DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

I don’t normally use android devices with my DJI drones. But even with the apple iPods & iPhones, I learned a long time ago, when originally flying the P1 and P2, not to have any other apps open in the background due to potential interference with flying the aircraft.
Mmm. What device were you using with your P1 and P2?

Last edited:
Have you tried flying with your phone in flight mode? This should resolve the problem and also prevent losing your screen info if someone tries to call you whilst flying.
Looking at your video you seemed more concerned with the app than flying the aircraft ie using the controller for a while, and once you did some stick inputs the mavic seemed to obey those stick inputs. I remember a post on here quite some time ago from an experienced pilot saying in an emergency your focus should be on flying the aircraft and that's saved me lots of times when I've had app disconnects/freezes. I'm also not sure how you had no idea where it was? I could hear the aircraft for a lot of the flight and if you lost sight of it why not bring up the map, turn it towards you and fly it back manually, at least then you'd know if you still had control. Maybe set a max distance of 50m and max alt of 50m in the settings and do some testing/practice. Best of luck.

Genius. Do you think the OP might have created this thread if his concerns weren’t genuine? Personally I don’t think there is much if any chance GA is implicated however there is no need to put the boot in.
I think people are being a little harsh as this thread has already been played out weeks ago with no evidence, that is easily supplied, being given. Now he is back again with the same story and still no logs. It’s obviously a problem with his system that we could all probably benefit from if he supplied the logs.

I remember a post on here quite some time ago from an experienced pilot saying in an emergency your focus should be on flying the aircraft.
1.Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate

I think people are being a little harsh as this thread has already been played out weeks ago with no evidence, that is easily supplied, being given. Now he is back again with the same story and still no logs. It’s obviously a problem with his system that we could all probably benefit from if he supplied the logs.
I’m with you 100%- it just gets a little on the rude side when people are having a crack that clearly haven’t read the thread and don’t understand the issue.

Have you tried flying with your phone in flight mode? This should resolve the problem and also prevent losing your screen info if someone tries to call you whilst flying.
Looking at your video you seemed more concerned with the app than flying the aircraft ie using the controller for a while, and once you did some stick inputs the mavic seemed to obey those stick inputs. I remember a post on here quite some time ago from an experienced pilot saying in an emergency your focus should be on flying the aircraft and that's saved me lots of times when I've had app disconnects/freezes. I'm also not sure how you had no idea where it was? I could hear the aircraft for a lot of the flight and if you lost sight of it why not bring up the map, turn it towards you and fly it back manually, at least then you'd know if you still had control. Maybe set a max distance of 50m and max alt of 50m in the settings and do some testing/practice. Best of luck.

On my fully-updated iPhone XS Max with Airplane Mode engaged and Hey, Siri enabled, I am absolutely pulled out of DJI Go. Airplane Mode will not fix your digital assistant (at least in iOS) from pulling focus and chiming in.

She won’t be able to actually answer any questions or look up anything but she absolutely pulls focus away from your primary app -and- force portrait orientation on your phone. Which is the opposite of DJI Go’s flight orientation of landscape.

One press of the activation button on the side brings me right back to my DJI Go app.

But you should absolutely disable wake words when flying. So many things can trigger your digital assistant besides you saying “Hey, Siri” or “Hello, Google”’ or whatever the heck it is.

I think A LOT of you missed the whole point of the OP.
Is there ANYWHERE in DJI documentation that warns the end user about using the device, phone or tablet, for doing anything else while flying? Thats the point.

If you were a new user and only read the DJI manual, would you know this, and is this a problem that DJI, and other drone makers need to address? Not using your device while flying for anything other than flying is quite obvious to most pilots, but that doesn't mean it is to everyone.

If this could be recreated, and then when the problem arrises, disconnect the phone....if the drone immediately corrects itself...then we have a possible answer.

Does common sense really need to be put down in writing? If someone needs to be told that leaving the Go4 app to use other apps/functions on their phone is a bad idea while they’re flying they probably shouldn’t be flying a drone in the first place.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Jesus [emoji849] Of course your ‘digital assistant’ of choice will take focus. That’s what it does for gods sake. Press a button and as if by magic you’re back in the DJI Go app and your quad is still flying because IT DOES NOT NEED THE APP TO FLY!

Learn how to not only use your phone of choice but also how to operate your quad too. If some of you people operated your car like this you’d be banned from driving.

It’s not rocket science sigh!

Last edited:
Reactions: Amarand

47db422083e4124e7d9993507764bc04.jpg

Oh mel.m please do not go to this video it will certainly end "with great disappointment". Just do not watch it.
Again I was accosted by teens talking to me just like talking to GA. No different. They were drunk as ****, what could I have done but bit my lip and continue to take video.

Yea I get "accosted" by young girls flashing their breasts in Daytona every year... IT'S HORRIBLE!!!

You know, if you really cared about people you wouldn't broadcast their lapses of judgement all over the internet just to get clicks.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
To me, this sounds like filing a law suit to gmc because the driver killed or injured someone else while the driver was driving and texting on grindr at the same time...

To me, this sounds like filing a law suit to gmc because the driver killed or injured someone else while the driver was driving and texting on grindr at the same time...

Not exactly those circumstances but allegedly in Australia recently, a woman was driving and playing "chicken", posing for Snapchat, crashed a killed herself and another driver.

Not exactly those circumstances but allegedly in Australia recently, a woman was driving and playing "chicken", posing for Snapchat, crashed a killed herself and another driver.
Luckily the driver of the other vehicle survived his injuries. He has participated in at least one media interview.

How does this have anything to do with the issue?

Your DJI Drone could kill you or someone close to you.
Or at least do some serious damage to you or people near you!

Hi,

I actually use an iPad, with only apps that help me to fly my drone and nothing else...I keep Siri out of action. There is enough software in either Litchi or DJI Go4 to make flying a breeze, it does not need anything else. I wear in-ear headphones when I use Litchi and it gives me all the vital stats as I fly, without having to worry looking for everything. Thanks for the warning, I'll definitely not use Google Assistant/Siri until I read that any interference has been considered and any issues resolved.

I actually use an iPad, with only apps that help me to fly my drone and nothing else...I keep Siri out of action. There is enough software in either Litchi or DJI Go4 to make flying a breeze, it does not need anything else. I wear in-ear headphones when I use Litchi and it gives me all the vital stats as I fly, without having to worry looking for everything. Thanks for the warning, I'll definitely not use Google Assistant/Siri until I read that any interference has been considered and any issues resolved.

Me: Hey Siri, answer the phone.
Siri: Okay, crashing drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d