps on standby. He has small ones and big ones, I guess depending on the mission. Im not sure if anyone is bringing something as big as an M200, but someone local might be bringing a $20,000 Matrice.

That being said, A few members have the M2ED because of the FLIR camera. Most of the members from the past meeting had M2's, MP's, MA, P4P, but I didnt see a Spark.

For SAR in general, it would help to have a drone with an optical zoom, so that if you see something, you can get lower and closer with the cam. Another thing that really helps is as big a display as you can bring. Some members had CS 7.85, others had iPad minis, and others just used their phones. The object is to bring whichever device will give you the best chance of finding the victim. It also really really helps if you can bring a whole second setup, such as a second controller and display bound to your drone so a VO can see the display while you are flying your mission. In real time SAR, I always see a huge display sitting on a table, and the firemen or rescue workers evalutaing it.

@anzacjack made a nice setup with big display mounted to the inside of a hard case. He bound that to his controller via wireless FM, and its a really nice setup. He can walk quite far away from his tabletop display and still have 2 displays working simultaneously.

So, You might bring a few drones, and also a couple of extra displays so that a VO can maybe see something you missed, and have you circle back around.

Have you used Litchi much? If not, you can get some great ideas in the meeting.

Great! I’ll bring a few drones and displays to see what works best for me

While I have a M2ED and MAir, I also flew my Spark at the last session to illustrate that it can be useful in some SAR ops. In marginal conditions, I like to put the Spark up first; if it can handle it I know the bigger drones can. A Spark is perfectly capable in some situtations - i.e., a cliff rescue scenario, etc.

Reactions: Smalls
Doug is coming all the way from central TX. Thumbswayup He will probably win the cool hat for furthest distance traveled. If he's up for it, he might be interested in starting a DSAR chapter out there.

Reactions: Smalls
Just a reminder that families are welcome - my wife is coming. There's a lovely beach to enjoy. We will all do lunch in the air-conditioned room that Rob reserved.

Plus they can either all be astonished and applaud the climactic "Apocalypse Now" formation flight at the end of training ... or comfort their spouse who lost his drone to a noble (but ultimately foolish?) endeavor.

No guts, no glory.

Just a reminder that families are welcome - my wife is coming. There's a lovely beach to enjoy. We will all do lunch in the air-conditioned room that Rob reserved.

Plus they can either all be astonished and applaud the climactic "Apocalypse Now" formation flight at the end of training ... or comfort their spouse who lost his drone to a noble (but ultimately foolish?) endeavor.

No guts, no glory.

Go big or go home!

Reactions: RCdancer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki