DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unsafe Mavic 2 Parallel Charging Hub

OC Fly Boy

Reactions
This charger gets really HOT, 146 deg F during full load, ie 3 Mavic 2 batteries + RC + 10" Samsung tablet. Too hot to touch. Worst is that it starts to cycle on/off during charging of the batteries. It's overheating, unsafe and bad for the batteries.

I also have the same charger for my Mavic Pro, it does get hot but not this hot and it's not cycling on/off on the batteries.
na.

Attachments

• 20180917_215557.jpg
    20180917_215557.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 713zlhFg5ML._SL1500_.jpg
    713zlhFg5ML._SL1500_.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Have you seen output power label? It only outputs 13,05v

That charger its not designed for Mavic 2 4s (16.4v ) batteries,

With Mavic PRO batteries that are 3s it will work fine, its designed for that votage.

Have you seen output power label? It only outputs 13,05v

That charger its not designed for Mavic 2 4s (16.4v ) batteries,

With Mavic PRO batteries that are 3s it will work fine, its designed for that votage.

That's a different model. Look at the second photo posted above - the Mavic 2 version - with an output voltage of 17.6 V.

Update - I received a message from the reseller, he is indicating a "updated" version is forthcoming to address the overheating problem... I've now returned this charger via Amazon.

Update - I received a message from the reseller, he is indicating a "updated" version is forthcoming to address the overheating problem... I've now returned this charger via Amazon.

Let us know how that goes. I use the MP version and have had no problems with it, so I'd be tempted to get the M2 version if they get it fixed.

mine comes next week from FS stop. hopefully it won’t over heat

I bought one online, but seller cancelled the order, stating that the charger ordered had failed quality tests. I wonder if that's true, or they just don't have stock....

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
I bought the M2 charger also. The fan sounds noisy and erratic. I’ll watch it carefully. Thanks for the heads up.

for the charger to simultaneously charge three batteries at 80 watts each plus the controller and a tablet, it is outputting around 260 watts. That’s a lot of power for the transformer in a relatively small box without cooling fins. That fan will need to do a lot of work to cool the charger...

for the charger to simultaneously charge three batteries at 80 watts each plus the controller and a tablet, it is outputting around 260 watts. That’s a lot of power for the transformer in a relatively small box without cooling fins. That fan will need to do a lot of work to cool the charger...

The bulk of the total power is going into charging the batteries, not being dissipated as heat in the charger. And it's not a transformer - it is a switched-mode power supply.

Reactions: LakeTravis
Still impressive they could make a device that small yet push out 280W of power. Most of my 6S chargers are much larger after you include the separate power supply and charging unit. Not surprising heat dissipation would be a problem if not properly engineered.

The bulk of the total power is going into charging the batteries, not being dissipated as heat in the charger. And it's not a transformer - it is a switched-mode power supply.
True that. Almost all DC power supplies these days are switching. No large transformers.

Still impressive they could make a device that small yet push out 280W of power. Most of my 6S chargers are much larger after you include the separate power supply and charging unit. Not surprising heat dissipation would be a problem if not properly engineered.

My thoughts exactly. I have several 6s lipo chargers that are larger, have cooling fins, and fans despite not having their own power supply.

So what do you think is causing the extreme heat in the OP post?

Switching power supplies are not 100% efficient. The cheaper ones can be 90% efficient. If you think about that, and 280w, that means it could be producing about 30W of heat. That's a reasonable amount of heat to dissipate.

Reactions: sar104
Likely that to be quick and cheap they have not redesigned the thing as they should have but have just kept the same device as for the previous ones and adjusted voltage up without taking into account that the max total power is now above what everything was designed for...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie