DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There is no DJI ban. Please disregard any story that says there is.

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey all, I've been going crazy this morning with calls and such about U.S. Commerce Department's placement of DJI on their Entity List.

Haye (as usual) took the time to get it right instead of trying to get it first. If you read any story that says it is some kind of ban, and will affect U.S. drone buyers, it is an inaccurate article.

At worst, this could disrupt a Chinese company's supply chain if they're on this list, and they source components from U.S. manufacturers.

Here is Haye's article: Commerce department add DJI to its economic blacklist | DroneXL.co

That's how I read it. Wasn't worried. Worst thing that might happen is a price increase.

Reactions: Vic Moss
The restricted list would impact the parts and movement of parts also. Any where the govt is involved(port of entry), we will see a delay or denial. App store blocking is a bigger decision and I think DJI can circumvent that with LCD screens.

The restricted list would impact the parts and movement of parts also. Any where the govt is involved(port of entry), we will see a delay or denial. App store blocking is a bigger decision and I think DJI can circumvent that with LCD screens.
It's only one way, not for imports.

Reactions: AZDave
Having tried to read and absorb the information from various sources it appears to me that there is a chance that the smart controller might be the most effected consumer product by this as its Android based. I cant speak to the Prosumer or industrial/ professional market since I have no knowledge of that whatsoever. I know that Android is open source but it does rely heavily on Googles appstore and other 'seasonings'. That's why Huawei started building its own OS. Android without Google is very limited without a lot of work, almost as much as building your own OS that you now have full control over. A lot of people can sideload apps and sometimes, depending on hardware and such, even get the appstore sideloaded but that can be burdensome and clunky. Even getting the full Google suite on a Fire tablet doesn't always work perfectly and you're left out of some common third party apps without jumping through more hoops. It does appear though that most of their hardware technology is now being designed and fabricated in house or locally sourced vs being of US design. And that's my biggest takeaway, US design. You don't have to be using a US manufactured Motorola chip( for example) to be blocked. If its a US company DESIGN, no matter where or by whom its manufactured, then it could be banned.
I could be wrong but that's how I read things.

Having tried to read and absorb the information from various sources it appears to me that there is a chance that the smart controller might be the most effected consumer product by this as its Android based. I cant speak to the Prosumer or industrial/ professional market since I have no knowledge of that whatsoever. I know that Android is open source but it does rely heavily on Googles appstore and other 'seasonings'. That's why Huawei started building its own OS. Android without Google is very limited without a lot of work, almost as much as building your own OS that you now have full control over. A lot of people can sideload apps and sometimes, depending on hardware and such, even get the appstore sideloaded but that can be burdensome and clunky. Even getting the full Google suite on a Fire tablet doesn't always work perfectly and you're left out of some common third party apps without jumping through more hoops. It does appear though that most of their hardware technology is now being designed and fabricated in house or locally sourced vs being of US design. And that's my biggest takeaway, US design. You don't have to be using a US manufactured Motorola chip( for example) to be blocked. If its a US company DESIGN, no matter where or by whom its manufactured, then it could be banned.
I could be wrong but that's how I read things.
Close, but no.

At the worst, when it comes to software or apps, Google (in this case) will have to obtain a license to sell their software to DJI. And odds are they already have one for other companies in similar situation.

I am a prime candidate for a drone update but this Ban has now given me second thoughts. I know some people will run out to buy a drone in case the prices goes up, but I am also looking at the software and server access parts of the equation and I am not 100% sure Apple or Android will be offering the App and secondly even if I side load the App its possible that DJI authorization servers may be blocked by US ISP's. Lastly it is very possible that the Chinese may retaliate and in turn the US may put on further DJI restrictions. At this point I will wait it out as I don't want to buy something that may be bricked later or have no parts available for it. I also don't see the new administration lifting these Bans anytime soon.

As of now No ban on purchasing or using DJI drone. However Vic & Robbyg mentioned, there can be issues with app store/android if they(justice dept & FAA) start implementing the commerce dept guidelines-(that you cant provide service from US to these companies). Service includes hosting in app store or even selling the product. I personally think waiting is a better approach for ppl wanting to buy new DJI drones. It is bad time for us for now with new FAA rues and this **** thing. In Europe, London has already put restrictions on 250g drones with camera for 2021. please read that news elsewhere.

Reactions: Robbyg
In Europe, London has already put restrictions on 250g drones with camera for 2021.
If you mean <250g, then only that you have to register as a drone operator, which was not a requirement before. The new rules are otherwise probably less strict than they used to be.

I am a prime candidate for a drone update but this Ban has now given me second thoughts. I know some people will run out to buy a drone in case the prices goes up, but I am also looking at the software and server access parts of the equation and I am not 100% sure Apple or Android will be offering the App and secondly even if I side load the App its possible that DJI authorization servers may be blocked by US ISP's. Lastly it is very possible that the Chinese may retaliate and in turn the US may put on further DJI restrictions. At this point I will wait it out as I don't want to buy something that may be bricked later or have no parts available for it. I also don't see the new administration lifting these Bans anytime soon.
ISP blocking would be pointless as that is easy to circumvent. Many free VPNs can do the job. Just google "free VPN"

The US blocked DVDFAB servers, so DVDFAB just set up their own in China.

For DJI, setting up a file server website would be a no brainer. I run one from my home for a historical photo archive that I run which can be accessed from anywhere in the world, 27/7 and the servers almost run themselves, including security, fault notification, and routine maintainence

I wouldn't overthink this, in today's technological climate, nothing is impossible. Buy your drone and let the politicians do their own thing. Much of what is read in the papers is journos creating a scare story to keep their editors happy, (fear sells anything, including a newspaper) or shots across the other sides bow as a prelude to discussions.

Last edited:
ISP blocking would be pointless as that is easy to circumvent. Many free VPNs can do the job. Just google "free VPN"

The US blocked DVDFAB servers, so DVDFAB just set up their own in China.

For DJI, setting up a file server website would be a no brainer. I run one from my home for a historical photo archive that I run which can be accessed from anywhere in the world, 27/7 and the servers almost run themselves, including security, fault notification, and routine maintainence

I wouldn't overthink this, in today's technological climate, nothing is impossible. Buy your drone and let the politicians do their own thing. Much of what is read in the papers is journos creating a scare story to keep their editors happy, (fear sells anything, including a newspaper) or shots across the other sides bow as a prelude to discussions.
VPN's are an option but once again China owns 30% of the VPN companies so who knows what would happen to those companies if DJI started promoting VPN work around's.

It might also not be in DJI's best interest to allow any drone reporting that it is in the USA to use another countries IP for registration. And the idea of DJI operating their own servers in the USA would also be seen as a work around by the state department.

As @kumar stated it's best just to hold off and see what happens. I suspect that their is no way China is just going to let this go without some form of retaliation and that retaliation could lead to another round of tightening of restrictions on DJI.

Reactions: kumar
I personally do not think they really did this as some sort of gesture based on labor camp surveillance, it is most likely designed to hit China in the wallet and therefore I think all of this talk about it meaning nothing to DJI and that they will continue as normal does not seem likely.
As I’ve said in other threads, this excuse for putting them on the Entity List is nonsense. You can’t hold a manufacturer responsible for what their products are subsequently used for after they’re sold on the open market.

I personally do not think they really did this as some sort of gesture based on labor camp surveillance, it is most likely designed to hit China in the wallet and therefore I think all of this talk about it meaning nothing to DJI and that they will continue as normal does not seem likely.
Placing DJI on the Entity List doesn't hurt China. There is nothing on a Mavic motherboard on the protected list that couldn't be replaced with a non-US part. If anything, this hurts US suppliers more than anyone else.
As for Biden, I have serious doubts that he will do anything right now. The majority of Americans are unified on the China trade subject due to the current pandemic. I don't think any President is going to get public support if he starts getting friendly with China right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maelstrom
Holding mfrs responsible for how their products are used depends on the nature of the transaction and if the mfr knew what it would be used for.

Besides, China is a communist country. It allows for private business but the businesses aren't as free from government control as many of us are accustomed to.

Placing DJI on the Entity List doesn't hurt China. There is nothing on a Mavic motherboard on the protected list that couldn't be replaced with a non-US part. If anything, this hurts US suppliers more than anyone else.
It's about the $$$.
When China wants to buy crude oil from middle east or Africa those countries want payment in US Dollars and only in US Dollars. When China buys IC Chips or food products from the USA it's all bought in US dollars.

This is the greatest power that the US holds against almost every country. Even Russia want's US dollars from China if it sells it some sort of military device to them and vice versa. Nobody Want's Yen's, Pounds or Ruble's when making trade deals. Almost all Trade deals done on the planet are done in US Dollars.

So when DJI or Huawei are hindered from Supplying the Chinese government with US Dollars from their sales it hits the Chinese Government foreign exchange income.

Last edited:
No one is saying much about the reason, genocide certainly gives me pause, I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t read about this a week ago, I could return still but I guess that would mean I would be droneless

No one is saying much about the reason, genocide certainly gives me pause, I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t read about this a week ago, I could return still but I guess that would mean I would be droneless
Might not be saying nothing as this thread hasn’t been posted
in in almost 1 year 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: AZDave
Hey all, I've been going crazy this morning with calls and such about U.S. Commerce Department's placement of DJI on their Entity List.

Haye (as usual) took the time to get it right instead of trying to get it first. If you read any story that says it is some kind of ban, and will affect U.S. drone buyers, it is an inaccurate article.

At worst, this could disrupt a Chinese company's supply chain if they're on this list, and they source components from U.S. manufacturers.

Here is Haye's article: Commerce department add DJI to its economic blacklist | DroneXL.co

Recent DJI ban, might have big consequences. To those that do not see it:

If Gov. is not allowed to invest in those companies, it will not be allowed to buy DJI hardware. If Gov. is not allowed to purchase the hardware, every government vendor/contractor during next compliance screening might be asked if they are using products from the ban list…

I’m not sure what percentage of DJI sale is government/corporate contractors, but I would assume it will hit them hard, and few wedding photographers with their Mini 2 and Mavic 3 purchases might not save the US market.

It is not immediate, it will take few months/years, but check if you can buy P40 (Huawei) from your local cell carrier, yes you can buy it on ebay or Amazon but not from Version or others. All the local DJI stores might be closing if Police and gov will not be using DJI.

There might be few reasons for this ban:

Less likely: They do not want this tech in the hands of people, it will be produced by local military contractors and gov will still have their small drones, paying way more money for it, that’s more likely reason. Remember 150k USD mini recon helicopter that was smaller than Mavic mini, all the “research and development” story we were fed…That was scam like no others.

Genocide is just an excuse, and has nothing to do with the ban.
I wonder if we will be able to register drone on the ban list or fly one in certain air spaces.

Maybe skydio will pick up the slack, they are US based company after all, but I have a feeling it will go to mil contractor where more money can be extracted, if you don’t know what it is about, it must be about the money.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan