DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unsafe Mavic 2 Parallel Charging Hub

Switching power supplies are not 100% efficient. The cheaper ones can be 90% efficient. If you think about that, and 280w, that means it could be producing about 30W of heat. That's a reasonable amount of heat to dissipate.

Agreed - inefficient design and inadequate cooling design.

Mines is on its way via a slow boat from China, I bought via Amazon, will return for a refund if there is a problem. The only problem with the original Mavic 1 charger was the earth was not connected to the metal case, this was easy to remedy. Future versions were earthed properly.

Hi everyone!

Just a few quick updates for this issue!
1. This charger is based from the Phantom 4 chargers.

2. We updated the design to reduce the temperature - from 65C to 56C bottom and 54C top. The max temperature it was designed for is 75C so the current one is within limits. But we would like to improve the design with all your feedback.

3. We are adding bigger heat sinks on the mosfets internally.

4. Adding a on/off power switch.

The updated batch should be comming in around the first week of October.

Reactions: sar104
Hi everyone!

2. We updated the design to reduce the temperature - from 65C to 56C bottom and 54C top. The max temperature it was designed for is 75C so the current one is within limits. But we would like to improve the design with all your feedback.

Please keep us updated when the new version is available!

Is it recommended to return the 1st version? Just received one yesterday via Amazon.

Thanks
Paul C

Hi everyone!

Send me the revision and I'll provide feedback and tell you if it's fixed or not [emoji14]

Agreed - inefficient design and inadequate cooling design.
Is it recommended to return the 1st version? Just received one yesterday via Amazon.

Thanks
Paul C

The first version is rated for 75c ( same as the OEM DJI charger) when it is charging 3 batteries it will get to 60-65c at max- it is still safe to use as there is a thermal fuse as well as it is enclosed in aluminum and grounded. It is based on our phantom 4 charger that has been out for a while.

After hearing feedback for the initial units, we are listening and making improvements! You may see if you like the current version. If you would like updated version please email is at [email protected] with your order id and shipping address.

Send me the revision and I'll provide feedback and tell you if it's fixed or not [emoji14]
Of course! Please email us your order Id and we will send you one (and a return label for the old one). It won’t be ready until the first week of October though!

I bought one online, but seller cancelled the order, stating that the charger ordered had failed quality tests. I wonder if that's true, or they just don't have stock....

Newsflash for seller: It's a good idea to complete quality tests BEFORE you start selling them. :rolleyes:

Mark

I ordered the charger and filters the minute the sales opened up. Then within a week they find out the filters don't fit with the protector on, the charger gets hot and all these revisions are being made. sucks.

I ordered the charger and filters the minute the sales opened up. Then within a week they find out the filters don't fit with the protector on, the charger gets hot and all these revisions are being made. sucks.
Sorry about that! Send us a email at [email protected] and we will get them replaced for you!

I would not rely on a spot radiometer which typically gives you the average reading, plus, it probably does not have adjustable emissivity, and the angle you measure at, combined with background environmental conditions, will certainly affect the results. Finally, technically you are only measuring the surface temperature of the paint finish so your indirect method will most likley be hotter. That's the short science version! The short forum advice, unreliable!

True that. Almost all DC power supplies these days are switching. No large transformers.
yes, just about anyone can make one with an IC, a big cap and inductor, and some misc other ordinary parts. And given the price of copper these days, cheaper.

Please let us know when ready with the new upgraded version for the Mavic 2. Had the same charger for my MPP and never had an issue. I just wanted to buy the same kind as for my new M2P but will wait for your post. Thanks guys!

The bulk of the total power is going into charging the batteries, not being dissipated as heat in the charger. And it's not a transformer - it is a switched-mode power supply.
are you sure it's not a room heater? :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998