DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFR for the Super Bowl

railfan-eric

Reactions
I saw in the news that there is a TFR of 30 miles from the Super Bowl. Why is it so far out? How can flying closer to the stadium be so bad as long as it's not right up on it and over it? I don't see why you can't fly drones to like a block or two from the stadium? If you was a few city blocks away you wouldn't be interfering with the stadium and be too far away to record the games. I don't see the need to extend it that far out.

I saw in the news that there is a TFR of 30 miles from the Super Bowl. Why is it so far out? How can flying closer to the stadium be so bad as long as it's not right up on it and over it? I don't see why you can't fly drones to like a block or two from the stadium? If you was a few city blocks away you wouldn't be interfering with the stadium and be too far away to record the games. I don't see the need to extend it that far out.

I was actually just on the FAA website and saw that same news on their website (faa.gov), and was wondering WTF with the THIRTY mile TFR... That seems RIDICULOUS to me personally...

It's not that I know the area as I do not live anywhere near there and I have never even been there or anywhere near there but: you mean to tell me, if I live 29 miles away from the stadium, I will not even be able to legally fly because of the TFR because of some stupid game taking place TWENTY-NINE MILES away :O

Oh well, I thank god every day that I do not live in Commiefornia >.>

Could POTUS be stopping in for the game? 30 miles sounds like something they do when the president comes to town. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Sparc343
The FAA announcement is badly written to make it seem like it’s 30 miles just for drones… it’s actually 30 miles for all aircraft, including drones. Here’s the TFR (link).

Could POTUS be stopping in for the game? 30 miles sounds like something they do when the president comes to town. Just thinking out loud.

Wouldn't that (possibly) apply to even former presidents? Just wondering since I know prior presidents are entitled to many ongoing "perks" even after being president (like continuing to receive secret service protection, and continue to receive "classified" information)?

and - I sure hope that's what it means, because 30 MILES seems insanely ridiculous to me...

Reactions: Prop Wash
News media has jumped on the anit-drone thing ever since that guy few one into a game. As someone pointed out above, it's not just for drones. I think everything other than commercial flights are restricted to. No small planes. I think. Don't quote me.

Reason really is just terrorism. A small plane could do a suicide bombing and with all those people it would be mass destruction and loss of life worse than 9/11. 20,000 people in that one spot. And don't forget, there was a huge crude drone attack using consumer drones with hand grenades a while back on the US military in the middle east somewhere. It failed by they are very nervous about drones now.

Yeah this one is crazy. Drones flights are already prohibited in the 30-mile radius TFR. But then there is another TFR with a radius of 1 nautical mile around the stadium specific to drones. And then there is another TFR with a radius of 0.5 nautical miles around the stadium, also specific to drones. I guess they really want people to know they’re dead serious when it comes to drones.

”UAS OPR WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 10 U.S.C.SECTION 130I AND 6 U.S.C.SECTION 124N, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE(DOD), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY(DHS) OR THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE(DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED ACFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FAC, OR ASSETS.”

I‘m sure Aeroscope will be in full force and effect!

A 30 mile TFR makes sense for the President dropping by but it also makes sense as a precautionary measure to protect against aircraft crashing into a crowd of 70000 people. It much easier to intercept every flying object that comes within 30 miles than trying to get a fighter jet to intervene at 5 or 10 miles. The large TFR allows incursions to be dealt with long before it becomes a critical situation.

DJI Aeroscope works at a distance of up to 50km / 30 miles and would do a fine job of detecting our pesky drones.... however my guess is the US government probably has their own system that doesn't come from a company on the blacklist.

As mentioned, the TFR is not just for drones. It's for all aircraft. 30 miles will give the authorities time to detect, ID, and intercept any aircraft, like a Cessna 172, that is about to; or has entered the TFR.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah this one is crazy. Drones flights are already prohibited in the 30-mile radius TFR. But then there is another TFR with a radius of 1 nautical mile around the stadium specific to drones. And then there is another TFR with a radius of 0.5 nautical miles around the stadium, also specific to drones. I guess they really want people to know they’re dead serious when it comes to drones.

”UAS OPR WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 10 U.S.C.SECTION 130I AND 6 U.S.C.SECTION 124N, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE(DOD), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY(DHS) OR THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE(DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED ACFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FAC, OR ASSETS.”

I‘m sure Aeroscope will be in full force and effect!
The 1 NM radius UAS TFR (2/2450) runs from 1000 - 1430 PST - before the game. Then the 30 NM general TFR (2/1850) takes over from 1430 - 2030 PST.

The 1 NM radius UAS TFR (2/2450) runs from 1000 - 1430 PST - before the game. Then the 30 NM general TFR (2/1850) takes over from 1430 - 2030 PST.
Ah okay, thanks!

I was actually just on the FAA website and saw that same news on their website (faa.gov), and was wondering WTF with the THIRTY mile TFR... That seems RIDICULOUS to me personally...

It's not that I know the area as I do not live anywhere near there and I have never even been there or anywhere near there but: you mean to tell me, if I live 29 miles away from the stadium, I will not even be able to legally fly because of the TFR because of some stupid game taking place TWENTY-NINE MILES away :O

Oh well, I thank god every day that I do not live in Commiefornia >.>
I know right? not sure if California has anything to do with it if its' the FAA making the rules. I'm not into sports either. I saw on the news that they're blocking off the ocean near that area too. WTF? So boats can't even be in the area. are they blocking off the streets from the vehicle traffic too?

Also interesting since the new stadium is just 1/2 mile from the final approach to LAX so I doubt they are banning flights into LAX
Read more about TFR's.... Commercial and Authorized Aircraft will be allowed into/through the TFR just like almost any other time. You can bet your bottom dollar they aren't going to disrupt Commercial Air Travel especially on such a busy day.

Now John Q. Public tooling around in his Cessna 172 for a Sunday evening joy ride is going to get some harsh words and if ignored some unfriendly "winged" visitors if they violate the TFR without approval.

Ok folks... this is not anything new.... we've have 30NM TFR's for the Super Bowl and VIP events every year since 9-1-1 happened. Let's think BIG PICTURE here and outside of our own personal sand-box. This is Standard Operating Procedures for a Super Bowl.

I know right? not sure if California has anything to do with it if its' the FAA making the rules. I'm not into sports either. I saw on the news that they're blocking off the ocean near that area too. WTF? So boats can't even be in the area. are they blocking off the streets from the vehicle traffic too?

No it probably has nothing to do with CA (I just despise that state, among a few others)... I'm also not into sports, at all. I just can't understand watching a bunch of other people do active stuff! On the other hand I've accepted invites in the past to go to random games (of any sport) with friends, and I'll go - because it's something to do IN PERSON. I just cannot grasp people (and so many at that) to be SO into it that they watch it on TV! Like, GET UP AND DO SOMETHING lol .. oh well, so while I am surprised at some of this, I'm also not .. I've known so many people that literally idolize sports, like they know every player and their full career statistics LOL (which is very sad to me)...

But that's ok, I also hypothesize sports is just one of the ways "they" want us distracted! Another reason I refuse to follow ANY sport...

Reactions: Dale D
Read more about TFR's.... Commercial and Authorized Aircraft will be allowed into/through the TFR just like almost any other time. You can bet your bottom dollar they aren't going to disrupt Commercial Air Travel especially on such a busy day.

Now John Q. Public tooling around in his Cessna 172 for a Sunday evening joy ride is going to get some harsh words and if ignored some unfriendly "winged" visitors if they violate the TFR without approval.

Ok folks... this is not anything new.... we've have 30NM TFR's for the Super Bowl and VIP events every year since 9-1-1 happened. Let's think BIG PICTURE here and outside of our own personal sand-box. This is Standard Operating Procedures for a Super Bowl.

Sorry, still "brand new" to drone piloting, and airspace things. Good to learn and know that there is some history to this though! So this has actually been SOP for any stadium event since 9/11 (also, please forgive me for I am not into sports) ???

Reactions: BigAl07
News media has jumped on the anit-drone thing ever since that guy few one into a game. As someone pointed out above, it's not just for drones. I think everything other than commercial flights are restricted to. No small planes. I think. Don't quote me.

Reason really is just terrorism. A small plane could do a suicide bombing and with all those people it would be mass destruction and loss of life worse than 9/11. 20,000 people in that one spot. And don't forget, there was a huge crude drone attack using consumer drones with hand grenades a while back on the US military in the middle east somewhere. It failed by they are very nervous about drones now.
Well that's not an argument seeing as how a school like OSU has over 100k plus people in attendance at its home games and they have a TFR of 1 NM most of the time.

Sorry, still "brand new" to drone piloting, and airspace things. Good to learn and know that there is some history to this though! So this has actually been SOP for any stadium event since 9/11 (also, please forgive me for I am not into sports) ???
Not "any" stadium there are criteria determining TFR or not and how large of one but every Super Bowl absolutely so.

No it probably has nothing to do with CA (I just despise that state, among a few others)... I'm also not into sports, at all. I just can't understand watching a bunch of other people do active stuff! On the other hand I've accepted invites in the past to go to random games (of any sport) with friends, and I'll go - because it's something to do IN PERSON. I just cannot grasp people (and so many at that) to be SO into it that they watch it on TV! Like, GET UP AND DO SOMETHING lol .. oh well, so while I am surprised at some of this, I'm also not .. I've known so many people that literally idolize sports, like they know every player and their full career statistics LOL (which is very sad to me)...

But that's ok, I also hypothesize sports is just one of the ways "they" want us distracted! Another reason I refuse to follow ANY sport...
I am a member of the watch Non sports crowd too. When I think of the 35 years of studying and education and exams, and stress and sacrifice on my body to become a physician, I cannot tolerate that a bunch of guys running up and down a field or a court earning millions deserves it. Yes, they are are talented, but I actually have more respect for people with brains than muscles. Sports is all about the big money for the players, the networks and the advertisers. I will not contribute to that scheme by turning those games on or attending one.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78