DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

WOW
That’s all I got from wasting time reading this.
Who uses their RC app/monitor for surfing the net as they’re flying??
Your video( that you claim you had no control over) looks to me like you liked the attention and egged them on by keeping your camera right on them.
You could’ve walked away and landed, or flew farther out so the kids didn’t feel they had to Perform for you. If I just came across this video by itself, it looked like you were doing them service by recording their fun.
Sounds like you need to use an IPad or some other dedicated monitor so you can play Sudoku while you’re flying.
Appreciate the Warnings, but your problem will Never happen to me
You should change the title from “Your “ to “My” , it’ll be more accurate [emoji6]

Last edited:
Not to demean the thread, but i just gotta say this reminds me of those Lawyer commercials;
"Have you or a loved one died from using a drone?, if so, you may be eligible for a Huge Cash Settlement!"

Reactions: MichiganMavic
GA works by digitizing your voice and sending that digital data to Google servers for analysis. After the Google server figures out what you want it sends commands and data back to your phone. Turning the phone's radio on while trying to maintain a remote control radio connection with your drone is not recommended. To prevent this from happening just turn on airplane mode to shut down the phone's radios while flying. By the way, the further you are from the cell tower the more power your phone will use to maintain a connection. Not a good environment for radio remote control ops.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I don't understand how this is a real problem. With every DJI drone that has a controller your phone can completely crash and the controller can still safely operate the drone. I don't see how Google Assistant would create an unsafe situation since the drone isn't being controlled by the phone, but by the controller.

Reactions: frank candor
I don't understand how this is a real problem. With every DJI drone that has a controller your phone can completely crash and the controller can still safely operate the drone. I don't see how Google Assistant would create an unsafe situation since the drone isn't being controlled by the phone, but by the controller.
It's called RF interference. You have a transmitter in your phone that can overwhelm the radio receiver in the remote control due to it's proximity.

Reactions: frank candor
also, some of these people often fly beyond their line of sight.

Reading this thread and your postings on this topic over at phantompilots it may help to clarify one point. Were you actually using the phone with google assistant to fly or your goggles? If the GA enabled device wasn’t connected to the controller suggesting it caused the issue should be considered a long shot as the potential cause rather than prime suspect.

You talk alot Mr Gowland but action is where you fall short the pilot with a Google assistant unbelievable and you wonder why you can't find someone else who does this. When you fly close all other apps put phone in aeroplane mode open go4 and try to be responsible. And Mr Gowland we are trying to help you I hope you have learnt something.
Oh mel.m please do not go to this video it will certainly end "with great disappointment". Just do not watch it.
Again I was accosted by teens talking to me just like talking to GA. No different. They were drunk as ****, what could I have done but bit my lip and continue to take video.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
And in the silence I suddenly understood the many ways
a person can die but still be alive

It's called RF interference. You have a transmitter in your phone that can overwhelm the radio receiver in the remote control due to it's proximity.

The cellular radio in the phone isn't going to interfere with the OcuSync radios - different frequencies. And the DJI GO 4 app is designed to be used with cellular data enabled to provide real time mapping.

OK so i did 3 test flights.

I enabled the utterly pointless assistant thing (which is far slower for every known task than actually typing or using the phone normally).

Devices used Pixel 2XL and Huawei mediapad M3.

On all the flights i actually left 4G/WiFi/Bluetooth on which i never normally do.

During the flight i did the "OK Google" thing. Assistant loaded and "worked" as normal. Nothing happened to the drone. It just stayed where it was and under normal RC stick controls.
Second test i app switched to the assistant and loaded it manually. Again nothing happened to the drone.
In both cases i just task switched back to Go4 to continue looking at the video.

I also cant find a single other post from anyone else reporting an issue despite the majority of people having these things running.

So maybe its a particular issue with your phone or that particular brand of butchered android Samsung use on the S4. But its certainly not a problem worth exagerrating and claiming its going to kill someone. Thats laughable.

You dont understand how 3g/4g work. It maintains a continuous connection and normally data stream. Loading assistant or anything else doesnt increase the power or do anything at all to the transmission.

Reactions: dawgpilot
OK so i did 3 test flights.

I enabled the utterly pointless assistant thing (which is far slower for every known task than actually typing or using the phone normally).

Devices used Pixel 2XL and Huawei mediapad M3.

On all the flights i actually left 4G/WiFi/Bluetooth on which i never normally do.

During the flight i did the "OK Google" thing. Assistant loaded and "worked" as normal. Nothing happened to the drone. It just stayed where it was and under normal RC stick controls.
Second test i app switched to the assistant and loaded it manually. Again nothing happened to the drone.
In both cases i just task switched back to Go4 to continue looking at the video.

I also cant find a single other post from anyone else reporting an issue despite the majority of people having these things running.

So maybe its a particular issue with your phone or that particular brand of butchered android Samsung use on the S4. But its certainly not a problem worth exagerrating and claiming its going to kill someone. Thats laughable.
It seems that to reproduce the subject conditions of claimed concern more accurately you might need to run GA on a device other than the one you are running go on (don’t have it connected to the RC).

Last edited:
Your DJI Drone could kill you or someone close to you.
Or at least do some serious damage to you or people near you!

Please send this serious warning to as many places as possible.
If you are flying with an Android device and initiate Google Assistant with “Ok Google” or “Hi Google” and you are flying your DJI drone with DJI go app your aircraft becomes totally out of control.
Take a look at this video.
I have been in constant contact with DJI, almost 20 emails for many weeks and they refuse to put out a general warning to DJI go app users not to engage Google Assistant.
Their response has been this.
“Kindly noted that I have updated the flightrecords as you provided back on MAR 21ST to the Field Application Engineering team…”
“As you mentioned, on your previous emails, it is unsafe for the people around. We appreciate your effort however to provide us with the needed records for our designated developers to review the flight and confirm your claimed issue with the DJI GO 4 app when used with the Google Assistant.”

DJI know there is a problem and a serious one. I know they are working very hard at solving the problem, but they are refusing to warn the public.

Please pass this warning to as many as you can.
This is weird, I thought for sure that I saw pretty much this same thread several months ago, but you just posted this one yesterday. Someone else must have posted the same issue a short time ago, because I know I saw it...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sathwik